Anyone trying to become a doctor

Originally Posted by rashi

I'm a Physician's Assistant and I make more money than a lot of Doctor's, went to school in a lot less time, and without the BS they deal with.

possibly considering how much PCPs make and how much a glorified PA can make.

at the end of the day though, they're MD and you're PA. not trying to judge but that's how people look at it.

props to you tho for making that chedda!

Originally Posted by ScottyHoward42

There's a huge difference between a medical assistant (who your mom is paying 10$ an hr Bc it's a tech school degree) and the man who said he's a PA who can easily make 80/90gs Straight out of PA school (2 years post bacc)

damn...well they definitely make more than residents thats for sure
roll.gif

There's a huge difference between a medical assistant (who your mom is paying 10$ an hr Bc it's a tech school degree) and the man who said he's a PA who can easily make 80/90gs Straight out of PA school (2 years post bacc)

roll.gif

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

I'm a Physician's Assistant and I make more money than a lot of Doctor's, went to school in a lot less time, and without the BS they deal with.

at the end of the day though, they're MD and you're PA. not trying to judge but that's how people look at it.

People are the bane of society.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

in a nutshell

in a nutshell

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

roll.gif

What % of doctors make less than 6 figures? I find it hard to believe that the assistant makes more than than the primary. "A lot of doctors" = 4 in Montana? 
nerd.gif

roll.gif

What % of doctors make less than 6 figures? I find it hard to believe that the assistant makes more than than the primary. "A lot of doctors" = 4 in Montana? 
nerd.gif

People are society

People are society

i did once, but changed my mind due to the time and money it will take for me to finish it..

i did once, but changed my mind due to the time and money it will take for me to finish it..

I mean I agree for all the work/time they put in doctors don't make that much....but I'm not buying that you make more than a lot of doctors.

My mom pays her assistant like 10 bucks an hr. Where do you work? hook a brother up
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
I'm not a Medical Assistant, bro. 

I got a DScPA, I didn't go to some vocational school.
laugh.gif
  I prescribe Rx's and have a surgical specialty in orthopaedics.

I have a Doctorate, but I don't need the MD title. I could of went that route, I scored really well on my MCATS. I just didn't think it was a good option for me.

I mean I agree for all the work/time they put in doctors don't make that much....but I'm not buying that you make more than a lot of doctors.

My mom pays her assistant like 10 bucks an hr. Where do you work? hook a brother up
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
I'm not a Medical Assistant, bro. 

I got a DScPA, I didn't go to some vocational school.
laugh.gif
  I prescribe Rx's and have a surgical specialty in orthopaedics.

I have a Doctorate, but I don't need the MD title. I could of went that route, I scored really well on my MCATS. I just didn't think it was a good option for me.

With the way health care reform is playing out there's very little money to be had in medicine anymore. True, the more competitive the speciality you get into the higher the pay will be, but the level of income is nowhere close to what the top end was 10-15 years ago. There's also the insane amount of stress you have to deal with on your way towards getting that degree that will really test your mettle. MS1 and MS2 are the years you spend studying hardcore trying to absorb as much as possible before you take your Step 1 at the end of your second year that will basically determine what specialty you can get into. Then you have the dreaded MS3 year, where they put you through the wringer with long days at the hospital, frequent presentations, and shelf exams after every rotation. Tack on your Step 2 after your 3rd year and you're pretty much going all out until just before your 4th year. Comparatively, 4th year is supposed to be easier (I say supposed to because I'm not there yet and I can't validate it for myself), but at that point you have to deal with the residency application process (if you're looking for a competitive residency you're looking at 30+ applications) and then traveling everywhere to interview. Finally, you find yourself dealing with the stress of Match Day, hoping you match into a residency you wanted. And this is all before residency/fellowship, which if you're trying to get into a field like surgery you're easily looking at another 6 years before you start making "bank". If you take an average med school tuition of $50,000 a year, you're $200,000 in the hole and you have to start paying it back in residency, where you'll be making $40,000 trying to make ends meet.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE what I'm doing, but I'm definitely not here for the money. If you want to pursue a career in medicine, make sure your motivations for pursuing it are strong. I've had classmates drop out cause they were there because of family pressure or they believed they'd be making a lot of money, only to be unable to cope with the stress of it all.

For me, I was an electrical engineer major in undergrad and took an anatomy course on a whim, fell in love with it, and changed my career path. I would suggest you take an anatomy course and a med. phys. course to see if a)it is a subject that interests you and b)you can handle the material. In the end, it's all going to come down to you and how you feel about it. Those courses will help you figure that out.

With the way health care reform is playing out there's very little money to be had in medicine anymore. True, the more competitive the speciality you get into the higher the pay will be, but the level of income is nowhere close to what the top end was 10-15 years ago. There's also the insane amount of stress you have to deal with on your way towards getting that degree that will really test your mettle. MS1 and MS2 are the years you spend studying hardcore trying to absorb as much as possible before you take your Step 1 at the end of your second year that will basically determine what specialty you can get into. Then you have the dreaded MS3 year, where they put you through the wringer with long days at the hospital, frequent presentations, and shelf exams after every rotation. Tack on your Step 2 after your 3rd year and you're pretty much going all out until just before your 4th year. Comparatively, 4th year is supposed to be easier (I say supposed to because I'm not there yet and I can't validate it for myself), but at that point you have to deal with the residency application process (if you're looking for a competitive residency you're looking at 30+ applications) and then traveling everywhere to interview. Finally, you find yourself dealing with the stress of Match Day, hoping you match into a residency you wanted. And this is all before residency/fellowship, which if you're trying to get into a field like surgery you're easily looking at another 6 years before you start making "bank". If you take an average med school tuition of $50,000 a year, you're $200,000 in the hole and you have to start paying it back in residency, where you'll be making $40,000 trying to make ends meet.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE what I'm doing, but I'm definitely not here for the money. If you want to pursue a career in medicine, make sure your motivations for pursuing it are strong. I've had classmates drop out cause they were there because of family pressure or they believed they'd be making a lot of money, only to be unable to cope with the stress of it all.

For me, I was an electrical engineer major in undergrad and took an anatomy course on a whim, fell in love with it, and changed my career path. I would suggest you take an anatomy course and a med. phys. course to see if a)it is a subject that interests you and b)you can handle the material. In the end, it's all going to come down to you and how you feel about it. Those courses will help you figure that out.

Back
Top Bottom