Any Accounting majors/accountants on NT?

I can honestly say I love being an auditor 
pimp.gif

I can honestly say I love being an auditor 
pimp.gif
As crazy and demanding as the job is, I enjoy being an auditor too.
Found out yesterday I got promoted to senior. Feeling pretty good. This is going to be a great month - promoted to senior, cpa license should be coming, and dubs win the chip. Big question now is whether to stick around for another year or to see what my options are this July to November in private. Haven't seen the official stats yet but think I'll be bumped up to 75-80k.
Congrats.
pimp.gif

Me, too. I love how quickly you learn the "talk" being an auditor. I'll be exploring my option though. That feeling is outweighed by clients that are a pain to deal with, the constant focus on charge hours, and the sort of hours that come with low pay (relative to location). Hopefully, can find a solid senior accountant role that pays 90k with advancement options/ability to move laterally to a non accounting role down the line out here in the SF area.

Last edited:
Any accountants on here ever just go directly into private accounting? Seems like everyone in here public only.

Any accountants on here ever just go directly into private accounting? Seems like everyone in here public only.
I went into private after 2 years of public accounting at a local firm. Depends on what company you work for, but where I work at it's less stressful and less responsibilities. I mostly just do bookkeeping, compile monthly financial statements, and make sure that I provide the auditor everything they need. Less hours, but hey, more sleep! :lol:

Last edited:
Found out yesterday I got promoted to senior. Feeling pretty good. This is going to be a great month - promoted to senior, cpa license should be coming, and dubs win the chip. Big question now is whether to stick around for another year or to see what my options are this July to November in private. Haven't seen the official stats yet but think I'll be bumped up to 75-80k.

Congrats im a senior too

I spent a couple years in private before making the switch to public. Worked at a mid size manufacturing company which started as an internship and turned into a full time position after I graduated. I enjoyed my time there (better pay, less hours) but honestly think switching to public was the right move for me. The amount of experience you gain and networking opportunities in public is unbeatable IMO.

For those who are wondering why stay longer - it's in part that you not only grow technically but you'll have led greater teams and also started to learn the business which is a universal skill

But if you stay too long you pigeon hole yourself and you will seriously be limited so it's a right balance. Usually leaving anywhere from year 3-year 6 is ideal. After that most companies won't hire you because you're too expensive and honestly won't know enough to be useful to a company at that pay rate as a SM for example.

Leaving after manager you are pretty much limited to assistant controller/controller type positions though. I'm thinking of leaving now because I feel my eventual role and goal will be outside of accounting. It'd be easy (in my head) to start as a senior accountant at a growing company and make a lateral move to something more operational in nature down the road.

Met with a recruiter out here in SF area and was really dissapointed to be honest. I work at a very large public regional firm, have 1.5 years of experience, have my CPA license and just got promoted to senior. I'll be making about 80k annually starting next paycheck and wanted to find out what sort of options I'd have if I wanted to leave and go to private in the next few months. He said most of the options I'd be a fit for are going to be in the 75-85 range. That's whack.

Last edited:
I always thought going from public to industry meant better pay and a better work life balance. It really doesn't sound like that.

I always thought going from public to industry meant better pay and a better work life balance. It really doesn't sound like that.
Depends on what position and industry you're at imo. I know dudes that go private after working in the Big 4 and the only difference is their title and pay. Still the same bs.

Currently in the air force doing military accounting which is VERY different than what you guys do but reading this thread really gives me motivation to finish school and get out. Its crazy cause me and my one civilian friend do the same thing but he makes like 20K more than me which is my biggest reason for wanting to get out.

Nice to see this thread.
Approaching almost 3 yrs. Started in private, switched over to in house recruiting laid off after 6 months,fell back on accounting currently at a publicly traded company now.
Taking first cpa exam in august.
Sucks that loyalty isn't a money maker 3 percent increase to stay on vs 50 percent increase from moving jobs... from my first to current role in 3yrs. Hopefully attaining a senior role within the next year and pushing 80kplus by 26.

Currently in the air force doing military accounting which is VERY different than what you guys do but reading this thread really gives me motivation to finish school and get out. Its crazy cause me and my one civilian friend do the same thing but he makes like 20K more than me which is my biggest reason for wanting to get out.
It's all about the benjamins mane, get that money!

To the guy who originally asked, I went private. I wouldn't recommend it.

I started out private..it becomes repetitious and mundane after a while..you learn something new Everyday in public

Imo i feel you should go public learn the field in and out then go private when you dont want to deal with the stress from public anymore..

Last edited:
It's good advice. I'm definitely learning constantly in public. It's tough to keep pushing yourself constantly like this though. It's a freakin grind to be honest. There are constant deadline all throughout the year and you always have to be working efficiently (can't spend all day learning something deeply). At least this is how it is at the big regional firm I'm at where I work on all sections etc. I don't get enough in depth time with any one section I feel sometimes. Still have no damn idea how payroll works.

I started out private..it becomes repetitious and mundane after a while..you learn something new Everyday in public

Imo i feel you should go public learn the field in and out then go private when you dont want to deal with the stress from public anymore..

I agree.

It's good advice. I'm definitely learning constantly in public. It's tough to keep pushing yourself constantly like this though. It's a freakin grind to be honest. There are constant deadline all throughout the year and you always have to be working efficiently (can't spend all day learning something deeply). At least this is how it is at the big regional firm I'm at where I work on all sections etc. I don't get enough in depth time with any one section I feel sometimes. Still have no damn idea how payroll works.

word I spend alot of time outside of work trying to learn everything about the engagements Im currently working on...my approach is that as soon as I get the SOW or any PBC documents im reading them the same night so from day 1 Ill be able to know exactly what to do

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom