American Gangster...

You love you some Vol. 1 my dude....

Lyrically theres no question that Vol. 1 is better. This joint is a more cohesive and well produced album IMO though.

Originally Posted by MidEastBeast

HELL NO!

Dudes throwing out the word "classic" like it means nothing.

Jay has one classic and one classic only, RD.

American Gangster along with the vast, vast majority of Jay's career = waste of hard drive space.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

and the funniest part is, RD is Jay's 2nd best album after Vol. 2

waste of hard drive for most of jay's career? you have to be kidding me
Originally Posted by novaflight

RD
BP
AG
..are all classics
i don't really see how AG is a top 5 hov album...at least not yet for me

vol. 2
RD
vol. 1
bp
TBA

all of these are better albums to me and i think AG is a great album

that should tell you something about his work...and the amount you can keep on your hard drive

Originally Posted by yungmatt

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

i just dont hear jay the same way anymore

agree but @ the same time he's using his intelligence. dumb down the lyrics for the new crowd. i was reading a post earlier & it discussed how New YorkN's have excellent lyrics but horrible beats & hooks. Instead of focussing 100% on lyrics Jay has managed to find that happy medium, inwhich hasallowed him to last this long.......Just my thoughts

Originally Posted by Lbruce89

HELL NO!

Dudes throwing out the word "classic" like it means nothing.

Jay has one classic and one classic only, RD.

American Gangster along with the vast, vast majority of Jay's career = waste of hard drive space.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

and the funniest part is, RD is Jay's 2nd best album after Vol. 2

waste of hard drive for most of jay's career? you have to be kidding me
Originally Posted by novaflight

RD

BP

AG

..are all classics
i don't really see how AG is a top 5 hov album...at least not yet for me

vol. 2
RD
vol. 1
bp
TBA

all of these are better albums to me and i think AG is a great album

that should tell you something about his work...and the amount you can keep on your hard drive

When you said that Vol 2 was Jay's best album you lost all credibility.

American Gangster was a great album but I'm not sure if I'm ready to call it a classic yet.

Vol 2 over RD ?

Might as well say Nastradamus > Illmatic.

Seriously, Jay has to be THE most overrated rapper of all-time.

Originally Posted by iLLscan

I read this twice trying to make sure i understood you, don't you mean he gets criticized less?
I think Nas gets more scrutiny than Jay overall.......... Jay seems to get more "passes" IMO.

Um.....

Nastradamus.........pass
God's Son..............pass
Streets Disciple......pass
Untitled.................pass

vs.

Vol. 3.....................pass
Kingdom Come.......pass

I disagree whole heartedly with your statement. And I am a huge fan of both artists.

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by iLLscan

I read this twice trying to make sure i understood you, don't you mean he gets criticized less?
I think Nas gets more scrutiny than Jay overall.......... Jay seems to get more "passes" IMO.

Um.....

Nastradamus.........pass
God's Son..............pass
Streets Disciple......pass
Untitled.................pass

vs.

Vol. 3.....................pass
Kingdom Come.......pass

I disagree whole heartedly with your statement. And I am a huge fan of both artists.
**Goes back to the 'General' forum...

Vol 2 over RD ?

Might as well say Nastradamus > Illmatic.

I see you must be smoking that Fire Green.....

can we please not start with nas/jay-z comparisons?

music forum hasn't got over this yet?

ok, i knew people would disagree with the vol. 2 argument, there's very few that actually agree with me
laugh.gif
@ trying to downgrade jay's career like that

please tell me which tracks were wack on AG

overrated or not, he is one if not THE best to ever do it
Vinnie Praz's worst album > Jay-Z's discography.
don't forget, immortal technique > jay-z

Pray was 3/5
American Dreamin' was 2/5
Hello Brooklyn 2.0 was 0/5
No Hook was 2/5
Roc Boys was 2.5/5
Sweet was 1/5
I Know was 1/5
Party Life was 1/5
Ignorant #@+! was 2/5
Say Hello was 2/5
Success was 1/5
Fallin' was 2.5/5
Blue magic was 1/5
American Gangster was 2/5

(I'm rating it as generously as I can)

all in all it's mediocore at best. 2-3 decent/tolerable tracks out of 14. Not a good look. His voice/flow/delivery are all wack to me. Lyrically, it'snot as bad as most of mainstream music nowadays, but it doesn't have anything special about it at all.

