Air Jordan 11 Retro- Black/Red “Playoff”- 12/14/2019

Pretty sure he broke his foot in his rookie season in the 1s.. then wore 1.5s (1s with 2 sole). And then the 2s obviously.

It was the beginning of his second season.
You know, I thought I might have mixed that up after I posted it. Didn't bother going back and looking. Yeah, it was the 1 he broke it in his second season. I swear that in one of the few seminal books on MJ, it misreported that he had done it in the 2 and that was why he hated it. But I've read so much about the dude in the last 30 years that sometimes it all runs together. Anyway, my bad. People who know me would be like, dude, YOU got something wrong about MJ and his shoes? :rofl:

The reason the 2’s had the phylon midsole was a direct result of the broken foot in fact...The reason being that Nike was playing around with different materials and builds to give him the best setup as a result...

That’s why you have samples of the 1’s out there with Dunk midsole / outsole’s, or with the phylon midsole that eventually ended up on the 2’s...

These were made for him as well but he never wore them in game as far as I recall...

26A446CD-1F35-435B-BB16-1C03A468B5FE.jpeg

If I remember correctly the Jordan 1 came before the Dunk but the Air Ship was already around which is really similar anyway. But I understand what you're saying. No one would ever put a 1 above an XI for years until recently; its a whole diff ball game now besides die hard 1 fans.
Whatever it was, basically all basketball shoes at the time looked the same. Leather high tops with solid rubber outsoles. When I started finally playing organized basketball in 8th grade in the fall of '89, my dad bought me some Avia Spyders for probably like $50. The gimmick on them was that the outsole was convex. In other words, it was higher around the perimeter of the sole than the middle. The idea was that it cushioned you on impact because the rubber around the perimeter would spread out with each foot strike instead of being a flat sole. It didn't work. Those things KILLED my feet. The reality was that they put all the load on the perimeter of my feet while the soles of my feet had no support. We've come a long way.

The reason the 2’s had the phylon midsole was a direct result of the broken foot in fact...The reason being that Nike was playing around with different materials and builds to give him the best setup as a result...

That’s why you have samples of the 1’s out there with Dunk midsole / outsole’s, or with the phylon midsole that eventually ended up on the 2’s...

These were made for him as well but he never wore them in game as far as I recall...

I believe you mean polyurethane, not phylon.

I believe the dunk came before the Jordan 1. All it was, was a dunk modified with the Jordan wings logo.

The ship came first.

I used to think the Dunk came first until I read somewhere that they came out later like a year later (I swear by this because it changed everything I believed) but I forget every now and then when it actually was. I just did a quick search to jog my memory and they dropped the same year with the Dunk coming after and taking design cues from the Jordan 1. Ships came first though (even though I didnt do a search to confirm our belief).

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

I thiink MJ did wore something similar to this against the Celtics in the '86 playoffs but I might be wrong.

rainking rainking OMG.. Yikes at that design attempt :lol: I'm laughing but man that had to be crappy back then. And 14 in 89?? You had to have seen some cool **** in the 80's. You were a little younger for my next thought but I always figured anyone who was a teen/college aged in the 80's had have had a blast.

I basically grew up in the 90s being born in 85 and love my childhood but I have a little obsession with the 80's.

I thiink MJ did wore something similar to this against the Celtics in the '86 playoffs but I might be wrong.
I think you’re correct pretty sure there’s a picture of him in those strapped 1s against the Celtics. Not sure how many games he actually wore them though but at least once.

Hey if the Infrared 6's and the Bred 4's and Banned 1's can be made OG then the Bred 11's can be made OG too. With True red and a screen print 23 and a white and black carbon fiber plate.

Last edited:
Gentry Humphrey please make these completely OG. Please! They need to have the OG treatment.

Please give these the OG treatment.

Last edited:
I disagree.

I think the red tint is just as important as the others you mentioned.

The pitch black uppers we’ve been getting have been boring. We need that red tint.
But only some of the OGs has it so it’s not important to some since we saw black only. Wasn’t it just the materials one factory used over the other?

But only some of the OGs has it so it’s not important to some since we saw black only. Wasn’t it just the materials one factory used over the other?

I don’t want red tint because I think they will over do it. I never seen it on a OG and honestly don’t believe it’s there. I had 2 pairs, neither of mine had it.

I don’t want red tint because I think they will over do it. I never seen it on a OG and honestly don’t believe it’s there. I had 2 pairs, neither of mine had it.

I hear ya but it was definitely there on Taiwan pairs. Whether you want to believe it or not lol.

Back
Top Bottom