Album(s) of the Year Vol. 2018

My top 5 albums of the year (no particular order)
Some links to youtube, might not work for you guys in the US, but if they do and u wanna check out some UK stuff...

TY -A Work of Heart

“You won’t ever hear an empty song from me” is one of the bars from TY’s fifth album, and it couldn’t be truer. If you want songs about guns, drugs, big booty *****es and owning 5 Bentleys then this ain’t the album for you… however if you want socially conscious, relatable, and (TY’s trademark) fun and uplifting lyrics over masterfully produced beats then look no further than this work of art from one of the UK’s best (and largely underrated) rappers of the '00s.
Even better is that there’s even an accompanying “instrumental only” version to complement the main cut, well worth a listen to as well!
TY - Brixton Baby (AFROPUNK EXCLUSIVE PREMIERE)

Kamasi Washington -Heaven & Earth
Pretty much the most innovative jazz artist around today. Kamasi is back with this concept album (the “Heaven” side and the “Earth” side) His true skill shines through as he implements some crazy *** combos, classic jazz fused with quirky anomalies such as the theme from “Fist of Fury”, Carole King’s “Will You Love Me Tomorrow”, and an astounding reworking of The Five Stairstep’s “Ooh Child” (one of my favourite songs of all time) Obviously this is a jazz album and it’s a long listen, especially when added with bonus EP “The Choice” -most of the 21 tracks come in at roughly 8-9 mins long or more, but stick with it and you will be rewarded with an incredible sonic experience that gets better with each listen.
Jazz king Kamasi Washington performs Fists of Fury on Later... with Jools

Seedy Jeezus -Polaris Oblique
Hard and heavy 70’s stoner rock for 2018. These guys “go” for the retro sound, but they’re so on point it’s scary… I’m suspicious they don’t have a time machine! They play like a melting pot of all of your favourite 70’s hard/psychedelic/prog rock bands. Big heavy Iommi-esque riffs -ethereal, ambient Gilmour style chords and fast paced gallops that Mr. Harris himself would be proud of.
Rock on… man.
3 Million Light Years

JP Bimeni & The Black Belts -Free Me
Ya know, if you don’t bombard these immigrants with tear gas, racism and xenophobia, these “foreigner types” can actually surprise you by… oh, I don’t know, actually contributing wonderfully towards society and culture and maybe, just maybe making one of the best British soul albums in years! Well that’s exactly what “immigrant” JP has done here, backed up by the amazing Black Belts, this album is a reflection of this remarkable young man’s life story, heartbreaking in places, life affirming in others. His vocals are incredible, I’ve heard some compare him to a young Otis Reading, and it’s definitely there, but I hear more Al Green myself -either way, if you like that classic 60’s soul sound, be sure to check this one out.
Pain Is the Name of Your Game

The Nextmen vs Gentleman’s Dub Club -Pound for Pound
One of the UK’s finest hip-hop producing duos (The Nextmen) team up with of one of the UK’s finest Dub crews (Gentleman’s Dub Club) to bring one the finest rap & reggae influenced Brit albums in recent memory. Lashings of bass heavy dub, ska, soul and funk throughout compliment vocals by the likes of Gardna, Chali 2na (Jurassic 5 legend) Eva Lazarus, Hollie Cook, & Parly B among others.
An album that deserves to be heard on a fully fledged sound system… the type of speakers that leave cracks in your plasterboard!
Spooky ft. Hollie Cook (Official audio)

Honourable mentions:

Yazmin Lacey -When the Sun Dips 90 Degrees EP
Beautiful, smoky soul vocals from one of the UK’s most talented up and comers on the neo-jazz scene. Singing over insanely smooth beats, you’ll find yourself daydreaming of lazy, hazy heatwaves and former summertime lovers.
Another 3-4 songs for a fully fledged album and this would definitely have been in my top 5.
WeTransfer x Gilles Peterson: Yazmin Lacey – 90 Degrees

AJ Ghent -The Neo Blues Project
Debut album from one of the most promising contemporary youngsters in blues. It basically does exactly what it says on the tin… incorporating fresh soul, funk and rock into traditional 12 bars to create a familiar yet undoubtedly new (neo) blues sound. AJ’s wickedly evil fuzz guitar evokes obvious comparisons with elder statesmen like Gary Clark Jr. -but this kid clearly has a unique style of his own, definitely got a bright future ahead of him.
AJ Ghent [ j-ent ] - Power

220px-MyDearMelancholy_-_album_by_The_Weeknd.jpg

red.jpg

It took her 20 years... but Lauryn Hill followed up a classic with another classic

pusha t album was trash
nobody seriously still playing that
except drake haters
and they only playing 2 songs

best rap album gotta go to nipsey

AOTY

Westside Gunn - Supreme Blientele

044B5A1A-2A35-4222-8D2E-0EDF865E72EE.jpeg

# 2 - Westside Gunn - Hitler Wears Hermès 6

B4A1953C-3D29-4C7E-9066-8B93FC25B41F.jpeg

# 3 - Benny The Butcher - Tana Talk 3

241C0815-64F9-454E-B8D4-4D8E05468FBA.jpeg

# 4 - Conway - Everybody is F.O.O.D

08158E05-099C-4CAF-8B17-83A1562D1650.jpeg

# 5 & 6 - Black Thought - Stream of Thought
Vol. 1 & 2

1C5C847F-77B2-4C6B-A02F-71750B7C8DB8.jpeg

AEA1250A-FD09-4CB3-9325-F14D541FEDA8.jpeg

# 7 - J. Cole - KOD

10494065-3FAD-4BCC-8CFD-87F82F02B298.jpeg

# 8 - Mac Miller - Swimming

29C89D1B-B4D1-4D5E-A4A2-B6257236531C.jpeg

#9 - Conway - The Blakk Tape

7572B40D-7A74-4AA9-B941-2DB8DAFE0BB5.jpeg

# 10 - Chuck Strangers - Consumers Park

AD3C8DB2-E3EE-432F-8EB4-319C711061FB.jpeg
Same.

My project of the year (shouts out to NT for the find) Saint Jhn Collection 1

saintjhncollection1.JPG

It was an album that i came back to A LOT. And its nice to find a new artist and really be into them.

Honorable Mentions
Lupe Fiasco - Drogoas Wave
The 1975 - A brief inquiry into online relationships
Robyn - Honey
21 pilots - trench

I've been a Pusha stan for like ten years now. I've barely played Daytona, I hated the production for the most part. I liked 2-3 songs.

I liked My Name Is My Name way more than this one.

Looking at list in here and reading list compiled from some blogs, it’s quite evident these people have no idea who Griselda is.

Album Of The Year:

Ozuna - Aura
Ozuna Aura.jpg

Honorable Mentions:

J Balvin - Vibras
J Balvin Vibras.jpg

Miky Woodz - El OG
MW.jpg

Looking at list in here and reading list compiled from some blogs, it’s quite evident these people have no idea who Griselda is.

I do agree that they deserved some mention but I think its a sub genre of even rap. Benny the Butchers album imo wasn't even as good as Rock Marciano's behold a dark horse. And from a NY rap genre...Hermit and the Recluse's Orpheus vs the Siren was the best release of the year. KA straight up killed that album. Westside Gunn's album was solid though but i am 31 years old so i feel like (given the sound) the references were dated to the younger generations.

Favorite:
38 Spesh and G Rap - Son of G Rap

Royce - Book of Ryan
Meek - Champions
Push - Daytona
Jay Rock - Redemption
Dave & Styles - Beloved
Black Thought - Streams Of Thought 2

Last edited:
I do agree that they deserved some mention but I think its a sub genre of even rap. Benny the Butchers album imo wasn't even as good as Rock Marciano's behold a dark horse. And from a NY rap genre...Hermit and the Recluse's Orpheus vs the Siren was the best release of the year. KA straight up killed that album. Westside Gunn's album was solid though but i am 31 years old so i feel like (given the sound) the references were dated to the younger generations.

Hermit & Recluse dropped an album that was Ancient Greece themed, yet WSG’s album had dated references for the younger generation? Explain that to me please. While Orpheus vs the Siren is a good album; I wouldn’t put it above Supreme Blientele, HWH6, or even Tana Talk 3. Those are the top albums to come out of NY imo.

Drip Season 3- Gunna
Black Panther Soundtrack
Astroworld- Travis Scott
Signed to the Streets 3- Lil Durk
Scorpion- Drake (Side A only)

After playing this front to back over and over again over and over...

Yeah, its not only the album of the year to me, its the illest project front to back that westside gunn has made IMO.

Attachments

• 1540964035_10d7a6560a6b4960daaf8da4b1cb213f.jpg
    1540964035_10d7a6560a6b4960daaf8da4b1cb213f.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom