Any Accounting majors/accountants on NT?

I work in tax myself but corporate tax for banks and other financial institutions. But talking to some of the auditors on the same clients when we do field work it seems they do some substantive testing at year end but quarterly work is mostly control testing on internal controls.

You go to auditing for two reason in my opinion. One is you really hate tax so you do the opposite. And two is that you are doing it more so for the exit opportunities as they are a little more limited on the tax side. Even though I find that hard to understand because I find myself along with my team cleaning up auditor **** ups constantly when we prepare tax returns. Or if a research question arises the auditors usually defer to us for some reason. I mean the concept of materiality doesn't exist in tax because we work with exact figures. I've seen TBs not balance and the auditors would just put a pass because it was immiterial. Granted it was 65k on a 6 billion dollar client but still how does that not balance. :smh:

Any of y'all have any good recommendations for getting CPE? It's such a pain to do it on your own after you leave public accounting and go into industry.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

hate to grave dig but.....where do you guys go to apply for the big4 and regionals? directly on their website? some do not show any positions or applications. Im in my last semester now about to graduate with a 3.1 but no internship experience.

hate to grave dig but.....where do you guys go to apply for the big4 and regionals? directly on their website? some do not show any positions or applications. Im in my last semester now about to graduate with a 3.1 but no internship experience.
Try checking your college's School of Business/Accounting.

They might have some leads on internship opportunities at Big 4 or the smaller firms.

Mainly through your school.

But they do list positions on their website, just gotta look for it.

Also try finding your local regional campus recruiters from each firm on LinkedIn and see if you can get them to respond to you. Honestly it's a bit late in the game as at this point they filled their summer and fall classes. But for next January and summer you can try to find something.

To be honest, if your school doesn't have them coming on campus to recruit during September and October you will have a much more difficult time as you aren't part of their "target schools."

2012 I flunked out my college business school. Advisor told me maybe I should considered a less intense major like communications..

Made some adjustments, buckled down a little bit and

Graduated May 2016 with a double major in accounting and finance.

Starting big 4 October 2016

Passed all four parts of the CPA January 2017.

Hard work really did pay off.

2012 I flunked out my college business school. Advisor told me maybe I should considered a less intense major like communications..

Man, sounds like you really grinded. Congrats

What was your GPA? And did you apply to BIG 4 after you had graduation or you did an internship?

Nothing but kudos and congrats from me to you.

Communications major? Give me your advisor's address so I can Amazon Prime him these hands.

mean.gif

Man, sounds like you really grinded. Congrats

What was your GPA? And did you apply to BIG 4 after you had graduation or you did an internship?
Finished with a 3.4. Networked like crazy and did an internship during the spring and received an offer. 

Nothing but kudos and congrats from me to you.

Communications major? Give me your advisor's address so I can Amazon Prime him these hands.

mean.gif
Right. No disrespect towards comm majors but she threw that option out there basically saying "yeah you're not built for this curriculum" so I took that on the chin and used it as motivation. 

Think I'm getting a job at the IRS, waiting for this background check like [emoji]127998[/emoji]‍♂️

Damn, congrats homie. That's inspirational

I was introduced to accounting in my junior year of high school (vo-tech school, I was in business technologies). I was really good at it but never really thought of it much as a career. After HS, I started on a Business Management major at the local college. Took accounting 1 and 2, most of it was the same stuff I was doing in HS. I haven't been back to college since lol. That was about 2013 probably

Fast-forward to now, I've been with my job for 5 years. I make like 50+ per year which is decent for being 24, but I can't say I'm content. My company (Dow Chemical) will pay for my schooling, so I am thinking I should finish my degree. I just don't have any passions and now I feel like I'm late in the game, but I'm considering going the accounting route. I just hate school

I knoe what you mean, im Not complaining but i haven't had a full weekend to myself since January lol its cool come summer im taking hella days off

Yeah, I've been running straight through since the 2nd weekend in January. April will be better, but looking forward to May.

Are jobs in private much better? I'm sitting around 63k at a public regional firm in SF and will likely go up to around 70-80k after this June (either promoted or experienced staff). Is that a good time to look around and see if there are any 8-5 jobs out there that pay 85k and go toward 100k? Tired of this grind after 1.5 year of doing it.

Whatever industry you are mostly doing work in, check what similar tenured accountants make in that field.

Do you have your license? That obviously helps if you do.

It's a rate race with just 1.5 years of experience...they can get cheaper options directly out of school because your experience is closer to entry level than not...

Anyone have any success moving from audit (Big 4/Deloitte) into M&A or advisory? Any tips on how to get there? Just finished up my second busy season and wanna get a head start on transitioning out of audit.

Found out yesterday I got promoted to senior. Feeling pretty good. This is going to be a great month - promoted to senior, cpa license should be coming, and dubs win the chip. Big question now is whether to stick around for another year or to see what my options are this July to November in private. Haven't seen the official stats yet but think I'll be bumped up to 75-80k.

Back
Top Bottom