Originally Posted by derrty6232

From neogaf :
c7036d1d13e40a9ca5375cc10646a9593b93a666_r.jpg

eee165180daa520ba459e5283312522bdf9ce2e6_r.jpg

roll.gif

*@#@$# is making all kinds of acronyms.
laugh.gif
roll.gif
Holy crap the response to the equation made me burst out laughing. Even dude in blue looks like he's laughing.

Multiplication has precedence over Division, h/e the same rule doesn't apply to the addition and subtraction because they are lesser operations.

Jeezus Christ this thread is scary.

The O.g equation can also be re-written as: 48/(2(9+3)) or 48/(18+6).

Either case should result in 2 as your answer.

The two in the original equation is attached to the (9+3). You cannot separate the 2 from the (9+3).

All y'all getting 288 honestly need to commit that because we can't afford to have y'all spreading y'all genes.

288?...
sick.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by derrty6232

From neogaf :
c7036d1d13e40a9ca5375cc10646a9593b93a666_r.jpg

eee165180daa520ba459e5283312522bdf9ce2e6_r.jpg

roll.gif

*@#@$# is making all kinds of acronyms.
laugh.gif
roll.gif
Holy crap the response to the equation made me burst out laughing. Even dude in blue looks like he's laughing.

Multiplication has precedence over Division, h/e the same rule doesn't apply to the addition and subtraction because they are lesser operations.

The two in the original equation is attached to the (9+3). You cannot separate the 2 from the (9+3).

All y'all getting 288 honestly need to commit that because we can't afford to have y'all spreading y'all genes.

288?...
sick.gif
sick.gif

I think it's 288 
9+3=12

48/2=24

Because of the parenthesis, I figured you will multiply the 12*24 
nerd.gif

=288

I think it's 288 
9+3=12

48/2=24

Because of the parenthesis, I figured you will multiply the 12*24 
nerd.gif

=288

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

Who taught you that? I'm curious cause I've never heard that. In Canada it's taught BEDMAS and that's because multi/divisi are interchangeable. Unless you mean in this specific equation, in which case I still think you're wrong.

Who taught you that? I'm curious cause I've never heard that. In Canada it's taught BEDMAS and that's because multi/divisi are interchangeable. Unless you mean in this specific equation, in which case I still think you're wrong.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Originally Posted by OptimusADL

48/2(9+3)

a/b(c+d)

a * 1/b * (c+d)

48 * 1/2 * (9+3) = 288
indifferent.gif

"b(c+d)" is one entity. You can't separate them. Thats like trying to make a triangle have angles that don't equal 180 degrees; it's not possible. If anything you'll have to distribute to make b(c+d) = bc+bd. That's why the parenthesis has primacy over every other operation.

So what would ab(c+d) be? 
You cant add parentheses that aren't in the original equation.

48/2(9+3)

a/b(c+d)

a * 1/b * (c+d)

48 * 1/2 * (9+3) = 288
indifferent.gif

"b(c+d)" is one entity. You can't separate them. Thats like trying to make a triangle have angles that don't equal 180 degrees; it's not possible. If anything you'll have to distribute to make b(c+d) = bc+bd. That's why the parenthesis has primacy over every other operation.

2(9+3) is one entity...that's all that needs to be said. The answer is 2

48/2(9+3)

a/b(c+d)

a * 1/b * (c+d)

48 * 1/2 * (9+3) = 288
indifferent.gif

Who's adding parenthesis? I was just distributing the parenthetical expressions into a binomial.

ab(c+d) would be the same as (abc + abd)

48/2(9+3)

a/b(c+d)

a * 1/b * (c+d)

48 * 1/2 * (9+3) = 288
indifferent.gif

Who's adding parenthesis? I was just distributing the parenthetical expressions into a binomial.

ab(c+d) would be the same as (abc + abd)

288?...
sick.gif
sick.gif

orly?

It is helpful to treat division as multiplication by the reciprocal (multiplicative inverse) and subtraction as addition of the opposite (additive inverse)

2(9+3) is one entity...that's all that needs to be said. The answer is 2

288?...
sick.gif
sick.gif

orly?

It is helpful to treat division as multiplication by the reciprocal (multiplicative inverse) and subtraction as addition of the opposite (additive inverse)

Back
Top Bottom