am i liable vol. sold car on craigslist

I put up my car this morning to be sold on craigslist.
guy calls me, is ready to cash out $900.

we go to western union to check his money. money is good.

i hand over keys/registration/smog and was planning to handle pink slip on monday.

he agrees...leaves, about an hour ago. 

calls me back, saying the car is smoking, overheating.

I have had no issues with this car regarding overheating/smoking for the past 5 years i've driven it.

does he have grounds to sue me because he is not getting any cash back from me. 

craigslist can not be used in court unless you two had a written agreement. i bought a lemon of craigslist in 2010 was nothing i could do because a private sell doesnt and by law cant carry a warranty. lawyer told me i was SOL. so you good homie

Come up
pimp.gif
selling car just in time for the Win.

Even though your listing didn't have the words "as-is", it is implied.
Basically you're straight.

But, just to be on the safe side, I would check your state/local laws on implied liabilities/contract etc.

Originally Posted by blazinRook

I have had no issues with this car regarding overheating/smoking for the past 5 years i've driven it.
Yet all of a sudden the car has gone bad 
eyes.gif

i wouldnt stress it me personally. if you know you didnt sell him a lemon dont worry. the govt knows that craigslist is a scammers playground

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Originally Posted by blazinRook

Yet all of a sudden the car has gone bad 
eyes.gif
that's what i'm saying...he has my DL info, and knows where I live...
I have his DL info, but he's from Florida so I don't know where he lives. 

Another issue, was that we were supposed to meet on Monday in order to hand over the Pink Slip. 

I have to go to DMV, and sign over the car..what if he is unwilling to sign? what's the worse that could happen to me?

if he doesn't sign over on the title, he could rack up tickets in your name. You need some proof bro

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

if he doesn't sign over on the title, he could rack up tickets in your name. You need some proof bro

so he can be gutting the car right now for parts, not sign over the paper work, and rack up tickets....
say he gets in an accident, does that effect me in any way? 

you could be called for court if he does anything...you just need to have some form of proof...try depositing the money and notating the deposit. At least then when you claim to have received x amount of dollars they will see the sameamount deposited to your account.

One car off mine was towed before and I told the finance company they could pick it up there. It was later auctioned and sold. About a year later I got a notice that the car had been searched and drugs were found. I had to fax proff of the tow and release to get out of going to court for what the new owner did.

did he sign any sort of paperwork? Release of liability, receipt or anything.

Most of the time, it is implied that used cars are sold "as-is" but it ends up varying by state.

You should have done some sort of paperwork that said that you were selling as-is, where-is. I don't think he can sue you.

Last couple of cars I sold I made the buyer sign a paper stating sold as is.

your good op, he can turn around and sue you on the ground no contract is made. plus the sale of goods over $500 has to be in a written contract not verbal, check your state last homie...might be some loopholes though

who the !$!* pays $900 for a car and calls the previous owner to complain about it breaking down?
laugh.gif

go to your state dps website and do a transfer of title online so you can be free liabilities if he runs tolls or commits a crime

$900 and complaining?  you get what you pay for

Back
Top Bottom