Any NTers have a wheat allergy? (Not gluten)

I've been getting hives and swollen lips, as well as having trouble breathing at an alarming frequency lately. I have pretty bad seasonal allergies so I thought that's what was causing it but I still wanted to get it checked out. A trip to the allergist found the most likely culprit to be wheat. I've never had any problems with it in the past, but it turns out wheat is one of the top-8 allergens in the US. Problem is that wheat is one of the most prevalent ingredients in the American diet too. I've been eating wheat-free for a few days now and haven't had any "outbreaks" so I think the doctor might actually be right.

Anyone else allergic to wheat? How do you guys cook, eat out, etc? Wheat is in literally everything (almost). I've been getting by with salads (no croutons, limited dressing choices due to wheat being in them as well) and grilled chicken but I can already tell I'm gonna get tired of this real quick. Anyone have any go-to recipes?

Also no more beer :x. Gotta switch to ciders and distilled liquors :\.

Anyone? :nerd:

Last edited:
damn that sucks bro. i think its pretty hard to avoid.

i took my 1 yr old to the allergist to get the prick test done and shes allergic to EVERYTHING. peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy, some berries, BEEF (wtf?). For some reason, she does OK with refined wheat bread (like white bread) but will immediately break out into hives if she comes in contact with anything whole wheat. The allergist said it might be because white bread products are made from flour that is refined from certain parts of wheat which she may not have as much reaction to.

you can try non-wheat subsitutes to see if it tastes OK. they have like rice pastas or veggie pastas you can try in lieu of normal semolina (sp?) or whole wheat pastas. maybe look into some paleo diet books to see if you can find anything tasty there? Even if youre not a celiac, you might even look into some gluten free recipes/products since most (if not all?) gluten free products are also wheat free.

good luck.

damn that sucks bro. i think its pretty hard to avoid.

i took my 1 yr old to the allergist to get the prick test done and shes allergic to EVERYTHING. peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy, some berries, BEEF (wtf?). For some reason, she does OK with refined wheat bread (like white bread) but will immediately break out into hives if she comes in contact with anything whole wheat. The allergist said it might be because white bread products are made from flour that is refined from certain parts of wheat which she may not have as much reaction to.

you can try non-wheat subsitutes to see if it tastes OK. they have like rice pastas or veggie pastas you can try in lieu of normal semolina (sp?) or whole wheat pastas. maybe look into some paleo diet books to see if you can find anything tasty there? Even if youre not a celiac, you might even look into some gluten free recipes/products since most (if not all?) gluten free products are also wheat free.

good luck.
Damn that's terrible. Hopefully she grows out of it. That's the good thing with kids, they often grow out of their allergies. Us adults just develop new ones and get stuck with them :lol:. But that sounds about right in regards to her having trouble with whole wheat but being fine with refined stuff. There's 5 or so proteins in wheat that people are allergic to so she might just be susceptible to 1 or only a select few of them. Hope everything works out.

And yeah I've been looking into some gluten free recipes. Gonna make a supermarket run this weekend and stock up on all the fresh veggies, nuts, legumes and meats that I can fit in my fridge. I'm not a veggie guy by any means but it seems like they take up the bulk of a wheat/gluten free diet. Gonna have to adapt :\.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom