Anyone go to UCR?

I know UCR is easy to get into (I've already been accepted), but overall, is it a good school?
Academics, social, location even.
I've seen one NTer say avoid it at all costs.

I applied to Irvine as well, and am waiting on that.

I just got denied to Davis.
frown.gif

3.59 GPA at time of application.
1780 SAT I
11** SAT II (don't quite remember)

Anyway, if I don't get into UCI, should I go to UCR, or wait and attend a CC then transfer to Irvine?

Thanks!

Don't let the whole perception of UCR being a bad school fool you. UCR may be bad compared to all the other UC's (not as bad as Merced though), butbetter than most CSU's. I'm in my fourth year at UCR right now about to graduate.

If your plans are to transfer later on, I say just go to a community college. It's not worth your time and money to go to a University you never reallywanted to go to only to transfer.

College is what you make of it.

UCR class of 2007,,,to be honest with you alot of people talk $*% about the school and claim that were horrible in terms of academics and what not. like my manabove said college is what u make of it, especially for just undergrad, worry bout the name recognition once u get to grad school/law school/med school...andtrust u can get into any school u want going to UCR. Got friends now attending NYU, Stanford, Harvard and many more top tier schools...as for me gettin that JDby 2010...holla at me for any info in terms of majors and classes.

Right here homie class of '10..UCR aint bad as people make it out to be. It is mostly a commuter school however everything is close around here. Locationis a good part and remember it is what you make of it!
Try going on a tour around the school in the spring and you decide on your own!

haha i knew i would see you up in this post

yeah man...everybody always makes UCR out to be worse than it is...the location is cool

if you're used to LA life or beach life, might be hard to adjust if you're dorming

but if you're from the IE or the valley, you should be fine.

i wouldn't choose to go to UCR over UCI, but it's still a good school.
but anyway, like someone said earlier, just take a tour of the school to see if you'd enjoy the atmosphere.

UCR is heavily overlooked just cuz there's a perception it's "UC Rejects" when it's certainly not the case. I know some people who choseto go there over Irvine, I guess cuz they liked it better. It's a shame that some Asian parents really feel it's a reject school though
indifferent.gif

^ it's a reject school when they hold expectations of going to yale or harvard haha

well, last year when my friend went there..

he said all he really did (other than schooling) was party, club, morongo, and snowboarding

well. & the usual college life stuff. like dennys at 3am, starbucks, hookah bar, etc etc

c/o 10 here,

UCR wasn't my first choice, but it really is what you make of it. The area surrounding the school isn't that great, and if you want to do anythingyou'll probably have to head out of Riverside, which really isn't too bad since Riverside is about a hour or two away from anywhere in SoCal (Big Bear,OC, LA). One thing that bugs me about the location is the insane amount of traffic on the 60/215 Freeway. The 60 East is almost always jammed pack, even whenits not rush hour. The actual social life of UCR is decent, depends really on who you know. Other than that, the actual school/campus is pretty nice, and themajority of the professors i had weren't too bad/hard. Overall, I think it's a really decent school if you give it a chance.

Anyways, anyone else at UCR sick of studying? Finals week blows.

I would rather go to a community college for two years and transfer out. UCR is not that great. My cousin is attending UCR and she hates it!!!!!! Its my senioryear in high school too!! Im already set with USC. Go Trojans!!!!!

Traffic sucks.
Clubs are cool though.
Hot girls?

Is the area "ghetto"? Lol, it's what I've heard from people at school.

And what's with the med school opening 2012?

The area is not that ghetto. If you go down the street (Linden) then you are in another area that the school does not want to portray. Past Chicago is wherethe heavy crime is at (East Side Riverside)..crime is actually rising up again but Riverside is trying to clean out the area from the prostitues, drugs, gangs,etc . I grew up in that part so i know what goes down around there, just dont bother going down there and you should be good! Another positive note is Tijuana,about 1 hour 45 minutes away.
Just make the trip down here and you decide if you are feeling it!
There is decent looking girls, a #@!# load of Asians (so if you are into that then your good)

Going down University Avenue heading away from the school, you'll probably see some bums and/or prostitutes hanging around. It 's not ghetto, but itreally isn't aesthetically pleasing either. Once you drive past all of the numerous Mexican food joints and liquor stores, you'll end up in Old TownRiverside which is pretty nice. Another nice area around the school is the Canyon Crest Center, its a nice place to chill. I have to say in my opinion half ofRiverside is nice, and the other half is decent.

I think theres okay amount of good looking girls, like 951jenius said, theres a %##+%!+! of Asians. Mostly Korean, Chinese, and Viet chicks.

and the UCR medical school is set to open in 2012, so that'll probaly move it up a couple of notches on the College Rankings.

damn had this sn for a loong a** time but never post...lurking even longer but anyways......ucr is an ok school its just how u make it meet the right peopleand you will be aight. As far as the city it aint that great but your not too far from la OC or SD ...been at this school way too looooong need to graduatelol...btw way wut up jelani i saw u post up there and i know ur lurking its antonio

c/o 2007. Like someone said. College is what you make of it. I had some good teachers and academic experiences at ucr. Other than that the only downside is theL.A thing is an hr away and the beaches .

not to crap on your school as ive never even been there
but from wat ive seen
all my hs friends that go there either joined a huge frat n get plastered all the time. good times
think the school blows and just chill at home and smoke all day literally
got into drugs- not talkin bout simple bud but harder things.
this is just from the 10-20 people i kno that go there so not first hand experience.

^ i think you made a typo with the "go into drugs"
probably meant "got"
but you should edit it just in case a mod reads and thinks youre encouraging the use of hard drugs hahah

Back
Top Bottom