Air Jordan XX8 aka 2013, new "Proplate Zoom" Technology OFFICIAL THREAD.

So, we can expect that Nike is going to continue to insult everyone by charging absurd amounts for plastic shoes, correct?

Again, I will say this, if these were a high quality leather hoops shoe, one that was versatile enough to wear off court, I could get with the pricing. 

But for plastic?

Nike can kiss my ***.

Last edited:
So, we can expect that Nike is going to continue to insult everyone by charging absurd amounts for plastic shoes, correct?

Again, I will say this, if these were a high quality leather hoops shoe, one that was versatile enough to wear off court, I could get with the pricing. 

But for plastic?

Nike can kiss my ***.
exactly

But for plastic?

Nike can kiss my ***.

No, you really couldnt.

I still dont understand why you enter Nike/JB threads when you have no affinity for either brand.

I struggle to understand it too. I think Longstroke is somehow compensated for every time he uses the word 'plastic.' Tiring, that.
So you are tired of someone calling Nike's shoes plastic, in which they are, but you are not tired of Nike selling you expensive plastic.

Seems that your priorities are misplaced.

At this event, Tinker Hatfield said that the Air Jordan line would remain leather, and that Nike shoes would be plastic. It's at the 14:26 mark.

Now with what's gone on with the last few shoes, Tinker obviously didn't know where this thing was heading.

Last edited:
Hey Longstroke , no need to waste time on all these hypocrits, we all know this forum is flooded of them..ppl say theyve been buyin jordans since the 80's bla bla , and yet theyre the first ones to justify this embarrasing crap.

So you are tired of someone calling Nike's shoes plastic, in which they are, but you are not tired of Nike selling you expensive plastic.

Seems that your priorities are misplaced.

No, I'm tired of reiterating the same tired argument. Why are you here? If you hate something so badly, why constantly pop up saying such? My priorities are misplaced? I've already made fun of this shoe plenty of times. So there is no misplacing of priorities. The way I show my displeasure is by not buying. I don't need to insult others that do buy. I don't care about what others buy. Again, why do consistently post in the Nike and JB forums if you have such ire for both Nike and JB's current output? We get it, you aren't happy with the current product and think less of those who do buy. Why do you keep saying it? Why not just make your signature read "this post was brought to you by someone who not only abhors Nike and JB's current product, but also looks down on you for not feeling exactly like I do" in lieu of lambasting us with your negative drivel?

Hey Longstroke , no need to waste time on all these hypocrits, we all know this forum is flooded of them..ppl say theyve been buyin jordans since the 80's bla bla , and yet theyre the first ones to justify this embarrasing crap.
That's why I love the vid's of the events. Tinker Hatfield is like this...

with little to no added performance and durability aspects (like Foamposite, etc.)

Wha...Foams are dang near indestructible, and back when they made foams in my size...they were definitely performance beasts. Once you dealt with the pain, broke them in, and they comformed to your feet....They were awesome on the court.

I haven't bought any foams since they stopped making them in 16 but from what I know they definitely added performance and durability to kicks.

Last edited:
It's not a question of defending it or not. Nike is free to charge whatever they want and people are free to buy or not buy. It's obvious that Nike is raising their prices across the board right now. Charging $180 for the Air Jordan one year and then charging $250 the next year is a huge jump. So, it's to be expected that many are surprised or unhappy that the Air Jordan is going up in price 40%.
I'm 29 years old. I'll be 30 at the end of next month. I've been wearing Nike exclusively since the late 80s and was fortunate enough to have Nike as a sponsor when I was a promising tennis prospect many years ago. Whether I was paying full price or getting the stuff for free, I've always been fiercely loyal to Nike. Through every price increase. Bought the Foam one on release day in 97. Bought the Foam max on release day in 98. Bought the Flightposite on release day in 99. Bought every Jordan on release day pretty much since the X. I've seen the price spikes and I've seen prices come back down. Never seen a $70 jump before and I'm curious to see how it works out, especially with most Air Jordans ending up on clearance racks over the years.
If you want to compare basketball sneakers to soccer cleats or high end running shoes, be my guest. Seems silly to compare apples to oranges when comparing oranges to oranges is easier and more logical.
The year you reference that Jordan tried the $200 price point . . . it was a flop. Complete flop. Public totally rejected it. So if you're pointing to a $200 price point ten years ago as some sort of proof that $250 can work now, I couldn't disagree more.
I will pay the $250 for the first XX8 that drops in white. I don't think many others will. I understand why Nike is trying to push the price points, but I think they are pushing them a little too far. I don't think it will work out as they hope. Guess we'll see. When people didn't bite at $180, not sure that's the right time to try $250.
Hell, the deluxe $223 version of this year's Jordan is still sitting on clearance racks by me for $109. Including the year of the dragon.

