Anyone running Ubuntu?

I have a old machine at home that's just sitting there collecting dust. I think I might put Ubuntu on there.
Question though what's the difference between Linux and Ubuntu? Are both of them seperate OSes or if you have Ubuntu you have Linux or vice versa

I have a old machine at home that's just sitting there collecting dust. I think I might put Ubuntu on there.
Question though what's the difference between Linux and Ubuntu? Are both of them seperate OSes or if you have Ubuntu you have Linux or vice versa

Go for it, I put it on my older desktop and it's great. Easy to use, comes preloaded with everything you need, no real complaints by me.

Go for it, I put it on my older desktop and it's great. Easy to use, comes preloaded with everything you need, no real complaints by me.

laugh.gif
do you watch the IT crowd? if not carry on like I didn't say anything
but okay, thanks. I'll use this thread to post any problems I run into

laugh.gif
do you watch the IT crowd? if not carry on like I didn't say anything
but okay, thanks. I'll use this thread to post any problems I run into

ubuntu=linux.
ive been running it on my pc for like two months now as my primary os and i prefer it more than windows xp(which is what i was using before).
It has everything you need preinstalled (openoffice, firefox, etc) and many programs can be added for free using the ubuntu software center.

I recommend you burn a live cd first, try it on your computer, and if you like it, install it too the hard drive

ubuntu=linux.
ive been running it on my pc for like two months now as my primary os and i prefer it more than windows xp(which is what i was using before).
It has everything you need preinstalled (openoffice, firefox, etc) and many programs can be added for free using the ubuntu software center.

I recommend you burn a live cd first, try it on your computer, and if you like it, install it too the hard drive

Linux (kernal) has different os and Ubuntu is one of them just like Windows has xp or 7.
I partitioned my drive so i'm running both Ubuntua and 7.

Linux (kernal) has different os and Ubuntu is one of them just like Windows has xp or 7.
I partitioned my drive so i'm running both Ubuntua and 7.

Basically, Linux is the family of operating systems using the Linux kernel. Ubuntu is one of the OS's along with others such as Fedora and Red Hat.

If you install any of these, you will be running Linux.

Basically, Linux is the family of operating systems using the Linux kernel. Ubuntu is one of the OS's along with others such as Fedora and Red Hat.

If you install any of these, you will be running Linux.

my computer at work wont let me get to the Ubuntu site.
What are the minimum requirements, the computer I'm putting it on is pretty weak I can't put Windows 7 on it.
It's still running Windows XP. I can't remember the specs or model

What are the minimum requirements, the computer I'm putting it on is pretty weak I can't put Windows 7 on it.

Im on ubuntu right now. Everything that's been said here is true. as far as productivity apps, it has everything for free from the software center (kinda like an app store). If you do web development or programming, a lot of IDEs download easy as well.

Im on ubuntu right now. Everything that's been said here is true. as far as productivity apps, it has everything for free from the software center (kinda like an app store). If you do web development or programming, a lot of IDEs download easy as well.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

The Recommended Minimum System Requirements, here, should allow even an inexperienced user to easily install a usable system with enough room to be comfortable. A good "rule of thumb" is that machines that could run Xp, Vista, Win7 or x86 OS X will almost always be a lot faster with Ubuntu. Simply try Ubuntu Cd as a LiveCd first to check the hardware works.
[h2]Ubuntu Desktop Edition[/h2]
  • 1 GHz x86 processor
  • 1 Gb of system memory (RAM)
  • 15 GB of hard-drive space (although this can be split onto 2 drives, a 5Gb / and a 10Gb /home fairly easily)
  • Graphics card and monitor capable of 1024 by 768
  • Either a Cd/Dvd-drive or a Usb socket (or both)

• Internet access is helpful

Originally Posted by omgitswes

The Recommended Minimum System Requirements, here, should allow even an inexperienced user to easily install a usable system with enough room to be comfortable. A good "rule of thumb" is that machines that could run Xp, Vista, Win7 or x86 OS X will almost always be a lot faster with Ubuntu. Simply try Ubuntu Cd as a LiveCd first to check the hardware works.
[h2]Ubuntu Desktop Edition[/h2]
  • 1 GHz x86 processor
  • 1 Gb of system memory (RAM)
  • 15 GB of hard-drive space (although this can be split onto 2 drives, a 5Gb / and a 10Gb /home fairly easily)
  • Graphics card and monitor capable of 1024 by 768
  • Either a Cd/Dvd-drive or a Usb socket (or both)

• Internet access is helpful

So it only has 256mb of RAM......should I still try to give it a shot?
I knew it was weak but didn't think it was that weak. goodness my crap laptop has 4GB

Back
Top Bottom