Any Psych. Majors on NT!?

So I just started my summer term as an Environmental Engineer my first at a University period, and it did not take me long to remember how much I hate math. I have a passion for Science, any of them, and the math accompanied with them, but just a plain Math class isn't for me. As an Engineer it's pretty obvious I'll be dealing with math for a while.

I've always had a love for Psychology since I took it in High School, so NT Fam. any pros or cons to switching to a Psychology major?
How hard is it going to be to find work?

Any other input and ideas are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

So I just started my summer term as an Environmental Engineer my first at a University period, and it did not take me long to remember how much I hate math. I have a passion for Science, any of them, and the math accompanied with them, but just a plain Math class isn't for me. As an Engineer it's pretty obvious I'll be dealing with math for a while.

I've always had a love for Psychology since I took it in High School, so NT Fam. any pros or cons to switching to a Psychology major?
How hard is it going to be to find work?

Any other input and ideas are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by DROOPY7

I have a passion for Science, any of them, and the math accompanied with them, but just a plain Math class isn't for me. As an Engineer it's pretty obvious I'll be dealing with math for a while.

hehe yep, math is the basis of all science. psych is cool, but it would seem you would need a follow up masters in a psych-related field for it to be worth anything......

I have a passion for Science, any of them, and the math accompanied with them, but just a plain Math class isn't for me. As an Engineer it's pretty obvious I'll be dealing with math for a while.

hehe yep, math is the basis of all science. psych is cool, but it would seem you would need a follow up masters in a psych-related field for it to be worth anything......

I'm a psychology major, gonna graduate pretty soon. There are a lot of interesting classes, and some of them are relatively easy. The only (or at least the biggest) is that the major is over-populated and just a bachelor's isn't gonna get you a decent job. The money comes after the post-grad programs.

Also, there's a decent amount of people who major in psychology and go off to do something completely different in grad school.

I'm a psychology major, gonna graduate pretty soon. There are a lot of interesting classes, and some of them are relatively easy. The only (or at least the biggest) is that the major is over-populated and just a bachelor's isn't gonna get you a decent job. The money comes after the post-grad programs.

Also, there's a decent amount of people who major in psychology and go off to do something completely different in grad school.

Originally Posted by Stork

Yeah and I love Chemistry and Physics, but having to take Calculus and related math classes is not for me at all. Yeah Psych is very cool and I think I can deal with going for a Masters. I just want to be able to enjoy the field my career will be in.

AiRodney

Thanks for the response. What exactly are the types of jobs I can expect with a Master's or even Bachelor's? I mean title wise, obviously no job is guaranteed regardless of education.

Originally Posted by Stork

Yeah and I love Chemistry and Physics, but having to take Calculus and related math classes is not for me at all. Yeah Psych is very cool and I think I can deal with going for a Masters. I just want to be able to enjoy the field my career will be in.

AiRodney

Thanks for the response. What exactly are the types of jobs I can expect with a Master's or even Bachelor's? I mean title wise, obviously no job is guaranteed regardless of education.

A friend of mine graduated with her Bachelor's last year and she's working in the school system, basically as a high school guidance counselor. My plan is to get my Master's in Family/Relationship Therapy and practice. The career paths are different if you're getting a B.A as opposed to a B.S. The Bachelor's of Science is just that, more science-oriented. Most people with the B.S. go into research, the B.A. folks (people like me) go the applied psychology route. But there are a bunch of different paths to take, since there are a so many different sub-categories of psych.

What kind of work are you expecting to get into with a psych degree?

A friend of mine graduated with her Bachelor's last year and she's working in the school system, basically as a high school guidance counselor. My plan is to get my Master's in Family/Relationship Therapy and practice. The career paths are different if you're getting a B.A as opposed to a B.S. The Bachelor's of Science is just that, more science-oriented. Most people with the B.S. go into research, the B.A. folks (people like me) go the applied psychology route. But there are a bunch of different paths to take, since there are a so many different sub-categories of psych.

Originally Posted by AiRodney23

I honestly have no clue. I didn't start looking into it until a few days ago, and really needed some direction. I would say if I had to choose right now, I would love to practice it in some way. Although, I really do love the science behind it and wouldn't mind researching it either.

In your opinion do you think the amount of work you have and are putting into the degree is worth the future pay off?

Originally Posted by AiRodney23

I honestly have no clue. I didn't start looking into it until a few days ago, and really needed some direction. I would say if I had to choose right now, I would love to practice it in some way. Although, I really do love the science behind it and wouldn't mind researching it either.

In your opinion do you think the amount of work you have and are putting into the degree is worth the future pay off?

Close, I majored in Social Work and I'm going back for my MSW this summer. As far as the job market goes with any mental health job you MUST have a MA or PHD to work in a hospital where the higher paying jobs are. Private practice is another route you can take, but you will have to get various certificates (Family councilor, chemical dependency) and insurance. OP just remember, when it comes down to it your undergraduate degree isn't worth much these days (depending on your school and program of course) so focus on where you would like to work, how much money you want to make, and figure out a profession you could live with for 30+ years.

EX: I want to be a social worker. I need to make a decent salary. The VA has lots of social work jobs that pay well ($50K - $100K) and I can serve my country in the process. Win.

Look at some psych job postings, can you see yourself doing that kind of work? If you really do want to peruse that line of work, find a good mentor who preferably does the hiring where you want to work and have them guide you in the right direction.

Close, I majored in Social Work and I'm going back for my MSW this summer. As far as the job market goes with any mental health job you MUST have a MA or PHD to work in a hospital where the higher paying jobs are. Private practice is another route you can take, but you will have to get various certificates (Family councilor, chemical dependency) and insurance. OP just remember, when it comes down to it your undergraduate degree isn't worth much these days (depending on your school and program of course) so focus on where you would like to work, how much money you want to make, and figure out a profession you could live with for 30+ years.

EX: I want to be a social worker. I need to make a decent salary. The VA has lots of social work jobs that pay well ($50K - $100K) and I can serve my country in the process. Win.

Look at some psych job postings, can you see yourself doing that kind of work? If you really do want to peruse that line of work, find a good mentor who preferably does the hiring where you want to work and have them guide you in the right direction.

You need to go to grad school. Psych is so broad. I'm currently getting my ms in psych in applied behavioral analysis.
I want to work in the school districts and get summers off. Winning.

You need to go to grad school. Psych is so broad. I'm currently getting my ms in psych in applied behavioral analysis.
I want to work in the school districts and get summers off. Winning.

*#$! man, I hope so. The bulk of the actual applicable learning you get is in grad school, so it's hard for me to focus in undergrad at times. I think any degree is worth the work you put in in all honesty.

*#$! man, I hope so. The bulk of the actual applicable learning you get is in grad school, so it's hard for me to focus in undergrad at times. I think any degree is worth the work you put in in all honesty.

I graduated undergrad w/ psych. i worked in the field for five years as a case manager providing therapy for adolescents.

I currently just completed my first term for my MS in marriage and family therapy.

In regards, to choosing a path, AiRodney made some very good points. Make sure to really look at the field and have a plan that includes higher education.

Most importantly, remember the type of service you will be providing. Don't get lost in the allure of money because that most definitely doesn't come right away.

Although I didn't, I suggest finding internships during undergrad, it's a great form of networking.

Good luck

I graduated undergrad w/ psych. i worked in the field for five years as a case manager providing therapy for adolescents.

I currently just completed my first term for my MS in marriage and family therapy.

In regards, to choosing a path, AiRodney made some very good points. Make sure to really look at the field and have a plan that includes higher education.

Most importantly, remember the type of service you will be providing. Don't get lost in the allure of money because that most definitely doesn't come right away.

Although I didn't, I suggest finding internships during undergrad, it's a great form of networking.

Good luck

Great advice, thanks again guys. I just wanted to get some info. from people actually taking this route. It seems like something I can really get into. I just really need to get a plan down before Fall term starts.

Great advice, thanks again guys. I just wanted to get some info. from people actually taking this route. It seems like something I can really get into. I just really need to get a plan down before Fall term starts.

Back
Top Bottom