In regards to your apples to oranges statement, I'm just talking about shoes and prices and how other brands and types of shoes were priced high. It's as simple as that. On another note I lived in DC when the 17's dropped they sold out there (at the $200) and along the east coast, not a complete flop. As well regardless of the time Jordans always pushed the price point even back in the 80's. My point is not about whether it will work or not, again, I simply said I am not surprised. Look at the world around us, everything is costing a lot.

In regards to your apples to oranges statement, I'm just talking about shoes and prices and how other brands and types of shoes were priced high. It's as simple as that. On another note I lived in DC when the 17's dropped they sold out there (at the $200) and along the east coast, not a complete flop. As well regardless of the time Jordans always pushed the price point even back in the 80's. My point is not about whether it will work or not, again, I simply said I am not surprised. Look at the world around us, everything is costing a lot.

There's never been this type of jump before though from one Air Jordan to the next. Yes, Air Jordans have always been expensive, but they have not always been the most expensive Nike basketball sneaker and they've never increased in price 40% in one year. When Nike first hit the $150 mark for basketball, the Air Jordan was still $125. When Nike hit the $180 mark for basketball, the Air Jordan was $135.

The XVII may not have flopped in your area, but it flopped in a lot of places, flopped on Eastbay, etc. and prices fell fast. Price then went down $25 when the XVIII came out and then went down another $10 for the XIX.

Nike has successfully pushed prices when they've done so gradually. The giant leaps in price usually backfire and Nike ends up backtracking for the next few years.

My primary basketball shoe most years is whatever is the latest basketball model with 360 air max. Last year's model was the Air Max Hyperdunk, priced at $160. This year's model is the Air Max Hyperposite, priced at $225. 40% increase. When you jump so much, so quickly, people notice and people get upset, which you're seeing here in this thread with the Air Jordan increasing in price by 40% this season.

So if your position is that people shouldn't be shocked by the price because ten years ago the Air Jordan cost $200, I find your position to be flawed because last year it was $180 and a $70 jump is going to surprise people.

There's never been this type of jump before though from one Air Jordan to the next. Yes, Air Jordans have always been expensive, but they have not always been the most expensive Nike basketball sneaker and they've never increased in price 40% in one year. When Nike first hit the $150 mark for basketball, the Air Jordan was still $125. When Nike hit the $180 mark for basketball, the Air Jordan was $135.
The XVII may not have flopped in your area, but it flopped in a lot of places, flopped on Eastbay, etc. and prices fell fast. Price then went down $25 when the XVIII came out and then went down another $10 for the XIX.
Nike has successfully pushed prices when they've done so gradually. The giant leaps in price usually backfire and Nike ends up backtracking for the next few years.
My primary basketball shoe most years is whatever is the latest basketball model with 360 air max. Last year's model was the Air Max Hyperdunk, priced at $160. This year's model is the Air Max Hyperposite, priced at $225. 40% increase. When you jump so much, so quickly, people notice and people get upset, which you're seeing here in this thread with the Air Jordan increasing in price by 40% this season.
So if your position is that people shouldn't be shocked by the price because ten years ago the Air Jordan cost $200, I find your position to be flawed because last year it was $180 and a $70 jump is going to surprise people.

I hear what ya saying homie, like I said not trying to start a debate, however with how trends are going in the world and the things I see really unfolding, the people who really run and control everything along with who is really pulling the strings, this is the main reason I am NOT surpised. Seriously it has got to the point of having to go to the damn mall or store 2 to 3 times just for one pair of shoes, with the cost of gas, not only does the shoe companys win, but so does the gas industry, not to get too deep but it is all connected. To be honest as much as I enjoy ALL my kicks to wear, I see myself stepping away from this. The lack of ethics behind all of this is beyond ridiculous. Seriously we ALL need to open our eyes to whats really going on behind the scenes. Not sure how true it is, but I am hearing lately that employees at these shoes stores will not be aloud to get discounts on J's anymore, if this is true how much more d%ck are people having to do for a pair of kicks.

Last edited:
Who are you suggesting really "runs and controls everything?"

I'm not surprised there was a substantial increase, but I was surprised by $250. Although we still don't know if that's the price point for all of the models are just the black/volt. We've seen in recent years that the first colorway to launch is sometimes at a higher price, quickly followed by a traditional Bulls style release at a lower price point.

A lot of employees abuse their discounts and I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan decides they want their releases excluded.

I'm in favor of getting deep. Please explain how Nike is in bed with the oil companies. Thanks.

I hear what ya saying homie, like I said not trying to start a debate, however with how trends are going in the world and the things I see really unfolding, the people who really run and control everything along with who is really pulling the strings, this is the main reason I am NOT surpised. Seriously it has got to the point of having to go to the damn mall or store 2 to 3 times just for one pair of shoes, with the cost of gas, not only does the shoe companys win, but so does the gas industry, not to get too deep but it is all connected. To be honest as much as I enjoy ALL my kicks to wear, I see myself stepping away from this. The lack of ethics behind all of this is beyond ridiculous. Seriously we ALL need to open our eyes to whats really going on behind the scenes. Not sure how true it is, but I am hearing lately that employees at these shoes stores will not be aloud to get discounts on J's anymore, if this is true how much more d%ck are people having to do for a pair of kicks.
I honestly think your right. It seems kinda interesting that during our current recession that the newest Jordan gets a $70 price hike. Why would a company increase the price of a shoe if they know most people are short on money these days? The answer is that the more money you give them ( jordan Brand, Nike, etc.) the less money we have. Further more, the more money a company has, the greater an influence they have, which leads to more power. This is the perfect example of a corporation using a marketing tactic to gain power and influence while making sure us, the people/middle class cannot grow or expand. Look around. You'll see that I'm right. Many, many companies are doing this. Best thing we can do is not buy this stuff. Our lives wont be anymore enriched or happy with these or any other shoes or product for that matter.

Who are you suggesting really "runs and controls everything?"
I'm not surprised there was a substantial increase, but I was surprised by $250. Although we still don't know if that's the price point for all of the models are just the black/volt. We've seen in recent years that the first colorway to launch is sometimes at a higher price, quickly followed by a traditional Bulls style release at a lower price point.
A lot of employees abuse their discounts and I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan decides they want their releases excluded.
I'm in favor of getting deep. Please explain how Nike is in bed with the oil companies. Thanks.
I just made a post to answer your question about how Nike and oil companies are sharing the same bed. Interestingly enough it went to the moderator stating that since I was new, my reply had to be reviewed. I made a post a page or two back that didn't need to be reviewed by the moderator. Coincidence? Hell no!

You know you have a bad design when people are more interested in conspiracy theories about the company's financial portfolio and possible investors, rather than the newest design that will reign the next calendar year! LOL

In an environment of haves and have nots, you have to try to extract more from those that have to compensate for lost sales from those that no longer have.

Companies wanting as much money as possible is nothing new, recession or not. I think Nike saw how many people were willing to buy shoes from resellers for $250-300 and decided they wanted in on the action.

But the idea that this is tied to some oil company conspiracy is complete lunacy.

Nike sells shoes. They sell shoes to make money. The end. No conspiracy.

I honestly think your right. It seems kinda interesting that during our current recession that the newest Jordan gets a $70 price hike. Why would a company increase the price of a shoe if they know most people are short on money these days? The answer is that the more money you give them ( jordan Brand, Nike, etc.) the less money we have. Further more, the more money a company has, the greater an influence they have, which leads to more power. This is the perfect example of a corporation using a marketing tactic to gain power and influence while making sure us, the people/middle class cannot grow or expand. Look around. You'll see that I'm right. Many, many companies are doing this. Best thing we can do is not buy this stuff. Our lives wont be anymore enriched or happy with these or any other shoes or product for that matter.

Even if we were to entertain this thought, there's just one glaring hole in your theory. No one is putting a gun to the collective heads of the middle class and FORCING them to buy sneakers of any sort, or any other non-necessities for that matter. It is not the fault of the companies that Americans are obsessed with consumer goods, and are willing to be in debt the rest of their lives in order to obtain what they want (and not necessarily need). It is the public that needs to take responsibility for their own addictions to material possessions.

That being said, I think this will quickly backfire on them. No new signature AJ has been popular enough to demand a premium price in years. Even the 2011s, arguable the most well received pair in years, could be found on clearance for $65 - $100 at the outlets. Granted price increases are nothing new, it seems odd to me that they would do it at a time when the company is already struggling to convince anyone to buy their previous models even at outlet pricing, let alone the much lower than $250 full MSRPs of the previous models.

Even if we were to entertain this thought, there's just one glaring hole in your theory. No one is putting a gun to the collective heads of the middle class and FORCING them to buy sneakers of any sort, or any other non-necessities for that matter. It is not the fault of the companies that Americans are obsessed with consumer goods, and are willing to be in debt the rest of their lives in order to obtain what they want (and not necessarily need). It is the public that needs to take responsibility for their own addictions to material possessions.
That being said, I think this will quickly backfire on them. No new signature AJ has been popular enough to demand a premium price in years. Even the 2011s, arguable the most well received pair in years, could be found on clearance for $65 - $100 at the outlets. Granted price increases are nothing new, it seems odd to me that they would do it at a time when the company is already struggling to convince anyone to buy their previous models even at outlet pricing, let alone the much lower than $250 full MSRPs of the previous models.
i said it once i'll say it again. i think theyre pricing super high so when they drop down to $200 or below people think theyre getting a deal. the 2012 systems retailed for $223 i picked up a pair for $80 9 months later. no matter what it didnt cost $250 to make the xx8 im sure they could have retailed for $150 with no problem.

Back
Top Bottom