Another basketball strategy question vol. intramural championship

So we're in the intramural championship tonight. We play the same team that beat us in the Spring championship. They mainly revolve around their guards, and have one guard in particular that gets in the lane at will and just creates chaos for our defense. 
Advice on playing against a smaller, quicker team? We have a decent size advantage on them but their guard spots are all extremely skilled and quick. We've been talking about slowing the game down and feeding the post, but I need specific advice on perimeter defense against a team that is almost totally reliant on guards. Should we go zone? Should we switch all picks as a rule?

HALP!

2-3 Zone, keep them out of the paint and force them to hit outside jumpers. Also since you have the length advantage, you guys should also be able to disrupt the passing lanes.

Agreed on the 2-3 zone. If they can shoot the ball semi well, just extend the zone or even play a match up zone.

Since you said they are quick, slow the pace of the game down, don't get caught up in a track meet...

And since you have the height advantage, feed the post...if they go zone on you guys, look at the short corner, keep the ball moving, skip passes, and look in the middle for the high low.

If you guys play zone dont forget the help defense especially if they can blow past you guys

I would say full court press all game, if they suck at advancing the ball and passing

Originally Posted by quik1987

I would say full court press all game, if they suck at advancing the ball and passing
They're smaller and quicker than us, we would get slaughtered if we did this.
What about 2-3 zone v. 3-2 zone? 

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by quik1987

If you decide to go to a 3-2 zone, make sure you communicate on defending the corners...the corners will usually be open in a 3-2 zone...especially if the team moves the ball quickly

Originally Posted by ku JHAWX

Agreed on the 2-3 zone. If they can shoot the ball semi well, just extend the zone or even play a match up zone.

Since you said they are quick, slow the pace of the game down, don't get caught up in a track meet...

And since you have the height advantage, feed the post...if they go zone on you guys, look at the short corner, keep the ball moving, skip passes, and look in the middle for the high low.

This...

Originally Posted by ku JHAWX

PersiaFly wrote:

quik1987 wrote:

If you decide to go to a 3-2 zone, make sure you communicate on defending the corners...the corners will usually be open in a 3-2 zone...especially if the team moves the ball quickly

if they shoot well then go with a 3-2, if not just sit in a 2-3. Rebounding doesnt sound like a problem for you guys so either defense would be fine.

I would go with a 3-2 Zone only because if they are shorter compared to you guys it makes it more difficult to see back cuts over the front 3 and player movements on the lower blocks.

If it was my team, I would just play man and make them earn the game. But then again, I'm sure the talent level between my team and most are a little lopsided in my favor anyway.
laugh.gif

2-3 zone to keep them out of the paint. Also, play the guards very tightly as most quick guards like that hate that pesky defense. Eliminate that space for them to create and have them rely all on ball movement rather than creating plays off the dribble

cherry pick to get the lead early in the game, works all the time......
laugh.gif

Na seriously though:
-3-2 zone is better against a small and guard dominated team. With a 2-3 there are more holes on the perimeter and middle.
-SLOW DOWN EVERY POSSESSION AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE (less possessions for them = W)
-if they're hitting their open shots = L

You've probably already played, but my advice on top of what is said is full court press those bastards. If they revolve around good guard play then try and fluster them. Cut them off at the nuts and see if they can function when you're in their face from the get go. Then switch to the zone once they break the half court.

Play zone and force them to make their jumpshots. With your size advantage, you should be able to get the majority of the rebounds. Slowing down the game should also help.

As a coach, my recommendation would be to play box and 1. Put your best defender on that guy and guard him full court. The other 4 play in a 2-2 box zone. I usually am that guy (quick, gets in the lane, creates chaos, etc) and I know against me that sort of defense just takes me out of my game and exhausts me completely. The goal of defense is to get the offense to shoot from places they don't usually have to, or to have people that don't score much take the majority of the shots.

My recommendation is to have your best, and second best defender switch of on guarding him all night. Guard him 94 feet, keeps your hands on him. Definitely slow the game down and feed it to your bigs on offense. I'd recommend doing screen and rolls with your bigs so they have a chance to lay some weight on their guards and tire them out. If they start trying to use screen and rolls, I would trap the guards and force a tough pass. Switching will work 2nd best, and hedging will be the hardest if they have good handles.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

You've probably already played, but my advice on top of what is said is full court press those bastards. If they revolve around good guard play then try and fluster them. Cut them off at the nuts and see if they can function when you're in their face from the get go. Then switch to the zone once they break the half court.
Okay everyone talking about a FCP needs to stop. 
sick.gif
 you won't have time to get into a zone once they skip to my lou yall !%+%# into the fastbreak every play, especally if they're as fast as you say the are.
Just stay in a 2-3 zone on defense using your size to keep westbrook out of the lane (3-2 match, if they're hitting their jumpers), on offense slow it down and take care of the ball, skip passes (as dude mentioned), work the high picks and get good shots in the paint.  If you guys stay rested and clog the passing lanes they'll be forced to hit their jumpers, trust me.

Originally Posted by Sundizzle

As a coach, my recommendation would be to play box and 1. Put your best defender on that guy and guard him full court. The other 4 play in a 2-2 box zone. I usually am that guy (quick, gets in the lane, creates chaos, etc) and I know against me that sort of defense just takes me out of my game and exhausts me completely. The goal of defense is to get the offense to shoot from places they don't usually have to, or to have people that don't score much take the majority of the shots.

My recommendation is to have your best, and second best defender switch of on guarding him all night. Guard him 94 feet, keeps your hands on him. Definitely slow the game down and feed it to your bigs on offense. I'd recommend doing screen and rolls with your bigs so they have a chance to lay some weight on their guards and tire them out. If they start trying to use screen and rolls, I would trap the guards and force a tough pass. Switching will work 2nd best, and hedging will be the hardest if they have good handles.
THIS

just get me the ball...Ill do the rest
pimp.gif

seriously, if that dude is just that good, then you are out of luck. with people that are "good" you just play physical "up on you" defense. it frustrates them.

all that zone stuff will only work if you/your teammates know your assignment, and when to help. there is no reason for HIM to be able to get to the hole if you protect the paint like youre suppose to in a 2-3

Originally Posted by jthagreat

just get me the ball...Ill do the rest
pimp.gif

seriously, if that dude is just that good, then you are out of luck. with people that are "good" you just play physical "up on you" defense. it frustrates them.

all that zone stuff will only work if you/your teammates know your assignment, and when to help. there is no reason for HIM to be able to get to the hole if you protect the paint like youre suppose to in a 2-3
ohwell.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif

Hit the nail on the head. Dude destroyed us again. This time we kept it close but we were never really in it. Every time we made a run to cut it to single digits he'd just get to the bucket a couple of times and push it back to 12. They also had some other little guard that had this ridic one step pull up from 20 feet. He was like 5'7 at most but his pull up move was perfect, he probably dropped 20 on us with that move alone. 

Before the game I suggested the 3-2 and dudes were basically scared to run it, so we just went man all game. One guy said "they'll shoot us out of it."
indifferent.gif
The PG started killing us again, and we kept switching different defenders on to him. His basketball IQ is through the roof and he knew exactly what to do in every situation. I switched on to him in the second half, and was playing up on him, and he drew two fouls on me within a minute or two and I had to sit out like a 10 minute stretch with 4 fouls. Game over at that point. 

I wasn't too mad though, it was just a case of one player being in a different class. He ran their offense perfectly, set up their other guard, got our whole team in foul trouble, adjusted to every defender, and fully deserved to win. I've lost two intramural championships to him and I ain't even that mad. Crazy part is if you saw this kid on the street you would never think he could hoop. 

Thanks for the advice though. 

"Everything locked like a 2-3 zone" 
pimp.gif

edit: Oops never mind, y'all got wrecked
ohwell.gif

yall should just practice 2-3 for next season...copy that syracuse zone and just have the nearest defenders on the closest open dude. bottom 2 need to close out on opposing wings if you guys are playing a team that can shoot the ball lights out...

make em force the skip pass that's what you want all the time.

Back
Top Bottom