Anyone here who doesn't believe in Evolution?

Originally Posted by WhatsLosinLike

Originally Posted by htownhooper31

If humans evolved from apes why aren't apes still turning into humans today?

This shows people have absolutely no idea how evolution and genetics works.

I don't even know where to start to explain it.

1. You've heard of survival of the fittest no? The traits most adaptive for survival in an environment gets passed on to the next generation and those that aren't die off.

2. Examples of this concept at work= Divergent evolution....start as one species, get separated physically into 2 different environments. In each group traits are selected for that are ideal for survival in each environment and after many generations you have 2 new species.

3. Evolution is a very slow process and takes thousands of generations to create new species. What you said is insinuating that evolution happens overnight.

4. An example of a quicker form of evolution...because microbes have a very short life cycles evidence of genetic shift is easy to demonstrate.

eg. acquiring antibiotic resistance. Microbes and humans are in a constant war of arms, and their way of dealing with out drugs is by acquiring new genes + mutations. (The Red Queen hypothesis)

Cliffnotes:
-Evolution is genetic change as a result of environmental change/stressors
-evolution doesn't happen overnight
-In some species with short life cycles the concepts that govern evolution can be established more rapidly.

1. You've heard of survival of the fittest no? The traits most adaptive for survival in an environment gets passed on to the next generation and those that aren't die off.

2. Examples of this concept at work= Divergent evolution....start as one species, get separated physically into 2 different environments. In each group traits are selected for that are ideal for survival in each environment and after many generations you have 2 new species.

3. Evolution is a very slow process and takes thousands of generations to create new species. What you said is insinuating that evolution happens overnight.

4. An example of a quicker form of evolution...because microbes have a very short life cycles evidence of genetic shift is easy to demonstrate.

eg. acquiring antibiotic resistance. Microbes and humans are in a constant war of arms, and their way of dealing with out drugs is by acquiring new genes + mutations. (The Red Queen hypothesis)

Cliffnotes:
-In some species with short life cycles the concepts that govern evolution can be established more rapidly.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Cliffnotes:

I was listening to a NPR story this morning with a guy talking about how the number of microbes on our bodies outnumber the number of cells we have by like 10 i think. He was saying how microbe interactions basically are the larger factor in how we change thru time, not so much on the pure.environmental stress side. He was also talking about fecal culture transplants to help heal people 
sick.gif

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129862107

Cliffnotes:

I was listening to a NPR story this morning with a guy talking about how the number of microbes on our bodies outnumber the number of cells we have by like 10 i think. He was saying how microbe interactions basically are the larger factor in how we change thru time, not so much on the pure.environmental stress side. He was also talking about fecal culture transplants to help heal people 
sick.gif

Originally Posted by damn its me

i think christians have been going with the whole "definition of a day" thing.

like the bible being figurative as opposed to literal.,
on the first day, god created this or that
on the second day this or that

so what did God consider a day to be? clearly we've never seen talking serpents or parting seas either, but again i think most are aware of the bibles proverbial literate.

in other words a day couldve been 10000000 years, or whatever so whos to say evolution didnt occur between one and another of those days?

basically that allows for beleiving all that jazz, whilst staying logical, and knowing that science is indeed correct.

good point.

as we progress in thought and science, it would be pretty logical for our ideas about the cosmology of the universe to progress along with our thoughts.

we have to recognize the time period which creationism was.. well created in. in a time period without any answers or much science to find answers,  it only makes sense that people of that time period perceived the world as magical. they were just looking for answers to an existence that asked so many unanswerable questions.

so of course i understand the way that religion began. what irks me is the cult like following that religion has to this day. there really has been no progression in religious thought, just fanatical devotion to texts written eons ago that is interpreted literally. do you see how illogical that sounds?

now science... science gives us a lot of answers about the phenomenon that is this life. there is such harmony in nature and biological functions and everything. i'm not going to get into it because i should be studying, but science is so amazing that it gives me insight into higher powers and such. it is because of science that i believe in a higher power.
maybe evolution is just a byproduct of "creationism" and by that i mean, something a higher deity created evolved on its own.

what i think we need as a society is to redefine religion. but that is impossible, i know.
we'll never know though will we?
laugh.gif

so we should stop forcing our beliefs down other peoples throats and learn to respect each other.

because really all of our different thoughts are just the ways that cultural ideas and such have been perceived and have evolved over time.
thought is evolutionary as well.

so maybe i should block you for not believing in it
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by damn its me

i think christians have been going with the whole "definition of a day" thing.

like the bible being figurative as opposed to literal.,
on the first day, god created this or that
on the second day this or that

so what did God consider a day to be? clearly we've never seen talking serpents or parting seas either, but again i think most are aware of the bibles proverbial literate.

in other words a day couldve been 10000000 years, or whatever so whos to say evolution didnt occur between one and another of those days?

basically that allows for beleiving all that jazz, whilst staying logical, and knowing that science is indeed correct.

good point.

as we progress in thought and science, it would be pretty logical for our ideas about the cosmology of the universe to progress along with our thoughts.

we have to recognize the time period which creationism was.. well created in. in a time period without any answers or much science to find answers,  it only makes sense that people of that time period perceived the world as magical. they were just looking for answers to an existence that asked so many unanswerable questions.

so of course i understand the way that religion began. what irks me is the cult like following that religion has to this day. there really has been no progression in religious thought, just fanatical devotion to texts written eons ago that is interpreted literally. do you see how illogical that sounds?

now science... science gives us a lot of answers about the phenomenon that is this life. there is such harmony in nature and biological functions and everything. i'm not going to get into it because i should be studying, but science is so amazing that it gives me insight into higher powers and such. it is because of science that i believe in a higher power.
maybe evolution is just a byproduct of "creationism" and by that i mean, something a higher deity created evolved on its own.

what i think we need as a society is to redefine religion. but that is impossible, i know.
we'll never know though will we?
laugh.gif

so we should stop forcing our beliefs down other peoples throats and learn to respect each other.

because really all of our different thoughts are just the ways that cultural ideas and such have been perceived and have evolved over time.
thought is evolutionary as well.

so maybe i should block you for not believing in it
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by torgriffith

Cliffnotes:

sick.gif

Yea it's kinda gross but our "normal flora". The bacteria that live on our body are actually protecting us from infections from more deadly forms of microbes. And in our intestines bacteria provide us with some essential nutrients, so it's a symbiotic relationship

Pathogenic bacteria on the other hand and us are literally in an evolutionary arms race. There's a reason why you need a new flu shot every year.
laugh.gif
 Humans think they run this planet.

