9/18 WWE Night of Champions 8pm ET PPV - Punk vs HHH, Del Rio vs Cena, Orton vs Henry | Contest p23

20110909_raw_punkhhh_r.jpg

Happy Birthday DragonFly.

Last night was TNA's No Surrender PPV.  It was literally a show that no one watched.  In fact, the subscription service I use to watch events literally had 3 users watching the show.  There was no interest for No Surrender, and the show delivered accordingly.  The only notes of semi-interest were:

• Winter won the Knocksouts Title from Mickie James
  • Austin Aires won the X-Division Title from Brian Kendrick
  • Bobby Roode won the Bound for Glory Series to earn a title shot at Bound for Glory
  • Kurt Angle retained the title over Sting and Anderson
  • Hogan attacked Sting to set up their match at Bound for Glory
I think that's about it.  The show was the typical overbooked crap.  Sting vs Flair will take place this Thursday night on Impact.  This is their first match together since the final episode of Nitro in March of 2001.

Tonight is the go home show for this Sunday's WWE Night of Champions.  WWE has had five weeks to build this show and it's been an interesting ride.  The original plan of Punk vs Nash had to be thrown out after Nash failed his physical, forcing WWE to rush the Punk vs HHH match.  I still think WWE could have done something to hold off Punk and HHH a bit longer, but they felt they needed to do this match now to sell Night of Champions.  We've seen what happens when you put a major money match on a B-Show PPV (Punk/Cena @ MITB).  The buyrate will increase, but not nearly what it would on one of the Big 4 PPVs.  HHH's first match back should have been saved for Survivor Series, but it just continues WWE trend of rushing through everything involving Punk.  We'll see the hard sell tonight for their match on Sunday.  While both have been good on the mic, I still don't understand the motivation for this match.  If HHH hates CM Punk so much, why did he hire him back?  Why did he pay for his special music?  Why did he give him new merchandise?  And as for Punk, he says he wants change.  But he's never explained what change he actually wants.  He comes out on the mic and says he's a pipe bomb every time he talks.  The problem is, he tells us this but really doesn't do anything.  I really hope they have a big angle tonight because HHH vs Punk should be built as a really special match.

HHH fired Kevin Nash last week, but Nash was seen leaving with John Laurinaitis.  I would suspect Nash won't be on tonight's show, but he will likely be back at Night of Champions.  He has not actually been fired by WWE.

Bret Hart will be on tonight's show.  Alberto Del Rio has been cutting promos against Hart to the local Canadian media.  As long as they don't have Hart beat up Del Rio, I'll be fine with pretty much anything they do.  Pairing Del Rio with Hart is a good way to get heat on Del Rio.

We had a major case of Super Cena last week.  It's things like last week that really make you cringe and give people reasons to hate Cena.

We'll have the final builds for Air Boom (Kofi/Bourne) vs The Awesome Conspiracy (Miz/Truth).

Dolph Ziggler doesn't yet have a match at Night of Champions to defend his Intercontinental Title.  I would suspect he'll face Swagger, but who knows.

We'll see if they do anything else with Lawler and Otunga.  I hope not.

Lastly, this is again a SuperShow (it's almost an afterthought at this point since the only guy who even matters based on the way they book them is Orton).  All the big Smackdown names will be on tonight's show.

It's amazing how WWE killed off the buzz CM Punk generated a few months ago.

The final nail in the coffin will be when he get Pedigreed into bolivion at NOC.

That's really the only logical outcome for the match seeing how Triple H's COO title is on the line.

EDIT:

Happy birthday Dfly.
pimp.gif

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i wonder when there will be a serious heel champion again. ADR has been basically squahed and made to look like a joke compared to supercena every week he's been on the show.
ADR's reign looks to be going the way of Miz's.
if thats the case, we should expect Cena to squash ADR at NOC or Survivor Series, get buried in a feud with Ricardo (who becomes a face midcarder) and then troll the tag team division with HuniCara.
[/font]

I feel like they are gonna have Nash and someone else run in during the HHH/Punk match and it gets thrown out. Neither guy wins or jobs cleanly plus Punk doesn't get buried. It also builds towards a rematch down the road possibly SS or more likely HIAC with how quickly they have been rushing things with Punk...

Honestly i think punk is the one starting to lose his own buzz. At first everything he was saying was refreshing but now hes just saying the same stuff over and over without actually doing anything, and hes coming off as a douche by just insulting everyone weather they are provoking him or not.

Sting vs Flair....in 2011....followed by Sting vs Hogan....in 2011....NOOOOOOOOO.

And Happy birthday Dfly, and here's my present to you,
all the pics of Layla I have on my cpu
Spoiler [+]
MarkHenryRaw2_Funny_GIF_collection-s250x150-142925-580.gif

Screw you Peep Game.
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif

Had me all excited for some Layla pics.
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif

Any chance Nash attacks Punk before the match Sunday and it doesnt even happen? I can see that happening.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Sting vs Flair....in 2011....followed by Sting vs Hogan....in 2011....NOOOOOOOOO.

And Happy birthday Dfly, and here's my present to you,
all the pics of Layla I have on my cpu
Spoiler [+]
MarkHenryRaw2_Funny_GIF_collection-s250x150-142925-580.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by brasilianmami

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i wonder when there will be a serious heel champion again. ADR has been basically squahed and made to look like a joke compared to supercena every week he's been on the show.
ADR's reign looks to be going the way of Miz's.

[/font]
man...what?
laugh.gif
ADR the first two weeks as champ looked more "serious" than miz's entire run. he's a champion who actually wins his matches, has beat cena down and held his own in promos. last week he got AA'd or something i can't remember but you're completely ignoring how he's been booked recently.

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]
man...what?
laugh.gif
ADR the first two weeks as champ looked more "serious" than miz's entire run. he's a champion who actually wins his matches, has beat cena down and held his own in promos. last week he got AA'd or something i can't remember but you're completely ignoring how he's been booked recently.

This. Even took out WWE's 3rd golden boy Mysterio.

Back
Top Bottom