Anyone Got an S Class? 7 series vs a8 vs s500?

Originally Posted by proper english

10-15 grand for a full sized luxury?
laugh.gif
just copp a GS300/400 dude and youre set.

Co sign. I would rather cop a Lexus GS300/400 and call it good. Its reliable and the looks good

Originally Posted by FedExciter

i got a 2001 s500,got it almost 2 years ago.I loved it when i first got it (and so did the females).but now everytime i see a s550 i feel like im wearin fubu or somethin...heres some pics

roll.gif
...that had me dyin....still hot car tho man
pimp.gif

ive got a 1992 w140 benz v12 s600, ive got it modded its over 500hp now, im gettin rid of my Range and gonna cop probably an 04 or 05 s55 AMG w220 instead formy second car, im in the process of lookin for one now....Im not a huge fan of the new w221 S class exterior compared to the older models but theyre still nice

ive got a great local indie benz mechanic, and am a regular at benz forums, do not get a 00-02 S class, anything 03 or later when they facelifted it and fixedalot of issues is much more reliable, imo Im a big benz fan so Id go with the S, but the bmw is cool too, i hate lexus but thats just me, i need more powerthen the weak engines they put in their luxury cars, but theyre good cars too...

These cars aren't as unreliable and expensive as many think, if that makes sense. I have had my 01 740il for almost a year now and all I did was replacethe brakes.
I just did my rear brakes for $260 - $200 for parts and $60 labor. When I did the front brakes, one mechanic wanted $700. There is a way to save money doingthese things. Other than the brakes (which has to be replaced on every car) there haven't been any problems.
Oil change $100? You can do it yourself in your driveway, but I take it to the BMW/Audi/Benz mechanic and he plugs it up to the computer to find any errorswhile doing it.

You never have to worry about engine or transmission problems unless you get a 95 7 Series with the Nikasil engine. I've been checking the BMW forums forover a year and only one or two times has someone had problems with the big parts, most everything that will go wrong are the little things.

There are sites like e38.org that have a write up on how to fix anything in the car.

Alright so the 740s in the 2001 year have probolems? Even though it was last year of production, while the 750 has less but it is a v12... must suck gas likeno other. I have read good things about the 2002 s-class. What are the major differences betweenthe 2002 and 2003. Thing is i can drive one of these cars incanada for a year then sell it for just as much or more than i bought it for cause canada is such a joke.

All cars have problems at some time, but the 740/750 are best in the 01 year, mechanically and cosmetically. The sideskirts and front/rear bumper lips are bodycolor on 01 instead of flat black like the 95-00 years. Also, navigation is standard and 01 models built after Sept 00 have widescreen 16:9 nav screen andothers have 4:3. It is about half and half with the 01 between widescreen and regular, I got lucky and the car I found had the widescreen.

2003 S500 aren't really that cheap though. If I remember correctly when browsing a few months ago, they were still in the upper 20s low 30s. That is in myarea though, they are pretty rare so it might bump the price up. If you are in LA, NY, Miami etc. S500 are pretty readily available so you could probably finda deal. You should not pay over $20,000 for a 2001 740iL, 750iL I'd cap out at $22,000 but there is one on eBay right now with the Highline interior thathas 21K miles that will probably go for 30+.

Differences in the S500 between 00-02 and the 03+ are the headlights, taillights, and different center console and navigation. Headlights are clear as opposedto the old foggy look. Taillights have four smaller clear lines as opposed to two. Navigation went from 4:3 to 16:9 and looks real nice in the 03+. I'msure the 03 are better mechanically than the 00-02 since those were the first years of production. My dads boss has an 05 S500 and it is incredible. You seemanhole covers coming up in the road but don't even hear or feel going over it.

Another thing though, is the S Class had air suspension and I've heard they had problems with it failing. The air ride is $$$$$$ to fix, probably more thanthe 750 with EDC. 740 is not that expensive to fix, like I said earlier you can get all 4 shocks for about $650 where you'd be looking at about $3000 inthe S and 750 if not more (prices don't include labor).

Enough rambling from me for now

hm alright thanks a lot. You dont know anything about the s55 do you? Im gonna look for a 740 and go from there. The s500 and 740 are around the same to fix imguessing

Don't know too much about the AMG S Class as it was out of my price range when looking last year so I didn't research it too much.

I would say that the 740 is cheaper to maintain than the S500... but I don't own an S so I don't know for sure.

the first few years of the S55 from 00-02 it was only like 350hp, the last few years it was like 469hp, so im gonna try to get one of those once i dump thisRange off, so if your gonna get a s55, dont get a 00-02...

Back
Top Bottom