48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

How am I not right when I listed all the possible answers?
laugh.gif
Because 8.6666666 is not an answer, not at all.
alien.gif

And 2 is not the right answer.
There is only one answer. There isn't any squared terms or anything else, it's ONE ANSWER.

laugh.gif
Because 8.6666666 is not an answer, not at all.
alien.gif

And 2 is not the right answer.
There is only one answer. There isn't any squared terms or anything else, it's ONE ANSWER.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

No newer model calculator will give you 2. If you have a modern calculator prove me wrong and see if you get 2.

QFT. People getting 2 are using the TI-00001 and @#$# 
laugh.gif

And 8.666666 is out of the question sir, you add what is in the parentheses first. 

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

No newer model calculator will give you 2. If you have a modern calculator prove me wrong and see if you get 2.

QFT. People getting 2 are using the TI-00001 and @#$# 
laugh.gif

And 8.666666 is out of the question sir, you add what is in the parentheses first. 

How is 288 the only answer when everyone and everything are arriving at different answers.

There are no directions to this problem or any demarcation if PEMDAS is to be used irrespective of distribution.

You won't find this problem in the real world without any directions.

You're not wrong, just stubborn as !**@. Give it up.

How is 288 the only answer when everyone and everything are arriving at different answers.

There are no directions to this problem or any demarcation if PEMDAS is to be used irrespective of distribution.

Originally Posted by 2g00d4u

TI-83 is old right?

5bp7hv.jpg
And it is right, you can't just throw in parentheses when it changes the whole equation.

laugh.gif

Also, this problem is highly ambiguous and will fall under those either/or questions if given on any standardized test.

It isn't highly ambiguous. There is only one answer. If you wrote the problem with parentheses in different places you would get different answers.

Originally Posted by 2g00d4u

TI-83 is old right?

5bp7hv.jpg
And it is right, you can't just throw in parentheses when it changes the whole equation.

laugh.gif

Also, this problem is highly ambiguous and will fall under those either/or questions if given on any standardized test.

It isn't highly ambiguous. There is only one answer. If you wrote the problem with parentheses in different places you would get different answers.

if you're going to throw parenthesis in there, why stop there? why not throw another parenthesis, or an exponent while you're at it.

if you're going to throw parenthesis in there, why stop there? why not throw another parenthesis, or an exponent while you're at it.

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

The calculator doesn't matter. As shown, multiple calculators can come to different answers.
It is up to the order of operations, and a calculator is not necessary to find the answer.

Originally Posted by Drunken Cow

How would you guys go about solving this problem?
1/3(x+x) = 18
Multiply each side by 3
(x+x) = 54
2x = 54
x = 27
(whoops, hit 1 instead of 2)

The (x+x) is not in the denominator. The denominator is not 3(x+x). If it was the problem would be 1/(3(x+x)).

48/2(9+3) = 288
Multiply each side by 2/48.
(9+3) = 12
9+3 = 12
12 = 12
At first I thought the answer was 2, but then again. I had to check using different numbers and variables.

1/3(x+x) = 18
Following pemdas.
1/3(2x) = 18
2x = 54
x = 27
Plugging this number in makes sense.

this is the answer people will get if you use the 288 way.

But  for the people that got 2.
1/3(x+x) = 18
1/3(2x) = 18
1/6x = 18
x = 108.
Plugging this answer back in doesnt make any sense.
I can see why the answer is 288 now, when I thought it was 2 at first.

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

The calculator doesn't matter. As shown, multiple calculators can come to different answers.
It is up to the order of operations, and a calculator is not necessary to find the answer.

Originally Posted by Drunken Cow

How would you guys go about solving this problem?
1/3(x+x) = 18
Multiply each side by 3
(x+x) = 54
2x = 54
x = 27
(whoops, hit 1 instead of 2)

The (x+x) is not in the denominator. The denominator is not 3(x+x). If it was the problem would be 1/(3(x+x)).

48/2(9+3) = 288
Multiply each side by 2/48.
(9+3) = 12
9+3 = 12
12 = 12
At first I thought the answer was 2, but then again. I had to check using different numbers and variables.

1/3(x+x) = 18
Following pemdas.
1/3(2x) = 18
2x = 54
x = 27
Plugging this number in makes sense.

this is the answer people will get if you use the 288 way.

But  for the people that got 2.
1/3(x+x) = 18
1/3(2x) = 18
1/6x = 18
x = 108.
Plugging this answer back in doesnt make any sense.
I can see why the answer is 288 now, when I thought it was 2 at first.

SOn...stop it...this was hashed out around page 35 already. You're the one being stubborn here.

You get 288 when you do the problem the RIGHT WAY.

You get 8.666 and 2 only when you apply the distributive property (which is what you've been championing for the longest). The fact that the distributive property yields two answers, depending on how you distribute, (8.666 or 2) is evidence that it is the inherently wrong path to take towards solving this problem.

UncleTomCruze wrote:
Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

Because i don't have a parenthetical symbol around 18 and 6. Read the bolded red above.

When you apply the distributive property, after the fact, the parenthesis vanishes because there's no need for them anymore. You've distributed into the function so what's the purpose of still having them.

Point is, using the Dis.property yields 2 different answers:

2 if you keep the parenthesis (which you are not supposed to, anyway)

and 

8.666 if you lose the parenthesis.

The fact that you have 2 different answers using the same process is evidence that the process is FLAWED.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)][/color]
Code:

Wow...
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I guess y'all the "baby-steps" type...
laugh.gif

Ok here goes:

48 ÷ 2 (9+3) = 48 ÷2(12)

2 (12) = 2 x 12

therefore

48 ÷2(12) = 48 ÷2 x 12.

Because the multiplication and division sign have the same precedence and/or are of equal rank, you just solve the equation from left to right:

48/2 = 24 x 12 = 288.

This is the correct answer.

Now using the DISTR. property, you get:

48 ÷ 2 (9+3) =

48 ÷ (2x 9) + (2x3) =

48 ÷ 18 + 6

Applying PEMDAS results in: 48/18 = 2.666 + 6 = 8.6666.

OR

48 ÷ 2 (9+3) =

48 ÷ (18+6) =

48/24 = 2

See here we have two different answers when you use the distr.property and that why it's the wrong way to go. You can't just choose to accept the answer you agree with and disregard the one you don't agree with even though you're using the same process.

Y'all problem is the fact that y'all not even using the distributive property correctly. After distributing, the parenthesis vanishes. You don't keep it. It doesn't stay.

How y'all arguing for a property and don't even know the governing dynamics...
alien.gif
alien.gif
30t6p3b.gif

In either case, whatever answer you get is still WRONG as the correct answer is 288.

It's the distributive method that is wrong.

SOn...stop it...this was hashed out around page 35 already. You're the one being stubborn here.

You get 288 when you do the problem the RIGHT WAY.

You get 8.666 and 2 only when you apply the distributive property (which is what you've been championing for the longest). The fact that the distributive property yields two answers, depending on how you distribute, (8.666 or 2) is evidence that it is the inherently wrong path to take towards solving this problem.

UncleTomCruze wrote:
Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

Because i don't have a parenthetical symbol around 18 and 6. Read the bolded red above.

When you apply the distributive property, after the fact, the parenthesis vanishes because there's no need for them anymore. You've distributed into the function so what's the purpose of still having them.

Point is, using the Dis.property yields 2 different answers:

2 if you keep the parenthesis (which you are not supposed to, anyway)

and 

8.666 if you lose the parenthesis.

The fact that you have 2 different answers using the same process is evidence that the process is FLAWED.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)][/color]
Code:

Wow...
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I guess y'all the "baby-steps" type...
laugh.gif

Ok here goes:

48 ÷ 2 (9+3) = 48 ÷2(12)

2 (12) = 2 x 12

therefore

48 ÷2(12) = 48 ÷2 x 12.

Because the multiplication and division sign have the same precedence and/or are of equal rank, you just solve the equation from left to right:

48/2 = 24 x 12 = 288.

This is the correct answer.

Now using the DISTR. property, you get:

48 ÷ 2 (9+3) =

48 ÷ (2x 9) + (2x3) =

48 ÷ 18 + 6

Applying PEMDAS results in: 48/18 = 2.666 + 6 = 8.6666.

OR

48 ÷ 2 (9+3) =

48 ÷ (18+6) =

48/24 = 2

See here we have two different answers when you use the distr.property and that why it's the wrong way to go. You can't just choose to accept the answer you agree with and disregard the one you don't agree with even though you're using the same process.

Y'all problem is the fact that y'all not even using the distributive property correctly. After distributing, the parenthesis vanishes. You don't keep it. It doesn't stay.

How y'all arguing for a property and don't even know the governing dynamics...
alien.gif
alien.gif
30t6p3b.gif

In either case, whatever answer you get is still WRONG as the correct answer is 288.

It's the distributive method that is wrong.

At first I was team 2, but then I decided to "check my work" and do the problem backwards. 288 worked, but 2 did not.

At first I was team 2, but then I decided to "check my work" and do the problem backwards. 288 worked, but 2 did not.

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Nothing was hashed out. Dudes are still getting different answers.

It's just funny that dudes swear they are right when no directions or prompt is given.
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom