Any NTers in the Air Force, or intend on going?

Ignorant questions:
How long do you have to stay in the Air Force to get a GI bill?
What do you do in the air force? One of my friends that was in the air force said he just sat around all day fixing computers.
Air Force is where there's a zero chance of getting shot at right?
What do you hate/like about the air force?
I might have to look into joining after I get my degree.
Damn job competition.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

The air force is cool if your willing to compromise your entire life style and spend a majority of the time away from your family so you can fix another country.

With the job market the way it is a lot of us don't have a choice
30t6p3b.gif

I come from a military background so I know the good and the bad that comes with Air Force life

I would love to read what you have to say about it sir.
Originally Posted by smoke ya later

this thread comes up once a month.

So?
That just means more people are interested in joining.
eyes.gif

Ignorant questions:
How long do you have to stay in the Air Force to get a GI bill?
What do you do in the air force? One of my friends that was in the air force said he just sat around all day fixing computers.
Air Force is where there's a zero chance of getting shot at right?
What do you hate/like about the air force?
I might have to look into joining after I get my degree.
Damn job competition.
30t6p3b.gif

The air force is cool if your willing to compromise your entire life style and spend a majority of the time away from your family so you can fix another country.

30t6p3b.gif

I come from a military background so I know the good and the bad that comes with Air Force life

I would love to read what you have to say about it sir.
Originally Posted by smoke ya later

this thread comes up once a month.

So?
That just means more people are interested in joining.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by IgnantBliss

Originally Posted by Kurt Like A Bawwsss

Originally Posted by KingJay718

Wow, you have to shave your facial hair?
laugh.gif
eyes.gif

Yes. 
indifferent.gif

It's just hair bro. Besides my high and tight looks good. 
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
Rocking that goatee with no waiver
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
...my joint expired for a couple months now

laugh.gif
Please elaborate.  I look like Daffy Duck without his beak when I'm clean shaven.

laugh.gif
eyes.gif

Yes. 
indifferent.gif

pimp.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
Please elaborate.  I look like Daffy Duck without his beak when I'm clean shaven.

laugh.gif
eyes.gif

Yes. 
indifferent.gif

pimp.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
If you react to shaving alot you can get a waiver

laugh.gif
eyes.gif

Yes. 
indifferent.gif

pimp.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
If you react to shaving alot you can get a waiver

Originally Posted by Wordy Dirts

30t6p3b.gif

Coming from a military background, you sound misinformed.

As some one who is actually in the Air Force, I'd say the only real compromise I make is the fact that I have to shave everyday, wear a uniform to work, and the fact that I can't smoke weed. But yeah if your life style revolves around weed and facial hair, the AF might not be for you, micky ds have some good perks though. :/

As for spending time away from your family, how many of us truly want to be under our fam for our whole lives? The AF give you 30 days of paid leave a year. That along with my normal days off is more then enough IMO.

How is that the only real compromise? The military dictates your daily routine, your habitat, your actions. I  personally know many broken military families, what are you gonna do when your son is calling you from the USA because you're in South Korea or some Eastern country for years at a time handling their struggle?

I think a lot of people sacrifice the seemingly small and irrelevant things, and join the military just because it guarantees you a paycheck, while most of these people in the military are oblivious to the political nature and true implications of the military's functions.

Call me misinformed for seeing through our military institution. My dad did 20+ as a firefighter in the Air Force, as well as my granddad. My cousin was shot in the head in Nam'. The air force has provided me a life of comfort and thus misery, I don't owe this country a damn thing.

Keep in mind I'm not knocking anybody for EATING...I'm knocking the game from my perspective.

Whether you'd like to admit it or not, just about everyone makes compromises when it comes to work. Does your job not affect your daily routine, your habitat, your actions? So are you telling me that you wake up early everyday, throw on a McDonald's uniform, and slave over a hot stove just because you feel like it? Corporate American is filled with jobs that require people to abide by a set guidelines that dictates your daily routine, your habitat, your actions. The truth is that the majority of civilian people spend their entire working lives as "pawns" in a companies game designed to make the owners wealthy. Joining the military is a commitment. Joining a corporation is only a commitment until you find a better job or they lay your *%# off. One involves a commitment to something larger than yourself. Mickey D's doesn't. I really don't see how this is better then the military institution you speak of.

But then theres the harsh reality of human conflict and the reason why we have the armed forces. Once you've turned over a rock and found a perfect moral guideline to wipe away all confusion, subjectivity and doubt in discourse in history and politics, I encourage you to share it. Meanwhile, hush up and enjoy the freedoms that have been given to you.

You know you should feel fortunate I even acknowledged your reply; It's very apparent that you're only talking anecdotally. Your perception is swayed by a small number of individuals, whereas I've been in the AF for almost 5 years now, traveled the world, went to college for free, and gain a lot of life experience among other things.

Originally Posted by Wordy Dirts

30t6p3b.gif

Coming from a military background, you sound misinformed.

As some one who is actually in the Air Force, I'd say the only real compromise I make is the fact that I have to shave everyday, wear a uniform to work, and the fact that I can't smoke weed. But yeah if your life style revolves around weed and facial hair, the AF might not be for you, micky ds have some good perks though. :/

As for spending time away from your family, how many of us truly want to be under our fam for our whole lives? The AF give you 30 days of paid leave a year. That along with my normal days off is more then enough IMO.

How is that the only real compromise? The military dictates your daily routine, your habitat, your actions. I  personally know many broken military families, what are you gonna do when your son is calling you from the USA because you're in South Korea or some Eastern country for years at a time handling their struggle?

I think a lot of people sacrifice the seemingly small and irrelevant things, and join the military just because it guarantees you a paycheck, while most of these people in the military are oblivious to the political nature and true implications of the military's functions.

Call me misinformed for seeing through our military institution. My dad did 20+ as a firefighter in the Air Force, as well as my granddad. My cousin was shot in the head in Nam'. The air force has provided me a life of comfort and thus misery, I don't owe this country a damn thing.

Keep in mind I'm not knocking anybody for EATING...I'm knocking the game from my perspective.

Whether you'd like to admit it or not, just about everyone makes compromises when it comes to work. Does your job not affect your daily routine, your habitat, your actions? So are you telling me that you wake up early everyday, throw on a McDonald's uniform, and slave over a hot stove just because you feel like it? Corporate American is filled with jobs that require people to abide by a set guidelines that dictates your daily routine, your habitat, your actions. The truth is that the majority of civilian people spend their entire working lives as "pawns" in a companies game designed to make the owners wealthy. Joining the military is a commitment. Joining a corporation is only a commitment until you find a better job or they lay your *%# off. One involves a commitment to something larger than yourself. Mickey D's doesn't. I really don't see how this is better then the military institution you speak of.

But then theres the harsh reality of human conflict and the reason why we have the armed forces. Once you've turned over a rock and found a perfect moral guideline to wipe away all confusion, subjectivity and doubt in discourse in history and politics, I encourage you to share it. Meanwhile, hush up and enjoy the freedoms that have been given to you.

You know you should feel fortunate I even acknowledged your reply; It's very apparent that you're only talking anecdotally. Your perception is swayed by a small number of individuals, whereas I've been in the AF for almost 5 years now, traveled the world, went to college for free, and gain a lot of life experience among other things.

depends on the track u run dog

some of our apft's were run on a sprt track (easily takes of 30sec for a 2mile)...but then i ran one on a straight twomile with a 1.5%grade

ur gonna need to start training w four mile runs if you want to cut...gotta get that cardio up

/solider

depends on the track u run dog

some of our apft's were run on a sprt track (easily takes of 30sec for a 2mile)...but then i ran one on a straight twomile with a 1.5%grade

ur gonna need to start training w four mile runs if you want to cut...gotta get that cardio up

/solider

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by DoEBoiFreshsince88

WHAT DOES THE AIR FORCE DO EXACTLY?WHY IS IT CALLED "THE CHAIR FORCE", IS THE JOB THAT EASY COMPARED TO OTHERS? WHAT IS THE PAY FOR A PERSON WITH A DEGREE? WHAT ARE THE PERKS/ INCENTIVES?

They're the last to be deployed to war, and it mostly deals with computers.  So I've been told offline...

indifferent.gif
 The Air Force gets deployed as much as other services. AF just doesn't get deployed into combat zones to fight as often.
Computers?
indifferent.gif
 More people work in aircraft maintenance. 
When will the AF ever get deployed into a combat zone? Like is it being phased out or something, air-to-air warfare? Only Russia can really fight with us in the air, but their planes are really old as well. So when will we use the F22's and other stealth aircraft?

Forgive me for sounding ignorant.

My dad was in the Air Force for 22 years. I don't know if it was a direct combat zone or what, but I'm sure it wasn't that safe of a place. (afghanistan)  He is a Msgt and he worked as AF police/security. But yeah that's all I know. Was thinking about joining the AF 2-3 years back but now that I'm 24 I feel like I'm too old to join.

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by DoEBoiFreshsince88

WHAT DOES THE AIR FORCE DO EXACTLY?WHY IS IT CALLED "THE CHAIR FORCE", IS THE JOB THAT EASY COMPARED TO OTHERS? WHAT IS THE PAY FOR A PERSON WITH A DEGREE? WHAT ARE THE PERKS/ INCENTIVES?

They're the last to be deployed to war, and it mostly deals with computers.  So I've been told offline...

indifferent.gif
 The Air Force gets deployed as much as other services. AF just doesn't get deployed into combat zones to fight as often.
Computers?
indifferent.gif
 More people work in aircraft maintenance. 
When will the AF ever get deployed into a combat zone? Like is it being phased out or something, air-to-air warfare? Only Russia can really fight with us in the air, but their planes are really old as well. So when will we use the F22's and other stealth aircraft?

Forgive me for sounding ignorant.

My dad was in the Air Force for 22 years. I don't know if it was a direct combat zone or what, but I'm sure it wasn't that safe of a place. (afghanistan)  He is a Msgt and he worked as AF police/security. But yeah that's all I know. Was thinking about joining the AF 2-3 years back but now that I'm 24 I feel like I'm too old to join.

So if you're married do u get more money and does ur wife or husband get to come live with u?

So if you're married do u get more money and does ur wife or husband get to come live with u?

I was gonna join but everyone told me they dont do anything...its a free paycheck..so im going to the army this year

I was gonna join but everyone told me they dont do anything...its a free paycheck..so im going to the army this year

For those of you currently in the Air Force what are some of the best jobs to try to get into as far as workload and pay?

Also what jobs could i do in the AF that would help me land a job in the real world after the 4 years are up? (besides police)

For those of you currently in the Air Force what are some of the best jobs to try to get into as far as workload and pay?

Also what jobs could i do in the AF that would help me land a job in the real world after the 4 years are up? (besides police)

I'd recommended that you pick a job with top secret clearance in terms of being beneficial to you whenever you decide to get out. TS clearances are expensive to get for civilians, potential employers view applicants that already have the clearance very highly. I know a Network Adminstrator in DC making 80k a year with a Associates degree and a TS clearance.

I currently have one @ my current job as a Flight Controller, but your best bet would be to talk to your recruiter about jobs that require TS clearances.

I'd recommended that you pick a job with top secret clearance in terms of being beneficial to you whenever you decide to get out. TS clearances are expensive to get for civilians, potential employers view applicants that already have the clearance very highly. I know a Network Adminstrator in DC making 80k a year with a Associates degree and a TS clearance.

I currently have one @ my current job as a Flight Controller, but your best bet would be to talk to your recruiter about jobs that require TS clearances.

NT I finally got a processing slot at MEPS!!!! 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

goin next week! im pumped 
pimp.gif

the number one job im tryna get is definitely ISR operator
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom