Air Jordan 11 Retro "Concord" - December 8, 2018 release - $220 #45

Full wash/soak with Rit whitener/brightener Oxy clean white HD Vinegar and Baking Soda if theyve been worn followed by a rebluing soak with Mrs Stewarts bluing dye. Actually have another DS pair soon to be worked on.
One of the products in the vid I posted is actually the whitener brightener. I think it's the Rit brand too. I actually have a pair of 2012 White Cement 4's that are going to need this treatment. Can't wait to give it a shot.

I don’t know about all of that Rit ****. Tried it on my 2016 white/cements (worn less than 30 times, just yellowed naturally), scrubbed the hell out of them with it. Didn’t make one difference.
That’s actually good info for those looking to whiten yellowing areas. I’m actually looking to do a pair of white cements so I may look at other products now that you say this.

this method will work if its the fabric under the mesh, it won't touch the plastic mesh when it comes to whitening. the only method I've seen a lot of restorers do is just paint the mesh. but if you use angelus though its thick paint that will clog the pores of the fabric under the mesh filling the holes in it that changes the way it looks. I've used other airbrush paints like createx that will work well, you can dilute it with water and use very thin coats that won't clog the pores in the fabric but you need to use adhesion promoter for the plastic mesh for it to really last. salon 40 or 50 might work but I have not tried that yet.

That’s actually good info for those looking to whiten yellowing areas. I’m actually looking to do a pair of white cements so I may look at other products now that you say this.
this method will work if its the fabric under the mesh, it won't touch the plastic mesh when it comes to whitening. the only method I've seen a lot of restorers do is just paint the mesh. but if you use angelus though its thick paint that will clog the pores of the fabric under the mesh filling the holes in it that changes the way it looks. I've used other airbrush paints like createx that will work well, you can dilute it with water and use very thin coats that won't clog the pores in the fabric but you need to use adhesion promoter for the plastic mesh for it to really last. salon 40 or 50 might work but I have not tried that yet.
^^^^ Rit is indeed useless, then, as I found. Who cares about getting the fabric behind the mesh white when the plastic mesh itself is what yellows more than anything? That's like having on spotless underwear beneath mud-covered clothes: it's better than nothing, but doesn't really address the front-line problem :lol:
The fabric on my lightly worn pair is still white, indeed it is the mesh I want to whiten. Not going through all the effort of painting it. I've long since accepted the yellowed-mesh look as just being a quirk of the white/cements. Gives it that vintage patina--even though the OGs never yellowed like this, even after 30 years LOL. I will say, it certainly gives me pause when I think about buying the fire red IVs later this year. If they still use this crap insta-yellowing mesh on those, they'll look even worse than the white/cements when they change color.

That's interesting b/c in the vid his mesh is definitely yellow and he turns in white. My OGs in '89 definitely yellowed! And the midsole yellowed too; back then it wasn't painted, it was either the material's natural color, or dyed.

The fact that we see DS OGs now that have barely yellows is probably b/c they've been stored well and never worn. I just wear mine and enjoy. They're gonna yellow.

I just painted my mesh when it yellowed. Came out great.

Before

20180811_162123.jpg

After

20180811_165230.jpg

Ill say again. Wash SOAK. People have to keep in mind shoes are just fabric, we wash/soak clothes to keep them up or renew.
Did a write up dropped in the BRED thread which is roughly my full process currently ran. Feel free to copy and paste to maintenance thread:

I can work on getting some photos or video of the process if theres enough demand for such.

Ill say again. Wash SOAK. People have to keep in mind shoes are just fabric, we wash/soak clothes to keep them up or renew.
Did a write up dropped in the BRED thread which is roughly my full process currently ran. Feel free to copy and paste to maintenance thread:

I can work on getting some photos or video of the process if theres enough demand for such.
The post you made on the Bred forum was mad in depth I took a screenshot for when my Concords get all beat up appreciate it, if you feel like it post a video up on YouTube for the lazy

You're the MVP here. Thank you very much.

The post you made on the Bred forum was mad in depth I took a screenshot for when my Concords get all beat up appreciate it, if you feel like it post a video up on YouTube for the lazy
Really considering it since ive yet to see something hitting the essential points and have one pair that needs retooling. Ill get a couple more pre/post shots posted with the pair thats already finished. Just recently finished a pair of 2013 Grant Hills that were yellowed as well that came out beautiful. Thing learned the hard way over the years is that shoes need conditioning just like any article of clothing. It helps to strengthen the fibers rubber leather etc to keep them looking great especially because i wear all of mine.

Back
Top Bottom