Cliffnotes:

sick.gif

Yea it's kinda gross but our "normal flora". The bacteria that live on our body are actually protecting us from infections from more deadly forms of microbes. And in our intestines bacteria provide us with some essential nutrients, so it's a symbiotic relationship

Pathogenic bacteria on the other hand and us are literally in an evolutionary arms race. There's a reason why you need a new flu shot every year.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Fog Raw

I don't believe it because things don't just "come together like that". For an illustration, you can disassemble a gold Rolex wristwatch into its separate parts and place them all in a box. Then, shake the box for however long it takes until all the parts form a wristwatch again.

you are very correct in that it is literally impossible for those parts to come together to form a watch again. but answer this... if you could shake the box for an infinite amount of time, what's the chance that the pieces will assemble into a watch?
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Fog Raw

I don't believe it because things don't just "come together like that". For an illustration, you can disassemble a gold Rolex wristwatch into its separate parts and place them all in a box. Then, shake the box for however long it takes until all the parts form a wristwatch again.

you are very correct in that it is literally impossible for those parts to come together to form a watch again. but answer this... if you could shake the box for an infinite amount of time, what's the chance that the pieces will assemble into a watch?
grin.gif

Cliffnotes:

sick.gif

laugh.gif
What do you see happening to us as we evolve with pathogens being so prevalent? Like what type of evolution will this path lead us down?

Cliffnotes:

sick.gif

laugh.gif
What do you see happening to us as we evolve with pathogens being so prevalent? Like what type of evolution will this path lead us down?

Cliffnotes:

sick.gif

laugh.gif

This is an interesting question because differences in "hygenic conditions" may be the biggest variant of human environmental stressors that could lead to genetic change and possible divergent evolution. The problem is there are very few isolated human populations in the world for this to be possible.

Using malaria as an example we have evidence of the strongly determinant effects of pathogens on our evolution. The sickle cell trait evolved as a defense to malaria . Who else knows how else our genes are changing overtime in response to our other prominent microscopic foes (Eg. the H.I.V. virus). There will eventually be a subset of populations, most likely in places where the affliction is endemic (Africa), that will be resistant to the virus. I suspect this resistance would come with dire consequences as did the sickle cell trait (probably congenital immuno-insufficency).

Cliffnotes:

sick.gif

laugh.gif

This is an interesting question because differences in "hygenic conditions" may be the biggest variant of human environmental stressors that could lead to genetic change and possible divergent evolution. The problem is there are very few isolated human populations in the world for this to be possible.

Using malaria as an example we have evidence of the strongly determinant effects of pathogens on our evolution. The sickle cell trait evolved as a defense to malaria . Who else knows how else our genes are changing overtime in response to our other prominent microscopic foes (Eg. the H.I.V. virus). There will eventually be a subset of populations, most likely in places where the affliction is endemic (Africa), that will be resistant to the virus. I suspect this resistance would come with dire consequences as did the sickle cell trait (probably congenital immuno-insufficency).

Evolution is not a "belief", it can be proven, and if you can physically observe something with your own eyes, it exists. Just look at the way bacteria evolve. Even viruses, which are just nucleic acid wrapped in protein, can change in a way that can be called evolution. Saying evolution doesn't exist is like saying gravity doesn't exist.

Evolution is not a "belief", it can be proven, and if you can physically observe something with your own eyes, it exists. Just look at the way bacteria evolve. Even viruses, which are just nucleic acid wrapped in protein, can change in a way that can be called evolution. Saying evolution doesn't exist is like saying gravity doesn't exist.

There was this one girl in a lot of my science courses that was pre-med and SMART AS HELL. She set the curve on almost everything.

...but she was so religious she said she didn't believe in evolution.

I was so confused
30t6p3b.gif

There was this one girl in a lot of my science courses that was pre-med and SMART AS HELL. She set the curve on almost everything.

...but she was so religious she said she didn't believe in evolution.

I was so confused
30t6p3b.gif

I do not even know how people dismiss evolution but then are so quick to believe religious stories about a man receiving revelations from the divine,he can walk on water,heal leprosy with his hands,and was born from a virgin and is amongst the great prophets bringing God's message to humankind and that these religions explain how we came to be and our cosmology. We even look so much like apes and share about 99 percent of the DNA. That to me is more believable than religious stories claiming they are the truth when they are as close to the truth as Aesop's fables.

I do not even know how people dismiss evolution but then are so quick to believe religious stories about a man receiving revelations from the divine,he can walk on water,heal leprosy with his hands,and was born from a virgin and is amongst the great prophets bringing God's message to humankind and that these religions explain how we came to be and our cosmology. We even look so much like apes and share about 99 percent of the DNA. That to me is more believable than religious stories claiming they are the truth when they are as close to the truth as Aesop's fables.

All living things evolve, the planet is evolving. If we do not evolve and adapt, we die, period. Anyone who is in denial of this, really needs to explain their position in a clear and concise manner, if that is even possible.

Back
Top Bottom