Anyone on here been falsely accused of going through EZ-Pass without paying? Updated with evidence

I use the PA turnpike every day to and from work. I always pay cash and go through the cash lanes. The other day, I receive a bill for $55 in the mail saying that I went through an EZ-Pass lane and did not pay the toll. They sent a picture of the back of my car showing just the very rear and the license plate. I went ahead and reviewed the notice and it showed the lane that I went through on toll booth. I called the turnpike and spoke to the person at the very location that I was accused of not paying the toll. I asked him whether this lane was a cash lane or an EZ-Pass lane. He said it was a cash lane unless it is shut-down for EZ-pass only when the toll workers go on break. (this "violation" occurred at 8am during rush hour)

Cliff Notes:
Went through toll booth paid cash toll of $2
Receive notice of violation for not paying toll for $55 ($30 max PA turnpike toll +$25 admin fee)
Call turnpike and ask if the lane was a cash or toll lane, the turnpike says its always a cash lane unless the workers go on break.

That's unbelievable.. never happened to me but I hope you can get it cleared up man

Yea, it's pretty crazy. I take the turnpike every day, so I go through the same cash lane like every day. The PA turnpike also doesn't switch lanes around like some bridges do and stuff like when I'm driving to Maryland on 95. It's always the same designated lanes for cash and EZ-Pass every day on the turnpike.

I don't mind even paying the toll over again or even $10, but $55 is crazy.

I take it you don't ask for a receipt each day...

*Time to cop the transponder and put it on your windshield. It can help you save time, money and potentially headaches like this.

I take it you don't ask for a receipt each day...

*Time to cop the transponder and put it on your windshield. It can help you save time, money and potentially headaches like this.

I will do so from now on. I would have to keep a month's worth of receipts too. The violation was on 12/3/12 but I just got the notice this past Saturday.

I just cop the EZ pass. I hate constantly having to break bills for change so I can pay the toll, and I don't want to be that guy holding everyone up waiting for change.

If you had a receipt you could have submitted it as proof and could have gotten the violation dismissed. I work at the ezpass center in ny and get calls like this all the time. I never understand how this happens and most people never get the receipt so they gotta take the L and pay the toll again. You should have an option of paying the toll and dispute the fee and they can do a review. I know thats how it is at my job.

Hate that damn Turnpike. I actually went through it one night when it was raining bad. Never got a ticket. #Woo

If you had a receipt you could have submitted it as proof and could have gotten the violation dismissed. I work at the ezpass center in ny and get calls like this all the time. I never understand how this happens and most people never get the receipt so they gotta take the L and pay the toll again. You should have an option of paying the toll and dispute the fee and they can do a review. I know thats how it is at my job.

That's interesting that it seems to happen all the time. This is a big deal when a $1 or $2 toll becomes a $55 violation like on the turnpike. It's one thing to just have to repay the toll in NY, but a $55 bill is wild.

Last edited:
I love taking the turnpike because I can go anywhere in the state QUICK. But it's stupid expensive. Cost me almost $10 to go from Ft. Washington (Right outside Philly) to Harrisburg. I pay more in tolls to get there than gas. 

If you use it frequently, I would def. invest in an EZPass. Saves you a few bucks and you have no need to always carry cash on you

$2 toll though, all the tolls are $5 out here. :x

and our version of EZ Pass doesn't save you ANY money.

Damn nah its one way, that would be outrageous. Guess its not much of a difference then.

$2 toll though, all the tolls are $5 out here. :x

and our version of EZ Pass doesn't save you ANY money.

Is it $5 each way? The turnpike is each way.

yall still havent figured out that you could just double the the toll one way so that the traffic in the opposite direction won't have to slow down to pay for toll? :lol:

The PA turnpike isn't like a bridge. People would just take the turnpike in the free direction and take backroads when they need to go the opposite toll paying direction.

You pay toll depending on how far you travel. To get across the state (Philly to Pitt) is about $26

Update: I filed the appeal they dismissed the violation.

The fact that this can happen is still concerning though. What if you aren't from the area and can't take pictures and interview the toll collector like I was able to.

Last edited:
Update: I filed the appeal they dismissed the violation.

The fact that this can happen is still concerning though. What if you aren't from the area and can't take pictures and interview the toll collector like I was able to.
Well, that was easy
laugh.gif
.  Sucks that they accused you of not paying, but at least it wasn't a painful process.  In California, our version of EZ Pass is called Fast Trak, and I just use that instead of paying cash each time.  Like others have said, you should look into it if it becomes a problem because even if I go through and it doesn't register, they have my license plate on file, so they just charge it anyway...

Son held up the lane to get the info, good deal OP

I had a Cruise card and my ex cancelled it without me knowing and they caught me going through 3 times. Got a ticket for $75 but my ex had it taken care of and paid $15 for all of it

$1.50 turning into $75 :smh:

Back
Top Bottom