48÷2(9+3) = ???

5601656074_df68363171.jpg

someone please tell me how this is wrong?

Originally Posted by OptimusADL

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

indifferent.gif

"b(c+d)" is one entity. You can't separate them. Thats like trying to make a triangle have angles that don't equal 180 degrees; it's not possible. If anything you'll have to distribute to make b(c+d) = bc+bd. That's why the parenthesis has primacy over every other operation.

So what would ab(c+d) be? 
You cant add parentheses that aren't in the original equation.
Who's adding parenthesis? I was just distributing the parenthetical expressions into a binomial.

ab(c+d) would be the same as (abc + abd)
Exactly.
So following that model a/b(c+d) is the same as ((a/b)c+(a/b)d).

There are no parentheses around the b(c+d) so you should be distributing "a/b" or "1/b" not just "b".
Yea but it doesn't work like that. You can only distribute multiplication. This just so happens to be a part of the parenthetical expression.

indifferent.gif

"b(c+d)" is one entity. You can't separate them. Thats like trying to make a triangle have angles that don't equal 180 degrees; it's not possible. If anything you'll have to distribute to make b(c+d) = bc+bd. That's why the parenthesis has primacy over every other operation.

So what would ab(c+d) be? 
You cant add parentheses that aren't in the original equation.
Who's adding parenthesis? I was just distributing the parenthetical expressions into a binomial.

Exactly.

There are no parentheses around the b(c+d) so you should be distributing "a/b" or "1/b" not just "b".
Yea but it doesn't work like that. You can only distribute multiplication. This just so happens to be a part of the parenthetical expression.

laugh.gif
The answer is 2. Some of y'all were in the slow classes growing up.
30t6p3b.gif

1: 48/ 2(9+3)
2: 48/ (2*9)+(2*3)
3: 48/ (18)+(6)
4: 48/ (24) or 24
5: 2

or

2: 48/ 2(12)
3: 48/ 24
4: 2

laugh.gif
The answer is 2. Some of y'all were in the slow classes growing up.
30t6p3b.gif

2: 48/ (2*9)+(2*3)
3: 48/ (18)+(6)
4: 48/ (24) or 24
5: 2

or

2: 48/ 2(12)
3: 48/ 24
4: 2

a: 48/2(9+3) = b: 48/ (2(9+3))

Even if Multi = Division, b shows that you still gotta solve, first, what's in the parenthesis. Which will still lead you to 2.

30t6p3b.gif

a: 48/2(9+3) = b: 48/ (2(9+3))

Even if Multi = Division, b shows that you still gotta solve, first, what's in the parenthesis. Which will still lead you to 2.

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by IRockTMacs

So why isn't this equation, with 48(1/2)(9+3) distributed like that?

a=48
b=1/2
c=9
d=3
Because it doesn't adhere to the distributive property rule. Y'all making this way too complicated.
I put my values in the exact spot as you did with your variables! Your ab is my 48(1/2)

from this quote:

It is helpful to treat division as multiplication by the reciprocal (multiplicative inverse) and subtraction as addition of the opposite (additive inverse)
I suppose I did change the equation from its original state, whereas you've kept it the same, but I still feel the logic is rock solid.

Not to say you "=2" boat people don't make good points, too.

I just think I'd have 100% confidence submitting 288 if that were on a test.

Originally Posted by IRockTMacs

So why isn't this equation, with 48(1/2)(9+3) distributed like that?

a=48
b=1/2
c=9
d=3
Because it doesn't adhere to the distributive property rule. Y'all making this way too complicated.
I put my values in the exact spot as you did with your variables! Your ab is my 48(1/2)

from this quote:

It is helpful to treat division as multiplication by the reciprocal (multiplicative inverse) and subtraction as addition of the opposite (additive inverse)
I suppose I did change the equation from its original state, whereas you've kept it the same, but I still feel the logic is rock solid.

Not to say you "=2" boat people don't make good points, too.

I just think I'd have 100% confidence submitting 288 if that were on a test.

Exactly.

You arent making sense. 0.5 is 1/2 just different forms of the same number.
1/2x = 1/2(x) = 0.5x

1/2x != 1/(2x)

This is why parentheses are important.

Exactly.

You arent making sense. 0.5 is 1/2 just different forms of the same number.
1/2x = 1/2(x) = 0.5x

1/2x != 1/(2x)

This is why parentheses are important.

Originally Posted by mosk33toe

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

1-1+1= 1

1-(1+1)= -1

Two different questions.
Agreed...

48/2(9+3) = 288

48/(2(9+3)) = 2

Two different questions.

What you wrote is 48 divided by 2(9+3). Even if you wrote it out, and put 48 over the bar, your answer would be 2. Two different questions, with the same answer.

Originally Posted by mosk33toe

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

1-1+1= 1

1-(1+1)= -1

Two different questions.
Agreed...

48/2(9+3) = 288

48/(2(9+3)) = 2

Two different questions.

What you wrote is 48 divided by 2(9+3). Even if you wrote it out, and put 48 over the bar, your answer would be 2. Two different questions, with the same answer.

IRockTMacs wrote:

I have my math major friend helping me out here, and I agree with his logic
laugh.gif

Then I'm sure your math major friend would tell you it's a poorly written equation and according to what program/convention you are using you could get either answer.

IRockTMacs wrote:

I have my math major friend helping me out here, and I agree with his logic
laugh.gif

Then I'm sure your math major friend would tell you it's a poorly written equation and according to what program/convention you are using you could get either answer.

Back
Top Bottom