Anyone Collect Sports Cards?

I have a shoebox full of all baseball, football and basketball cards that i bought at a goodwill for $2.00. I went through it and found some awesome cards, lots of rookie cards. Im not into collecting but simply bought the box because there are over 30 Michael Jordan cards alone in that box, which was the reason for the purchase. They are now stored in a closet because i dont know what to do with them.

I collect basketball cards. There was a time where cards pre-2001 weren't worth very much because the focus was on jersey patch and autographed insert cards. But over the past year, the rarer insert cards, specifically players like Jordan, Penny, Grant Hill, and older Kobe inserts have seen hikes in prices. A large reason for this is the over saturation of autographs and jersey patch cards over-saturating the market.

Before if you pulled a Jordan autographed card, that was a easy $2000, now you can get one for $300 because there are just so many that are inserted into packs. So a lot of collectors started going back to collect cards and inserts they couldnt buy when they were kids. We are talking people paying $10,000+ for a 97-98 Fleer metal precious gems Michael Jordan card.

But this is solely in the basketball card hobby, I barely follow football cards, and I know in baseball anything Matt Kemp is really hot. About 2 months ago, during Linsanity, Jeremy Lin autographed cards were selling for $350+ on average. Before Linsanity, all it cost was $3 for a Jeremy Lin auto. One collector on another message board had literally 200+ Lin autos, dude prolly spent less than $500 on his collection and sold it and made over $80,000. Last year something similar happened with Blake Griffin, though his prices have settled.

The basketball card hobby is a gamble. It was crazy a couple years ago, carlos arroyo base cards were selling for like $10-15 a piece. Now you couldnt even sell a lot of 100 for $5. Someties you just luck up, I collect Andrew Bynum cards, I've been selling my collection since All Star break, his stuff isnt super hot, but its at least tripled in value.

whats the best website for cards or a message board like NT on sports cards ?

Also whats a good site to see the worth of trading cards

Originally Posted by nine point five
why would you take a picture of yourself throwing it out?
I woulda just thrown it on ebay 
laugh.gif

i just remembered that back in '04...when the draft class was coming up, I bought the topps chrome rookie refractors for Lebron James, D Wade, Bosh, Darko (
laugh.gif
)and Melo....hmm...
anyways, 160jordansdeep, you can go to beckett's website for the pricing of  cards

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

i just remembered that back in '04...when the draft class was coming up, I bought the topps chrome rookie refractors for Lebron James, D Wade, Bosh, Darko (
laugh.gif
)and Melo....hmm...
anyways, 160jordansdeep, you can go to beckett's website for the pricing of  cards
anything thats free something like niketalk 

My brother is only into collecting Kobe otherwise he does it for profit. The market isn't there like it used to be but if you know what to buy and have the ability to be buy in bulk there is a lot of money to be made. He generally can buy a case, 12 boxes, break even on master sets and team sets and the rest of inserts become pure profit.

I collect baseball cards.

I have a bunch of valuable bowman chrome gold RC's that are pretty hot right now (darvish, bryce harper rc auto, starlin rc, cespedes rc...)

I got beckett.com account if anyone wants to know how much their card is worth.

i was thinking about collecting some sports card in the future based on future superstars going pro (for instances, luck or rg3 or anthony davis).

what type of brand/co of collecting cards should i look into?

i still have my nba cards up 'til now.
2 whole booklets of it. No specific player on the collection that I collect.
Do not know how to sell these, due to this fact. 

I used to back in the mid-late 90's. I still have a handful in this old book stashed away. I looked through it the other day and there's some Elway, Steve Young, Emmitt
Smith, Dan Marino and Jerry Rice cards in there. Have Steve McNair's rookie card too, andI believe Junior Seau. I used to collect them HEAVY though. Me and my cousin
were always trading them and just stacking them, but I guess it was just a phase. I mentioned this in another thread like this, but I still wanna know what happened to the
aspect of card collecting. It seemed like it just faded out like nothing, even though I still see a lot of different card brands at Wal-Mart.

In the mid-90s I was into collecting cards like crazy..i stopped once I turned around 15-16..still have all my cards though..have a Scottie Pippen rookie card
pimp.gif

One rookie card i want is the Jordan rookie card..but I doubt I will ever find one for a really good deal..

