4 Hofstra basketball players charged with burglary, robbed coach's house also

4 Hofstra basketball players arrested on burglary charges; may have robbed coach's house: sources
By SELIM ALGAR, ZACH BRAZILLER and DAN MANGAN
Last Updated: 3:33 PM, November 30, 2012

View media item 152091
Hofstra University basketball players Dallas Anglin, Jimmy Hall, Shaquille Stokes and Kentrell Washington have been arrested in a string of campus break-ins. The crew even robbed their own coach's house, cops said.

Four Hofstra University hoops players today were charged with burglary for a slew of brazen thefts from fellow students' dorm rooms -- and cops suspect their own head coach was among the victims, authorities and sources said.

The trio of freshmen and one sophomore systematically stole more than an estimated $20,000 worth of Apple products such as iPads, iPods and laptops from six dorm rooms at the Long Island university -- then sold the boosted gear to other students, pawn shops and over the Internet, Nassau County cops said.

The crooked quartet -- who used their big-man-on-campus status to gain access to various dorms on the Hempstead campus -- then used the proceeds of sales to live it up on- and off-campus, police said.

Around the time those thefts began, third-year head coach Mo Cassara had an iPad and iPhone, along with cash and credit cards stolen, cops said. His four players haven't been charged for that rip-off -- but authorities suspect Cassara fell victim to the the b-ball burglary ring, sources said.

The ring was smashed after a female Hofstra student who had lost her iPad to a theft used the device's locator application to find out that the iPad had become registered to one of the players. She then reported that to authorities, who were able to use key-card records to connect the players to visits to dorms where the burglaries occured from early October until early November.

The four players charged included Shaquille Stokes, 20, of Harlem, who earlier this month was granted a hardship transfer waiver from Hawaii, allowing him to begin playing for Hofstra this year without sitting out a year as normally required of transfers. The sophomore Stokes, who has since started six our of seven games for 3-and-4 Hofstra, received that waiver because he wanted to be closer to his family and to an ailing grandmother.

Stokes, a star when he played at Lincoln HS, was slapped with the most serious set of charges -- five counts of felony burglary.

Also charged were 18-year-old freshmen Jimmy Hall of Brooklyn -- the team's second-leading scorer -- Montclair, NJ, resident Dallas Anglin and Kentrell Washington of Las Vegas.

Hall was charged with four counts of burglary, Washington was charged with two counts of the same crime, and Anglin was charged with a single count of both burglary and tampering with evidence.

None of the defendants has prior criminal charges, although Hall was booted off the national powerhouse basketball team of St. Anthony HS in Jersey City, NJ last year because of undisclosed conduct violations.

Stokes appeared at his arraignment in Nassau County Court wearing an Adidas shirt and sweatpants as he was ordered held in lieu of $25,000 cash bail on five counts of felony burglary.

Nassau County prosecutor Leemor Peled said Stokes on one date went into two separate dorm rooms and stole an iPad and a computer, and on three other dates went into three rooms and also took iPads.

"He has no criminal involvement whatsoever before this incident. He has every reason to and will return," said his lawyer Frank Whelan, who cited Stokes' community ties and his status as a scholarship athlete in an unsuccessful bid to get Stokes released on his own recognizance.

But in rejecting that request, Judge Eric Bjorneby noted, "There are statements to the police where the defendant admitted that he participated in some of these crimes."

The prosecutor said Washington is accused of taking an iPod Touch and a MacBook Pro from a Hofstra dorm room on Oct. 4 with Stokes and Hall.

"He will fight these charges because this will have an effect on his scholarship status," said Whelan, who also represented Washington at arraignment.

Washington was ordered held in lieu of $5,000 cash bail, Hall was held on $10,000 bail and Anglin on $2,000 bail. All defendants except for Anglin -- who is expected to post bail today -- remained in jail.

St. Anthony HS's legendary hoops coach Bob Hurley Sr., who had suspended Hall twice last year, said "I feel very bad for Mrs. Hall, who I think has tried to do the right things for her son, and I feel very bad for Mo Cassara and the Hofstra basketball program for giivng him a chance and this turning out to be where it is right now."

"I was forced last year because of failure to adhere to rules at school to dismiss from the team two-thirds through the season," Hurley noted.

"Anytime something like this happens, [there's] no explanation for something like that, one kid or four kids. It's mystifying that things like this are happening or happened."

So far, about $10,000 worth of stolen items have been recovered, and authorities expect to recover items worth a similar amount, they said.

Hofstra has suspended all four players from basketball team, classes, residence halls and facilities, pending the outcome of the case.

Hofstra's vice president of university relations Melissa Connolly said the school's public safety department worked with Nassau County police on the probe.

Last month, Hofstra suspended players Taran Buie and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel for violating team rules. The suspensions were for two preseason events and two regular-season games. Hofstra cited student privacy laws in providing no further information in that case.

Throwing your life away all for some crappy material junk. These dudes already were playing ball and getting an education. :smh:

The best ballers/hoopers are the ones from the street/hood. Those are the best, usually from the inner city urban areas. They are usually poor/poverty stricken.

There is a lot of dudes that threw away their NBA careers/College careers....to sling crack and bust guns in the hood and smoke all day...

They want instant gratification. Right now. Not worrying about 4 - 5 years down the line.

They should start paying College players like the pros......who in their right mind wants to play for free?

Chris Webber

Cam Newton

Reggie Bush

Terrell Pryor 

didn't want to play for free...this is no such thing as free...

A lot of these Collegiate Athletes don't even have money for the movies or to take their girlfriends out...they coach gotta give em money...

That's why they go High School straight to the league.

UNLV, Miami, Michigan = They were so dominant because they had street hood dudes.

Last edited:
These idiots throe away a free education and unlimited yambs (white snow bunny yambs too, so sweet potatoes) for this **** |I

And robbing your coach :smh:

As if athletes don't already receive enough "perks"

Only the huge multi million dollar programs.

Even still, you don't just walk into a full ride and a spot on a college basketball team. Why would they throw all that work they put in away??

Oh well, dumb ***** gonna do dumb ****. I hope they enjoy the eternal hood life.

The best ballers/hoopers are the ones from the street/hood. Those are the best, usually from the inner city urban areas. They are usually poor/poverty stricken.

There is a lot of dudes that threw away their NBA careers/College careers....to sling crack and bust guns in the hood and smoke all day...

They want instant gratification. Right now. Not worrying about 4 - 5 years down the line.

They should start paying College players like the pros......who in their right mind wants to play for free?

Chris Webber
Cam Newton
Reggie Bush
Terrell Pryor 

A lot of these Collegiate Athletes don't even have money for the movies or to take their girlfriends out...they coach gotta give em money...

UNLV, Miami, Michigan = They were so dominant because they had street hood dudes.

I'm sorry but these guys are getting a free education, free housing, free food, and umlimited access to the best yambs on campus. These dudes are idiots, not some hood kids struggling for pocket change

And get that Fab Five BS outta here. All those guys got "hundreds thousands of dollars from booster" . C.Webb and J.Rose been slanging that same **** for years and act like they were getting pocket moneyfrom a friend while at Michigan. It have been/still is the case for some players but it wasn't for the Fab Five

Last edited:
That boy from Vegas is probably like these east coast cats wilding and got me in trouble

I'm sorry but these guys are getting a free education
You think these College Athletes care about that? Most of them don't even know how to speak proper english. Most of them don't even know how to spell their name.

They are not there for education. They rarely attend classes, and get A's. The coach approaches their professors before the semester and lets them know whats going on.

They even get personal tutors, because their minds are so remedial. They need help to pass open book exams.

I'll give you the housing, food. But that's basic. That's a necessity.

I stand by statement. Start paying Collegiate athletes.

Look at Marcus Lattimore.

Sacrificing yourself for a college for free doesn't mean anything in the long run.

Nobody wants to play for free. Free doesn't exist.

That's why I don't blame the Elton Brands, Rudy Gays, Derrick Roses.

They have to get that bread. You know how many family members rely on them. Off 1 NBA player about 20-30 people eat off him. He has to secure his family.

i go to hofstra and i heard that people got robbed like crazy during hurricane sandy. SMH
mean.gif
, school is overpriced though and there are a lot of rich snobby kids that go there who don't seem to really care about the education
grin.gif

No excuse.  Dudes gonna be kicking themselves in 3 years when they can't even get a deal to hoop in Norway

Not condoning at all, but this was somewhat relatable /understandable right up until the part about robbing their own coach. :smh:

Besides being morally reprehensible, it's both disloyal and idiotic.

Only the huge multi million dollar programs.
Even still, you don't just walk into a full ride and a spot on a college basketball team. Why would they throw all that work they put in away??
Oh well, dumb ***** gonna do dumb ****. I hope they enjoy the eternal hood life.

Nah believe me I worked at a small college and the basketball team was always handed money, given top Nike stuff from clothes to kicks, they were told they eat for free around campus. Extra money went to their accounts even though their bills were paid so it's a way to produce an instant refund when you got kids struggling to pay semester to semester.

Morons . . .

They weren't robbing to eat, it says in the article the whole reason they got caught was because one of the iPads they stole was registered under one of their names . .  .

Imagine how their families feel
mean.gif

People are going to do what they know how to do to get by. This wasn't their first time doing this.

Threads like this show who hates athletes. Y'all the same ones cheering them from the stands then cursing them when they do something bad.

laugh.gif
Free education. I'm gone.

Chris Webber
Cam Newton
Reggie Bush
Terrell Pryor 

That's still no excuse to steal. The stuff you mentioned is well known. Something similar to this happened at Texas Southern earlier this year

The coach though, even if he was the Sean Woods/ Bob Knight type that's still a no no.

Spare me that growing up in the hood cop out excuse. The truth is these dudes just weren't thinking.

I personally feel like the NCAA needs to allow for larger stipends for scholarship athletes who most of the time can't work if necessary to have money.

I mean, there's so much corruption in college athletics, particularly football & basketball, and a lot of kids at major programs who are significant contributors ARE getting money outside of what they're allowed or have cozy arrangements, get plenty of benefits.

Regardless of background, their priorities and whether the education is meaningless to them or even if the college bends the rules to support their lack of a need to apply themselves in the classroom, they're still being rewarded for their hard work and/or abilities (in high school) with an opportunity. Yeah, for a good amount of stars, they want instant gratification and see it as a spring board to the pros but it's not like they're OBLIGATED to take that scholarship. But when they do, **** changes and there are still rules and laws that require them to do what they're supposed to, even if corners are cut and they get a ton of help.

It's not like a lot of college athletes actually go pro and make money off it. If they don't realize that and **** up, doing something as stupid as getting 4 teammates together to steal (trackable items too!) from classmates and their own damn coach, that's on them.

Like I said, these kids do need to be rewarded for dedicating themselves and working a full-time job for most of the year to make money for the school but still, stealing and other dumb ****? That's just something in your mindset and unfortunately a lot of it probably has to do with upbringing but you still gotta face the consequences. Most get plenty of chances and some just aren't cut out for it.

Back
Top Bottom