A Serious Discussion About The State of Hip-Hop

There's no denying that there have been some significant changes within the genre. Like seriously, gone are the days of "Hype-Williams-budget" videos or multi-million dollar deals being handed out left and right. I believe the reason is that the state of Hip-Hop is changing. Whether for better or worse is the looming question. But no one is having a serious discussion, anywhere online.

i do miss the big budget videos

but where is the money supposed to come from lol

the internet ****** everything up

the internet ****ed everything up

Exactly. The internet has made the entire music industry change completely in ways that aren't nearly as fun.

I'm not sure what you want us to say

The state of hip hop has always evolved and changed. Pretty much every five years since it started.

That's what I mean, I'd say about even 10 years ago there were fervent discussions about Southern Hip-Hop "taking over". Now the style has transformed, and the particular sound is a thing of the past. However, Mike Jones and Lil Flip were on top of the world. But I highly doubt anyone would pay for a Mike Jones or Lil Flip album the way they would have a decade ago. And that's just one example.

TV shows like Pimp My Ride or Making the Band were a lot more entertaining than today's "reality TV" centered around music. Hip-Hop was a lot more valuable back then. Though it's now more mainstream, the earning potential has declined. That may have a lot to do with sales and format in which music is sold.

Music driven cable channels are changing too. MTV and BET are on their last leg, in terms of being what they were to us who are over 25.
Youtube and Soundcloud undoubtedly changed the music industry, however, there's no denying they both lack the social responsibility of cable television channels to maintain the integrity and demand of the art form.

These aspects have changed the state of Hip-Hop.

Last edited:
I mess with Lil Uzi and Migos, but have they produced anything of this magnitude? Has anyone under the age of 30, in the past 10 years:

F4zwIXW.png
F4zwIXW.png
F4zwIXW.png

6ab06aa3-08f2-457f-91d8-6e2992265193
hLjT08x.png
hLjT08x.png
hLjT08x.png

2yFcYg2.gif

That's what I mean, I'd say about even 10 years ago there were fervent discussions about Southern Hip-Hop "taking over". Now the style has transformed, and the particular sound is a thing of the past. However, Mike Jones and Lil Flip were on top of the world. But I highly doubt anyone would pay for a Mike Jones or Lil Flip album the way they would have a decade ago. And that's just one example.

TV shows like Pimp My Ride or Making the Band were a lot more entertaining than today's "reality TV" centered around music. Hip-Hop was a lot more valuable back then. Though it's now more mainstream, the earning potential has declined. That may have a lot to do with sales and format in which music is sold.

Music driven cable channels are changing too. MTV and BET are on their last leg, in terms of being what they were to us who are over 25.
Youtube and Soundcloud undoubtedly changed the music industry, however, there's no denying they both lack the social responsibility of cable television channels to maintain the integrity and demand of the art form.

These aspects have changed the state of Hip-Hop.

It's because of the extreme amount of accessibility. The internet and general use of social media has brought people and sounds closer together, for better and worse. Media isn't consumed in the same way it was 10+ years ago. That's 1 reason 106 & Park fell off (well, 1 of many). That demographic isn't rushing home to turn on the TV. That TV is in their hands, and they've been watching it all day, or watching it at their convenience.

As far as the music itself, you take the good with the bad. The good is it's very accessible, you can pick out what you want and when you want, and how much you want. The bad is, everyone thinks they can be a rapper since that accessibility let everybody in, watering the genre down, so you have to sort through a ton of crap for the good stuff. Also, as far as mainstream media goes, it's practically a monopoly. You mentioned BET and MTV, but along with VH1, they're all the same brand under Viacom. So sure, you get to pick and choose what you want, but Viacom (and large media outlets/labels in general) will pump out what you think you want to hear and watch, cause if you hear/see **** enough times, you might find it appealing. I'll just leave it there, cause I'd be talking all day if I continued :lol:

I'm not sure what you want us to say

The state of hip hop has always evolved and changed. Pretty much every five years since it started.

pretty much. when this generation of hip hip is over and the next wave comes in, kids today gon look back and say "back in my days we had real hip hop" just like old heads now.

but hip-hop today is pretty trash tbh lol

pretty much. when this generation of hip hip is over and the next wave comes in, kids today gon look back and say "back in my days we had real hip hop" just like old heads now.

but hip-hop today is pretty trash tbh lol

Not pretty much. Actually, it's circular reasoning. For one, you can't predict the future. And secondly, you simply cannot compare anything from this generation to the past or the future because it's garbage. You said so yourself.

Same goes for Magic33 Magic33 's comment, it's just no one bothered to point that out.

Not pretty much. Actually, it's circular reasoning. For one, you can't predict the future. And secondly, you simply cannot compare anything from this generation to the past or the future because it's garbage. You said so yourself.

Same goes for Magic33 Magic33 's comment, it's just no one bothered to point that out.

ummm i can compare anything from this generation to the past... i just did... and the current state of hip hop is trash with the exception of very few.

Freddie Gibbs, 2 Chainz, Future, Jay, Kendrick, Z-Ro, Skyzoo, Trae, Styles P/Berner, Ransom, Ross, Kool G Rap, Royce, Yo Gotti, David Banner, Payroll, Ross, Devin The Dude. That's a mix of both albums and tapes.

Z-Ro, Jay, Kool G Rap, Banner, Devin the dude, Styles P, Trae the Truth, Gotti are all guys who came out pre-2006. we are talking about new guys. Chainz been around since DTP/Ludacris days. Other than Payroll, Ross, and Future, and Kendrick, you didn't mention any new names.

You could've threw a guy like Denzel Curry or Joey Badass in for Petes sake

Z-Ro, Jay, Kool G Rap, Banner, Devin the dude, Styles P, Trae the Truth, Gotti are all guys who came out pre-2006. we are talking about new guys. Chainz been around since DTP/Ludacris days. Other than Payroll, Ross, and Future, and Kendrick, you didn't mention any new names.

You could've threw a guy like Denzel Curry or Joey Badass in for Petes sake

Oh I was just posting recent rap in general, not recent artists :lol:

Freddie Gibbs, 2 Chainz, Future, Jay, Kendrick, Z-Ro, Skyzoo, Trae, Styles P/Berner, Ransom, Ross, Kool G Rap, Royce, Yo Gotti, David Banner, Payroll, Ross, Devin The Dude. That's a mix of both albums and tapes.

I listen to most of them.

The thing is most of those artist have been out ten years at least. That's my issue. So I expect a certain type of music from them.

There's a big division now in the young putting out music and the ones 30.

Kendrick(30), Meek(30), Wale(32), Drake(30), Big Sean(29) are all around or at 30.

Amongst the youth you have who? Joey and Chance? So who are young people learning from and influenced by? A young kid today doesn't even know what The Nation Of Gods And Earths is. X-Clan, Brand Nubian and Public Enemy were teaching me how to be proud. What are they learning now? About percs and lean? to be a zombie?

A young kid isn't listening to Banner. He's the outlier.

The youth have always pushed the envelope further and advanced the culture. The only ones who were "old" when they first dropped were Guru, Jay and Chuck D. Most were coming out 17-21. I always say look at the music De La, Tribe, Nas, Biggie etc. etc were putting out when they first dropped. Someone like Kodak or Lil Yachty were the norms back then age wise. And we don't even expect them to do better. The excuse is they're young.

the internet ****ed everything up

Exactly. I think it's a double edged sword. There is alot more unfiltered garbage that comes out now because everyone has a cell phone and the internet and can make a "viral smash" and get signed.

However, i don't think we would of discovered or come across some of the best artists in the game today without the internet. *shrugs*

Then there's the question of good music, are fans holding today's artist to an irrational high regard based on the rapper's achievements outside music? i.e. Jay-Z, Kanye West, Drake, etc.

4:44 isn't what one would consider a classic.

Internet has changed it for the worse from a fan perspective.But it changed for the better for the artist.K.Gates,Kendrick,GHerbo,F.Gibbs,Ross,Slim Thug,L.E.S,ZRO.Most artist i like range from mid 20,s to late 30,s.

The difference now is that Radio is so much controlled nowadays.That if a certain type of rapper thats not of the same type of style of whats popular today.They wont get there shine based off of just making quality music.Theyll have to collaborate with a current popular artist to get in rotation.

I mean.Put it this way.Outkast didn't have to collaborate with Biggie to get on radio.8Ball & MJG or Scarface didnt have to collaborate with 2pac to get on radio.UGK or Trick Daddy didnt have to collaborate with Dr.Dre to get on radio.

Back then if you where a dope MC with quality music.then Radio would support your music no matter what region you where from.Songs like Cube=Today was a good day,Steady Mobbin got on radio.Nas=If i Ruled the World,Street Dreams original and remix where on radio.

If we where going off yesterday standards.Dave East,Herb,Gibbs would be heavy on Radio right now.The Streets/People controlled the game more.You just had to be good and represent your city or state.Now if the hottest rapper wears colored dreads and moans with autotune over a trap beat.Then youll have a 100 more new rappers biting it.

Individuality is not celebrated anymore also.Its almost expected for a new rapper to get inline and follow the current trend.I miss seeing Rappers from the East Coast wearing dookie ropes or army fatigues with Timbs while riding in jeeps.Or southern Rappers wearing polo with Gold fronts while driving a fixed up old school car with Candy Paint and Rims.

West Coast artist with khakis and Chuck T,s ridin in impalas with hydraulics.The individual aspect of it is long gone.The funny part about it all.Is that some people think it has progressed.How has it progressed if the majority of artist want to dress and sound the same.The artist i named earlier are an exception.But im talking about the majority of Rappers today.

Forgot about Pusha T (Highly underrated in my opinion) Gotti and Dolph also.All of the artist i just named are in my rotation.So i can care less about all the little colorful dread head junkie emo rappers.

Now if the hottest rapper wears colored dreads and moans with autotune over a trap beat.

So i can care less about all the little colorful dread head junkie emo rappers.

Just say you don't like Lil Uzi Vert, LOL.

Herb's mixtapes used to be raw and his opinion could be considered valid, but his take on 4:44 was industry puff and kinda hurts his creditability.

4:44 wasn't a classic, and people tend to overlook Jay-Z is almost 50 years old and just NOW coming to the realizations expressed on that album.

FTR 90% of the **** Jay said on 4:44 he has said in the past all the way back to Reasonable doubt, except then it was masked in street lingo & in between sick flows. I've heard a lot of people highlight how Jay had a lack of flow on this album & i think that was intentional just to make sure everyone received the point in the simplest form possible.

Also while it may have been 17-21 year olds, influencing the youth before that doesn't mean that the Cole's, Kendricks, Drake's Meek etc still don't have a STRONG influence over the youth despite them being around 30.

The biggest artist in Hiphop & the most memorable Projects the past few years have been projects that focused on quality and actually focused around a theme. Once again i just think social media makes it seem as if the majority of rap is drug talk, mindless party music. Honestly there is a giant selection of artist to choose from who may be able to give "game" to the younger generation.

Witht that said i will add that a lot of these places with a strong social media following & the attention of the youth do seem to push heavily for that brandd of rap & that will have to change to open peoples eyes to new artist.

Back
Top Bottom