My aunts got me into basketball cards, I was 8 years old... now just turned 20...
held on to some cards for a long time.. thinking they were hot and could sell them for college. smh

-I have all the Kobe rookie cards, minus the topps chrome refractor.
-I had an MJ final shot card- that had a piece of the floor from the Game 6, but now it's not his last shot and the value went to regular.
-My aunt sold the vince carter sp-authentic for 300, some cards were just crazy
- everyone who collected bball cards knew that the MJ Fleer 1986 rookie card was wanted.. beckett had that %%% for $10000.00

Originally Posted by 160jordansdeep

whats the best website for cards or a message board like NT on sports cards ?

Also whats a good site to see the worth of trading cards
You can Check blowoutcards.com, freedomcardboard.com. For the value, everyone goes by ebay value.

Originally Posted by xxhu5sl1npnoyxx

I collect basketball cards. There was a time where cards pre-2001 weren't worth very much because the focus was on jersey patch and autographed insert cards. But over the past year, the rarer insert cards, specifically players like Jordan, Penny, Grant Hill, and older Kobe inserts have seen hikes in prices. A large reason for this is the over saturation of autographs and jersey patch cards over-saturating the market.

Before if you pulled a Jordan autographed card, that was a easy $2000, now you can get one for $300 because there are just so many that are inserted into packs. So a lot of collectors started going back to collect cards and inserts they couldnt buy when they were kids. We are talking people paying $10,000+ for a 97-98 Fleer metal precious gems Michael Jordan card.

But this is solely in the basketball card hobby, I barely follow football cards, and I know in baseball anything Matt Kemp is really hot. About 2 months ago, during Linsanity, Jeremy Lin autographed cards were selling for $350+ on average. Before Linsanity, all it cost was $3 for a Jeremy Lin auto. One collector on another message board had literally 200+ Lin autos, dude prolly spent less than $500 on his collection and sold it and made over $80,000. Last year something similar happened with Blake Griffin, though his prices have settled.

The basketball card hobby is a gamble. It was crazy a couple years ago, carlos arroyo base cards were selling for like $10-15 a piece. Now you couldnt even sell a lot of 100 for $5. Someties you just luck up, I collect Andrew Bynum cards, I've been selling my collection since All Star break, his stuff isnt super hot, but its at least tripled in value.
You must be talking about this one
happy.gif

One like this just ended for 4k..

These will never be FT/FS as they been in my collection ever since I pulled/bought them

Originally Posted by 916kid

i was thinking about collecting some sports card in the future based on future superstars going pro (for instances, luck or rg3 or anthony davis).

what type of brand/co of collecting cards should i look into?
For Football it depends how high end you want the card to be. The best would be Panini National Treasures. I had this Cam Newton and sold it for $3100 the first day the product was released. But you had to basically wait til the end of the season and a few months after for that product to release. But a safe bet is to buy Topps Chrome, as the rookies in there are worth a decent amount if you get the right ones.
Basketball: Basketball would be the same as football with Panini Preferred. I had this Griffin auto and got around 3500..I should of held out for more, but it was a nice profit. 

If you need more help about cards feel free to PM me.

^^ thanks for the info striderboi

where could these card pack/brand be purchased at?

also do you buy like the packages or the box?

Originally Posted by 916kid

^^ thanks for the info striderboi

where could these card pack/brand be purchased at?

also do you buy like the packages or the box?
If you are located in the 916 area I recommend going to Teammates. Their address is 4705 Manzanita Avenue, Carmichael, California.  (916) 488-2303. Mike is a really great guy and his prices are very low considering it's a local hobby shop. The higher end product will run you anywhere from 125-500 a box. The lower/mid end starts around 45 a box or so. I buy all my boxes/cases only wax dealer in the bay area. He's also best friends with Mike, so that how he has lower prices then all the shops around. You can also buy boxes and supplies online. Try blowoutcards.com or dacardworld.com. Both are super legit sites for all your card needs.

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

dam u striderboi.....

What did I do? I just been collecting cards wayyy longer then I been a sneakerhead....but if you want to trade shoes for cards i'm down
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom