Anybody from Bay Area / San Fran?

runningfishy

Banned
Anybody from Bay Area / San Fran?

How's the work life, cost of living and area in general?  I've read it's a pretty diverse area, compared to LA, but w/ more Asians conjugated together?
Been wanting to visit there, and have read that the cost of living and real estate market is still pretty high in relations to other areas.

I crave dense areas, high rises, w/ nice people. :tongue:

Wanted to visit there to see if moving there would be worth while.

Any body working?

From the East Bay (Alameda)

Most cities are pretty diverse. There are definitely rich areas and hoods though.

Hit me up
laugh.gif
I'm looking to move out pretty soon. 2 bedroom apts run around $1200 + utilities. Cost of living is one of the highest in the nation, though
ohwell.gif

Yeah definitely move to the eastbay. I pay 1500 for a small apartment in Daly City which is not even in the city. You can live in a more spacious apartment in the eatbay for $1200 easy and $750 for a single bedroom in downtown Oakland which isn't bad compared to the east. If you want the city experience though, you have to do research to find a cheap spot, but, it's worth it for the experience IMO, look into the mission district/excelsior for some good spots and it still feels downtown-like.

Downtown SF>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LA downtown>>>>>>>>>>>downtown Oakland>>>downtown San Jose>>>downtown Sacramento.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Most cities are pretty diverse. There are definitely rich areas and hoods though.

Hit me up
laugh.gif
I'm looking to move out pretty soon. 2 bedroom apts run around $1200 + utilities. Cost of living is one of the highest in the nation, though
ohwell.gif
I'm from San Jose. Lived here all my life.
Not too sure about cost of living though.

I'm from the south bay it's pretty nice out here but as some say its expesenive as $#!+ out here lol

laugh.gif
Good luck finding a 1 bedroom for 750/mo in downtown Oakland. That's cheap even for a studio in that area.

As others have said, cost of living in the immediate Bay Area is some of the highest in the nation. Right up there with Manhattan, Brooklyn, DC, etc.

You're gonna get bent over renting in San Francisco, on the East Bay side of things Oakland and Berkeley aren't much better just a little bit gentler.

If you want save a couple hundred $ a month look into San Leandro, Hayward, Albany, El Cerrito to name a few cities. I would say look at the low income areas in Oakland but you're just gonna end up paying a premium to live in the hood.

If you really want a densely populated area, San Francisco is the only place for you.

I definitely recommend visiting before making a decision to relocate out here. Idk where you're from but I can't count how many times I've heard, "I hate it here, it's just too laid back," from east coast transplants.

looking to move to the bay area too
nerd.gif

how is ti for black dudes out there? do the azin wimens dig them?

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Hit me up
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
[denzel] my man! [/denzel]

I've lived in Alameda (east), Oakland (east) and San Jose (south) and also am looking to relocate to SF. Market rent prices throughout the Bay are definitely inflated, although it isnt absolutely impossible to find cheap housing. Before you move, realize that living in a dense SF neighborhood comes with crappy parking, traffic and noise conditions. 

I recommend you visit here for a few days and see if you can dig the vibe. People are generally friendly, however there's also a huge homeless/crackhead population depending on where you decide to live. Check out my 5-day Bay Area guide, I just posted in another thread: http://niketalk.com/reply/12768745#reply-12768745

Although I'm a huge travel junkie, without a doubt I'm retiring in the Bay.... Women, Weed & Weather
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

Yeah definitely move to the eastbay. I pay 1500 for a small apartment in Daly City which is not even in the city. You can live in a more spacious apartment in the eatbay for $1200 easy and $750 for a single bedroom in downtown Oakland which isn't bad compared to the east. If you want the city experience though, you have to do research to find a cheap spot, but, it's worth it for the experience IMO, look into the mission district/excelsior for some good spots and it still feels downtown-like.

Downtown SF>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LA downtown>>>>>>>>>>>downtown Oakland>>>downtown San Jose>>>downtown Sacramento.
I was gonna be mad about Sacramento being on the bottom of that list...but you're right.
tired.gif

Hayward is pretty good and in the area but it isn't densely populated city like you are looking for op.

Originally Posted by ME NO PASS

nerd.gif

Demographically San Jose might be the least black major city in the country (1%) and San Francisco is high up that list too (5%). Compare that to other big cities with relatively small black populations like Seattle, LA, NYC and you kinda get the picture.  
Aside from Oakland and Richmond, the rest of the Bay pretty much mirrors that demographic footprint.

Does it matter? I don't know. I have some friends and family who have moved to San Francisco and have said it was a serious problem for them personally while others have said its a complete nonissue. 

I live solo in a studio in SF and I love it. I can walk outside and there's a ton of eateries, golden gate park, bars, cafes, boutiques, and the muni (train) goes right by my building so downtown SF is easily accessible. I pay 1350 for rent though. While it may be steep, I'm used to it and I'm not living outside of my means. For a decent spot in SF, expect to pay 1200+

Might want to look into the silicon valley or somewhere a little more inland perhaps. Everything is still pretty close by.

Originally Posted by Chato

I was gonna be mad about Sacramento being on the bottom of that list...but you're right.
tired.gif

Hayward is pretty good and in the area but it isn't densely populated city like you are looking for op.

No he's not. Sacramento's downtown is about equal with San Jose's.

Why you gotta throw Sac at the end like that
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

But yeah, if I had the ends, I would move to Downtown SF
pimp.gif

What about buying a home in general? So you folks frequent mass transit a lot?

I dig the dense areas, but ultimately, it's the job market. That dictates everything. While San Fran is high, I was curious to know if there are any potential up and coming cities.

Originally Posted by ME NO PASS

nerd.gif

Lived there for 6 years.

Overall low black population especially outside of the East Bay. Never had a problem pullin chicks of all races.

Cost of living is high especially in SF (more expensive than LA)

SF is a great city, one of the best in America IMO. I'm from LA but I think SF > LA while SoCal as a whole > Bay Area

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

What about buying a home in general? So you folks frequent mass transit a lot?

I dig the dense areas, but ultimately, it's the job market. That dictates everything. While San Fran is high, I was curious to know if there are any potential up and coming cities.

muni goes everywhere you need to go if you're in the city. if you live closer to a BART station, even better. i'd suggest looking at a place in the outer mission/excelsior for rent.

as far as buying a home.. i'd say you're looking at 400-500k for a "decent" home in the city. my fam was searching a couple years back and those were the ranges we'd see for homes in the city that we can afford.

and for job markets, the closest cities would be San Jose and Silicon Valley area depending on your career.

EasyBay area here, Hayward to be exact. Some parts are really expensive, but it all depends on your life style too.

SF and Berkeley are probably the more interesting places, im in Palo Alto and is pretty boring (hella expensive too..)

Originally Posted by il prescelto

SF and Berkeley are probably the more interesting places, im in Palo Alto and is pretty boring (hella expensive too..)

PA is cool for families (if you're rich) or if you're a grad student at Stanford. Can't see any other reason to live there

Back
Top Bottom