Accountants on NT... what dat salary lookin like?

It really depends on where you work. If you work at a generic service establishment (restaurant, store, etc.) or some random startup, the pay is not impressive. If you work at a reputable accounting firm, established tech company, or a startup with proper funding and a clear future, the salary can be great

Also depends on what level. In Cali, most junior accountants make 35-50K, but within a few years you can get bumped up to 90-100 if you're good at your job, and then even more if you're a CPA . If you're a controller for a company, you can make 200K+ here in the Bay Area. It's a lot of responsibility and stress though; I'm cool with getting my CPA and staying on as a senior accountant

Last edited:
I'll tell you this much.
Theres ALWAYS work in accounting

Pretty much the only reason I picked this career. Having worked with startups for the past few years, youd be amazed at how many companies run by people with Masters degrees from Ivy Leagues don't even think to do the most basic accounting needed to pass audits for future investments. I had a client in 2018 that hadn't reconciled their accounts since 2014....

i've seen businesses (esp startups) that never reconcile their bank accts or look through statements. there be piles of unopened mail. that alone would take days to sort out and enter :lol:

i've seen businesses (esp startups) that never reconcile their bank accts or look through statements. there be piles of unopened mail. that alone would take days to sort out and enter :lol:

I remember I got brought it to reconcile "some bank statements" the company's balance sheet bank balance was off by $110 million compared to the actual bank balance. One of the few times I wanted to react with physical violence at work

I have no idea how they had been receiving funding all those years

I’m a Senior at a Big 4, and am currently at 100k. I’ll likely make manager this summer, and my salary will be increased to 125-135.

Get your CPA license before anything else. I can’t tell you how many smart people I know that don’t have it and they can’t get high paying jobs in private because they don’t have their license.

I’m a Senior at a Big 4, and am currently at 100k. I’ll likely make manager this summer, and my salary will be increased to 125-135.

Get your CPA license before anything else. I can’t tell you how many smart people I know that don’t have it and they can’t get high paying jobs in private because they don’t have their license.

Thats my thing though. I work as a financial analyst with a BA and some accounting/finance courses at nyu graduate program, which i havent finished.

But i know as much as a liscensed cpa. My cfo who is liscensed is a complete baboon.

My experience has 30 times more value than that test can show.

But you are right. Currently, i cant quite cap at 6 figures becuase i havent taken the test.
Crazy how that works.

Thats my thing though. I work as a financial analyst with a BA and some accounting/finance courses at nyu graduate program, which i havent finished.

But i know as much as a liscensed cpa. My cfo who is liscensed is a complete baboon.

My experience has 30 times more value than that test can show.

But you are right. Currently, i cant quite cap at 6 figures becuase i havent taken the test.
Crazy how that works.
It is crazy how it works. I know people who have been stuck in the same role for years and don’t get promoted because of not having the exam. The reality is that the exam doesn’t measure intelligence or knowledge, it measures how many hours of studying you put into it, nothing else.

Im a corporate controller and have my CPA. I make 205 before bonuses (2 per yr).

And let me tell you I enjoy life now but starting off in audit out of school was no joke. Lost a gf to it and decided I gotta find someone understanding and happened to meet a fellow cpa 6 yrs ago who understands I’m not cheating just working long hrs.

Let me tell you life sucked until getting the controller job it sucked time wise bc I didnt think it was possible to work that many hrs in a week. :lol:

I am glad I did it though. Comfortable enough to enjoy the fruits of my labor

Im a corporate controller and have my CPA. I make 205 before bonuses (2 per yr).

And let me tell you I enjoy life now but starting off in audit out of school was no joke. Lost a gf to it and decided I gotta find someone understanding and happened to meet a fellow cpa 6 yrs ago who understands I’m not cheating just working long hrs.

Let me tell you life sucked until getting the controller job it sucked time wise bc I didnt think it was possible to work that many hrs in a week. :lol:

I am glad I did it though. Comfortable enough to enjoy the fruits of my labor

How many hours did you do before and how many do you do now?

Man controllers is where its at.

Actuaries make bank too. I do someones income taxes amd he works at a contruction company. Pulls 220k off the rip. Not including bonuses.

Hours at these professions are tough though. Cant fathom working more than 50-80 hours a week.

Started at 40k
Near 70k comp plus bonus no CPA.
Been out of school for almost 5 years. I have friends my age in NY making 115k base - one with CPA and one one without so it feels batman. Easy on the mind once you figure out the sched. Quarters and year end will kick your butt, but it's a good life.

That KPMG pension is crazy. Something like 75% of your last five years average salary after about 30 years with the company.

At that point, call it at minimum $200k annually for the rest of your life, retiring around 55, not even considering the few million you should have by then in personal retirement funds.

I work in a midsized firm (top 10). Started at 65k and my YOY raises averaged out at about 11%. I work in tax though focusing on financials institutions.

Hours suck at times and I do travel a bit as our clients are all over the nation. But work has been fun, and more importantly my team is good to work for as a whole. Without that I’d be out prob by now and join a private company. But I think I might be in it for the long haul to try to make partner. Helps when things finally click and unless something comes out of left field you can figure it all out without much thinking.

That KPMG pension is crazy. Something like 75% of your last five years average salary after about 30 years with the company.

At that point, call it at minimum $200k annually for the rest of your life, retiring around 55, not even considering the few million you should have by then in personal retirement funds.

Sort of - it's partially assuming you're retiring a partner so it's kind of like your buyout. I hadn't heard 75% - i thought it was 100%...The overall comp structure is interesting to say the least. Are you w/ KPMG?

Edit - I thought the pension was only good for 15 years too, didn't hear the rest of your life. I mean either way, if you live your life through 30 years in the Big 4 you've earned it.

what's the requirement for taking the cpa?
out of school for awhile now and had ok greats (not great... 3.0). i assume work experience plays a huge part. would i need to take grad courses prior?

what's the requirement for taking the cpa?
out of school for awhile now and had ok greats (not great... 3.0). i assume work experience plays a huge part. would i need to take grad courses prior?

Look into the requirements of your state board. Each one differs to some degree.

Back
Top Bottom