Anyone here have over $100k in Student Loan DEBT? vol. $

I'm at $36K right now.. About $50K when I'm done with undergrad for Business Admin-Marketing/History... Then between $36-44K for Graduate in Secondary Education..

So I guess between $84-$94K (I was giving ball park estimates).. Then get into teaching which with my master's already (instead of having to get it 3-5 years after being hired) I should start at the high $40K's or low $50K's..

And if I get into the High School level where I can teach both History & Business I start in the high $50K range..

I was originally supposed to take PoliSci but unfortunately plans change and switched to History so I could teach.. My goal is when I am in my 30's and mostly paid off I can finish something I started (27 credits short on polisci.. Just the principle for me)..

Originally Posted by CarolinaPack04

Originally Posted by dmxgod

I have 107 but with interest right now it's 138K..
frown.gif

I'm goin to grad school for Special Education..

My school that I went to for Undergrad was 25K a year..but i hadda stay extra or else i would've been under 100..

NY/Education field doesn't have a great loan forgiveness program..so i'ma start paying once my grad work is done..

*sigh* it sucks..but i gotta deal with it..
eek.gif

eek.gif

and wat did you go to undergrad for?
#yourdoinitwrong

And  #You'reDoingItWrongAlso

frown.gif

My school that I went to for Undergrad was 25K a year..but i hadda stay extra or else i would've been under 100..

NY/Education field doesn't have a great loan forgiveness program..so i'ma start paying once my grad work is done..

eek.gif

eek.gif

#yourdoinitwrong

And  #You'reDoingItWrongAlso

Originally Posted by JuJu

Originally Posted by ForeverDecember21

ForeverDecember21 wrote:
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

at the type of person who thinks 100k is debt that isn't managable... its not like cats is dropping 100k to be communications majors, im SURE most these cats with large student loans are going to med, law, grad school to get a job where 100k in debt wont be %!%. 
I never said it isnt managabel but COT %$+%#++ DAMN thats like a house. Thats OD as **%+. And even if they do become surgeons and lawyers. Itll still take them a handful of years to pay it off. Not for me.
naw you right about that one, it is manageable but i will be paying for a while. cause even with the loan forgiveness i was talking about you have to pay a reduced some for the 10 years. but the loan forgiveness isnt a lock, soooooooooooooooooooooo if i didn't get it, id have to pay about 1200-1500 a month in student loans to pay it off in 10 years like you are suppose to... i swear to god imma be doing all kinds of #$% to get those billable hours when i become an attorney if i don't get that loan forgiveness.
sick.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Can you explain this loan forgiveness you speak of? I live in Florida as well. We all know people that think working FT while in school is great. I understand because graduating with 0 debt in this economy is ideal(C.Y.A) when no career is secure. However I feel that loans even in a low- cost state like ours can be beneficial to supplementing you(in addition to a PT job maybe) to live or pay tuition while in college. Therefore you can study more or position yourself for that top notch job or get in that grad school that such and such didn't get because he/she worked 40 hours at the mall,made b's and c's, didn't retain any knowledge etc.... Risk= reward
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ForeverDecember21

ForeverDecember21 wrote:
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

at the type of person who thinks 100k is debt that isn't managable... its not like cats is dropping 100k to be communications majors, im SURE most these cats with large student loans are going to med, law, grad school to get a job where 100k in debt wont be %!%. 
I never said it isnt managabel but COT %$+%#++ DAMN thats like a house. Thats OD as **%+. And even if they do become surgeons and lawyers. Itll still take them a handful of years to pay it off. Not for me.
naw you right about that one, it is manageable but i will be paying for a while. cause even with the loan forgiveness i was talking about you have to pay a reduced some for the 10 years. but the loan forgiveness isnt a lock, soooooooooooooooooooooo if i didn't get it, id have to pay about 1200-1500 a month in student loans to pay it off in 10 years like you are suppose to... i swear to god imma be doing all kinds of #$% to get those billable hours when i become an attorney if i don't get that loan forgiveness.
sick.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Can you explain this loan forgiveness you speak of? I live in Florida as well. We all know people that think working FT while in school is great. I understand because graduating with 0 debt in this economy is ideal(C.Y.A) when no career is secure. However I feel that loans even in a low- cost state like ours can be beneficial to supplementing you(in addition to a PT job maybe) to live or pay tuition while in college. Therefore you can study more or position yourself for that top notch job or get in that grad school that such and such didn't get because he/she worked 40 hours at the mall,made b's and c's, didn't retain any knowledge etc.... Risk= reward
pimp.gif

Having debt sucks...

But at the end of the day... College is about preparing yourself for what you want to do for the next 40-50 years..

IF YOU LOVE WHAT YOU DO, having $100K in debt is a simple price to pay for your happiness.

Owing $100K in loans to do what you love >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Having only a tiny bit of debt and hating to go to work everyday.

Having debt sucks...

But at the end of the day... College is about preparing yourself for what you want to do for the next 40-50 years..

IF YOU LOVE WHAT YOU DO, having $100K in debt is a simple price to pay for your happiness.

Owing $100K in loans to do what you love >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Having only a tiny bit of debt and hating to go to work everyday.

Originally Posted by Rapsteady1

after my undergrad and med school I was about 150k in debt. Now I have less than 90k left.

tired.gif
cant wait until its all paid off.

wow that's actually not that bad
ohwell.gif
i try not to think about it. at the pace im going at right now im gonna have way more than that. one of my friends graduated med school with 350k in debt
alien.gif

Originally Posted by Rapsteady1

after my undergrad and med school I was about 150k in debt. Now I have less than 90k left.

tired.gif
cant wait until its all paid off.

wow that's actually not that bad
ohwell.gif
i try not to think about it. at the pace im going at right now im gonna have way more than that. one of my friends graduated med school with 350k in debt
alien.gif

are you guys calculating your investments before taking these loans? excuse my ignorance, but how can someone take a 100k loan with a degree in history or teaching?

id be weary of taking loans in excess of 25k, and im majoring in engineering

are you guys calculating your investments before taking these loans? excuse my ignorance, but how can someone take a 100k loan with a degree in history or teaching?

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorg3

Teaching at least in New York requires 4 year of undergrad in the field you want to teach (biology, chemistry, history, math, what have you), and a master's in education.

A normal undergrad is at least $10k a year.  And you'd be lucky to find a graduate program that isn't $20K a year..

$10K x 4 years = $40K    $20K x 2 years = $40K     $40K + $40K = 80K

It's pretty easy to get yourself close to $100K.

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorg3

Teaching at least in New York requires 4 year of undergrad in the field you want to teach (biology, chemistry, history, math, what have you), and a master's in education.

A normal undergrad is at least $10k a year.  And you'd be lucky to find a graduate program that isn't $20K a year..

$10K x 4 years = $40K    $20K x 2 years = $40K     $40K + $40K = 80K

It's pretty easy to get yourself close to $100K.

frown.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

#yourdoinitwrong
Social Studies 7-12..but the school I went to is one of the top education colleges in NY state..hell in the nation..plus the extra two years added a lotta money onto my debt or I would've been good..
6 years to complete undergrad for an education degree? You just slacking off the first few years or what? at 25K a year and trying to become a teacher, i woulda been tryina get through undergrad in like 3.5 years. Damn son, best of luck to you though. Sounds like youll be in debt for the rest of your life 
undergrad put me in debt of 40k (academic scholarships FTW).  Graduated in May of last year, started workin full time in September makin 42k a year. Im payin 500$ a month right now, moved back home and i feel like ill be debt for years to come. Cant even imagine buying a house anytime in the foreseable future. 
frown.gif
indifferent.gif

frown.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

#yourdoinitwrong
Social Studies 7-12..but the school I went to is one of the top education colleges in NY state..hell in the nation..plus the extra two years added a lotta money onto my debt or I would've been good..
6 years to complete undergrad for an education degree? You just slacking off the first few years or what? at 25K a year and trying to become a teacher, i woulda been tryina get through undergrad in like 3.5 years. Damn son, best of luck to you though. Sounds like youll be in debt for the rest of your life 
undergrad put me in debt of 40k (academic scholarships FTW).  Graduated in May of last year, started workin full time in September makin 42k a year. Im payin 500$ a month right now, moved back home and i feel like ill be debt for years to come. Cant even imagine buying a house anytime in the foreseable future. 
frown.gif
indifferent.gif

Im doing IT and I dont see myself getting over 10k in debt. If anything goes horribly wrong grades wise maybe 15k but no where near 100k.

Im doing IT and I dont see myself getting over 10k in debt. If anything goes horribly wrong grades wise maybe 15k but no where near 100k.

frown.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

#yourdoinitwrong
frown.gif
indifferent.gif
First semester i tanked cause it was my first time away from home..then the rest of the time i was good..however..when i was bout to do my student teaching in my 5th year they said I couldn't because of a class that I thought I had taken but didn't..then I had to do an extra student teaching 8 weeks because the one supervisor told me I wasn't ready for my own classroom..i was technically finished in January '08 but I had to wait till May '08 to graduate..

I'm not complaining at all..but if I had to do it all over again I would have went to a state school for undergrad and got the same education..but we all make the decisions we make..and gotta live with them..

frown.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

#yourdoinitwrong
frown.gif
indifferent.gif
First semester i tanked cause it was my first time away from home..then the rest of the time i was good..however..when i was bout to do my student teaching in my 5th year they said I couldn't because of a class that I thought I had taken but didn't..then I had to do an extra student teaching 8 weeks because the one supervisor told me I wasn't ready for my own classroom..i was technically finished in January '08 but I had to wait till May '08 to graduate..

I'm not complaining at all..but if I had to do it all over again I would have went to a state school for undergrad and got the same education..but we all make the decisions we make..and gotta live with them..

Back
Top Bottom