Classic ? No more jokes.

If you order up their discographies from best to worst (Nas/Jay) and look at which is better going down, there is not a single time where Jay wins, fromIllmatic down to Nastradamus.

Pray was 3/5
No Hook was 2/5
Roc Boys was 2.5/5
Sweet was 1/5
I Know was 1/5
Party Life was 1/5
Ignorant %#$% was 2/5
Say Hello was 2/5
Success was 1/5
Fallin' was 2.5/5
Blue magic was 1/5

(I'm rating it as generously as I can)

all in all it's mediocore at best. 2-3 decent/tolerable tracks out of 14. Not a good look. His voice/flow/delivery are all wack to me. Lyrically, it's not as bad as most of mainstream music nowadays, but it doesn't have anything special about it at all.

Classic ? No more jokes.

You post ******ed s_ just for fun right?

If you order up their discographies from best to worst (Nas/Jay) and look at which is better going down, there is not a single time where Jay wins, from Illmatic down to Nastradamus.
i'm not sure how long you've been around this music forum but you cannot have a conversation about nas and jay

these cats on here take things personal and they say some of the dumbest +%%*

like jay's career is "a waste of hard drive space"

can we stay on topic and talk about jay and AG? please

Pray was 3/5
No Hook was 2/5
Roc Boys was 2.5/5
Sweet was 1/5
I Know was 1/5
Party Life was 1/5
Ignorant #@+! was 2/5
Say Hello was 2/5
Success was 1/5
Fallin' was 2.5/5
Blue magic was 1/5

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

To me this is one of the most vivid depictions of a hustlers career ever laid down in Hip-Hop...

I mean....American Dreamin....pure genius. He brought mad wave to the game with that. When you ever hear an MC admit that "it ain't like they professionals at moving the decimals...know where to cop? nah. got a connect? no...". Thats reality rap...This is really the _ you dream about with your homies steaming out....Son gave a step by step on how dudes stumlbe into the game over clouds of smoke while he playing that Marvin...classic _. I don't know how you can't feel something like this.

Roc Boys....Jay is the master of riding that line between hood classics and commerically appealing singles. And it gets no better than this. Real grown and gorgeous _. You ain't even got to bring ya paper out....Without sacrificing any of the feel and flow of the album he drops a 70's inspired banger...joint just snuck into every countdown...right in between Flo-Rida and Soulja Boy without skipping a beat or pandering to any specific demographic. This is a hustlers celebration right here...Captures that victorious bottle popping _ perfectly.

I know....joint is really addicting. Simple yet complex. Perfect beat. Perfect flow. A sampler of audio heron.

Party Life...roll one up....sip on a bottle of yac....two step it out with your main chick.....I could listen to this joint 30 times str8 under those conditions.

Ignorant _......lyrical genius over a epic beat. Who makes music like this besides Jay. Name em'. The flow that perfectly rides the track, the double meanings, dropping a message without forcing it on the listener...Scarface the movie did more than Scarface the rapper to me....still that ain't to blame for all tehe _ that happened to me. Real _.

Say Hello...str8 menacing. Soon as that bet drop....joint can alter your whole mood. Have you making a scrunchy face in the middle of telling a joke and _....pure passion...you can hear it in dude voice. Its rare when a track can make you feel the same emotion as a scene from a good movie...this joint does that. Only God can judge him...only he without sin...tel me if my means justify my ends. Play this joint as loud as possible....hoody low, eyes red, bending the block or stomping through the Ps...

Success....Nas and Jay bully some wild church organs in an unortodox manner....need I say more.

Fallin....
smh.gif
. Genius...really ain't no other way to describe it. The way the tracks feels like its fallin...Jays flow...the way he run down the events...the hook. Makes it feel like all that deck of cards that he laid on the first 12 tracks are really falling down.

American Gangster....he just got silly with it. Wildly lyrical. Perfect way to end the album. Probably my favorite track on the album. Joint always sounds fresh.

I don't know how y'all can just dismiss this album...like it ain't even close to being a classic. This is top quality Hip-Hop right here. Motion picture _. Vol.1 is not on this level...I listen to these albums everyday and its not even close.

GREAT explanations, especially the bolded ones. Somebody give this man a round of applause.

Back
Top Bottom