American Gangster...

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

AG is better than Vol. 1 and 2.....no question.

Don't listen to the album for a week, and during that week listen to Vol. 1 and 2, then come back and tell us your opinion.

I have those times also where I listen to an album at a certain moment and it just hits that certain spot. I would like to make a topic on it about NT, thenrealize it isn't that serious. You're probably still high anyway.

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

Don't listen to the album for a week, and during that week listen to Vol. 1 and 2, then come back and tell us your opinion.

I have those times also where I listen to an album at a certain moment and it just hits that certain spot. I would like to make a topic on it about NT, then realize it isn't that serious. You're probably still high anyway.

Word to life....I listen to Vol.1 almost EVERYDAY and Vol.2 weekly ( Iwent through 3 discs during HS).....they aren't close to AG in any category.

There is no "I know what Girls like"," Sunshine" or Face Off (tough track but mixtape material) on AG....Its a cohesive album with greatproduction, perfect flow and top notch lyrics....

intention or reasoning has nothing to do with the material produced...

i haven't listened to a song from that CD after the first 3 days. got bored REAL quick. jay just needs to be serious.

I read this twice trying to make sure i understood you, don't you mean he gets criticized less?
I think Nas gets more scrutiny than Jay overall.......... Jay seems to get more "passes" IMO.

Maybe to you, but it means a lot to me.

When its all said and done, its a gem in Jay's career. It's definitely a personal classic for me.

Album is no where near classic because of Hovs resume, but if it was any other artists it probably would be

It's been said a hundred times on here & around my way. The whole concept was a scapegoat to get back to tough guy, real N rap. I'm not buying it for one minute. He saw he needed to go the other way with his career & took the opportunity to do so.
On the other hand, I won't say the lyrics were wack, but the whole thing was just too obvious & see thru to me.
I don't understand...what does that have to do with how good the music is? like, at all?

Why should the pretext under which the album was created matter at all. When you look at a classic painting or sculpture, you don't sit therethinking...hmm, this is great...but I wonder what his motivation was.

Being too close to the hov era has skewed the views of thousands of fans and haters alike.

Why can't you listen to an album and just hear the music?

Also...

stood the the test of time
of 6 months?? I mean, I love the album too, but seriously, even the ever fickle collective memory of hip hop fans isn't short enough toconsider 6 months any significant amount of time.

I swear, just because an album is an enjoyable listen (SOLID) does NOT make it a classic.

People use that term too loosely nowadays.

Album was sick, but iono about classic. Maybe a 4 outta 5. Nonetheless:

Party Life (
eek.gif
)
Say Hello
Fallin

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Def not a classic. A classic has something special about it. I don't see anything classic about the album as of yet.

I haven't listened to it in awhile. I never can listen to it for too long of a period in order to keep it in heavy rotation.

Maybe to you, but it means a lot to me.

Why?

I mean I'm sure R. Kelly had some "odd" insprirations but I still love the actual music that was produced.

Good music is good music so why not just enjoy it for what it is?

And as far as AG, I agree the album is classic material. No skips for me.

eek.gif

Haze, you know you my dude and all....But I cannot let these shenanigans continue....

Better than Vol.2...Maybe, I'll give you that one...

But, better than Vol. 1??? NAAAAAAAHHHHHH, bruh....[chicago _'s] I can't go [chicago _'s]

Not a classic but its a great album if anything its 4.5/5

Production was great and so were the lyrics, probably one of the last hip-hop albums i can honestly listen to a good 80% of the music without skipping. Thealbum by far stood above the rest back in 07... but that doesn't make it a classic... if anything it was more of a refreshment to the Jay most cats feltand also bringing about more creativity in the mainstream.

I disagree with Illscan though on the intent thing..... the intent of most artists is to sell records in hopes of making it big... so if your judgment is basedoff intent rather than the quality of the music then your not gonna fully appreciate the work. Jay obviously had an intent on AG but does that diminish thefact that it was still a great album.

Its definitely a top 5 Jay album

AG was cool but i thought KC was the !!@ dre and jay hey dats classic! a last i checked vol.2 was da !!@. but i think by far its gotta be BP as his best work.and my only real beef with AG was the fact that it had nothin 2 do wit the movie and that kinda suck! not one jay song on the orig. soundtrack! come on!

This $%!@ isn't even close to a classic . . . Who are you kidding with this BS . . . And then some of you are hiding behind the fact by stating $%!@ like"Its a top 5 Hov album" . . . OK, IMO he has a few albums that aren't that good anyway, so I'm not seeing why that should be edged on the AGplaque as if that proves anything towards this album being a classic . . . Don't get me wrong the album is solid, he has like 8 VERY strong tracks onthere, 3 or 4 really good songs then there's some other $%!@ I'm not even digging . . .

As I always say, if we're gonna call an album a classic, we have to break it down track for track, and I personally don't see ONE track that stands outto the point it a classic track . . . Nothing stands out to me like that . . . "Fallin" is amazing tho. Let me know, cause if we gonna call a 15 orso track album a classic, you'd figuire damn near half the tracks would be classics on their own, this isn't even near the case here . . .

Originally Posted by jordanfanatic23

Album was sick, but iono about classic. Maybe a 4 outta 5. Nonetheless:

Party Life (
eek.gif
)
Say Hello
Fallin

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I never understood the hype for Party Life. It was alright. The lyrics were good, beat was
eyes.gif
, and his flow was nice, but he could have went so many directions with it, anddidn't capatalize.
But still standing behind AG being better than Vol. 1 or 2 (which I personally think is better than 1)?

You knew this was inevitable (for those who missed out last month).

2001178229293885949_rs.jpg

AMERICAN BLACKOUT DOWNLOAD LINK (MEGAUPLOAD)

Jay-Z "AMERICANBLACKOUT"

01- Introduction (Produced by MatthewThurman)

02- Pray (Produced by TheBlaylocks)

03- American Dreamin' (Producedby PLAN)

04- Hello Brooklyn 2.16 (Produced byTIME)

05-No Hook (Produced by Mighty 1neft. TIME)

06- Roc Boys (Produced by HalfAmazin')

07- Sweet (Produced byFLU)

08- I Know (Produced by StewRatBEATS!)

09- Party Life (Produced byFLU)

10- Ignorant ***% (Produced by Mighty1ne)

11- Say Hello (Produced byPLAN)

12- Success ft. Nas (Produced byMighty 1ne)

13- Fallin' (Produced by MatthewThurman)

14- Blue Magic (Produced byNAUFAL)

15- American Gangster (Produced byHalf Amazin')

16- Pray II (Produced by ApolloKeys)

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]17- Partially Sweet(Produced by True Star Productions)[/color]

Jay-Z "BLUE MAGIC" (Produced by Naufal / Video Blend by Mez 0ne)

Jay-Z ft. Pharrell "I KNOW" (Produced by StewRat BEATS! / Video Blend by Mez 0ne)

It's a very solid album, bout a 4/5 rating, but I wouldn't call it a classic. At least not yet anyway.

I havent listened to a song on this album in the longest.. Unless I happen to be listening to the radio and I know comes on

I like it, it stays in rotation.

Classic does get thrown around too much but that's just peoples opinion.

Back
Top Bottom