Anyone trying to become a doctor

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

I never really saw the point of being a PA. You're nothing more than the doctor's minion. If you're already planning on going down that road, why not put in a little more effort and have "MD" next to your name. 
Because in the short term, PA > MD.

Less debt, if any, coming outta school (most likely will accrue some debt though). Start your career faster and younger (assuming you went straight).

Make money faster.

More time for yourself/family...etc as PA programs are often 2+ years after your Bachelors, whereas an MD is 4+ years excluding residencies and all that other stuff.

Of course, this is in the short run. In the long run, an MD will gain all these benefits on top of higher pay (potentially) depending on the field they choose to specialize in.
Yeah, but you usually don't go into medicine for a short term job. You go into it for a career. Don't get me wrong, PA's have their place and are a great position, but this is one thing I've seen that's common. Lots of DC's and PA's tend to feel limited after a little while. They don't have the power to fully treat their patients the way they want to. Chiropractors can't prescribe medicine. PA's don't have the freedom of an MD. You can't own your own practice as a PA. Lots of them will eventually testify that if they could redo it, they'd do MD or DO.

Going for my RN, then CRNA.
Considered Anesthesiologist but I need more time in my youth honestly.

I saw this earlier today, regarding med school and anesthesiology
1) You've probably already started too late. You need to kill the SAT's and get into a top 25 undergrad program somewhere. So, if you're under 1300 aggregate right now, you gotta tell your friends you can't hang with them next weekend because you're working on getting your score up at Sylvan. Start pimping the teachers in school who'll sponsor you for a spot in NHS, if you aren't already in it... (another leg down, I might add).

2) Next, get into college and go pre-med with a Biochem or P Chem major. Sure, you can do Biology, but you better shine brighter than Jesus on Easter if you want to get into a competitive med school. Now, don't party on the weekends... okay, maybe once a month or so and after exams... and study, study, study. Give up the best four years of your life to ensure that you get an "A" in all of your undergrad pre-reqs. Whatever you do, don't f-up 2nd semester Organic Chemistry. First semester ain't that hard. If you get anything less than a B+ in second semester, you're going to have a hard time getting into the med school of your choice. And, this is just the first two years of college.

3) Keep busting your $+% in your junior and senior years of college. Remember, you gotta keep that GPA above 3.5 to have a realistic shot at the better programs. And, you better score at least a 32 (or higher) on the MCAT. Oh, the MCAT! That's right. That thing, if you have a bad day, can screw it all up for you. And, don't forget about your extra-curriculars. You know? Volunteering at the homeless shelter, working extra hours shadowing a doc in the local hospital, etc., etc. And, you can't get jealous because some of your friends from home are reporting they're having the time of their lives. Your friends will be co-pre-meds, and they will be the most vicious, back-stabbing, competitive, two-faced people who exist only to make you miserable you've ever met. But, remember, they're your friends. Which, if you think about it, is actually pretty good training for learning how to deal with the type of people who will be future professional colleauges.

4) Apply for school through AMCAS, and fund this by getting in line with all the crack addicts at the local blood bank and selling your plasma. Don't worry, you can do this twice a month and it pays pretty well. You'll realize that, when they take your plasma, they're also probably taking that last little piece of what's left of your soul. That is, the part that you didn't give away while shoving your noise up some a-hole Ivory Tower professor's *@$+ just so he'd give you a good med school recommendation.

5) Now, you're in med school. Think you were miserable before? Be prepared for the hardest two years of your life. You will feel like jumping off of a bridge at certain points because there is no way that anyone can actually expect you to learn the volume of information coming at you in the time it is coming at you. Somehow, you get through it, though. And, now you are faced with the first of the "Steps". You'll spend 6-12 weeks preparing for this, and the next four waiting for your score afterwards in a complete panic that you failed it. Because, you know, so much rides on what you get on that test. You can pass it, but you better at least get a 220 or better, or your probably not going to get your spot at that top tier anesthesia program you've been eyeing since you were sixteen.

6) Third and fourth year teach you about the abuse you're going to take as an intern. Sure, you'll be fresh off learning all of this medical knowledge in the first two years of school and ready to apply it. Problem is, no one will let you because they know that you have no earthly idea how to apply it and, you will soon learn, they are right. Soon, you'll figure out that the first two years of med school were - for all intents and purposes - one big masturbatory session that has little to do with actually practicing medicine.

7) Now, you'll apply to anesthesia residency. You'll waste another huge chunk of money applying to 30 or 40 programs, get tons of interviews, and drag yourself all over the country trying to impress people you don't know and don't really care about all over again. You'll wonder to yourself, "when does this end?" to which someday you'll sadly realize in a moment of brilliant insight, an epiphany if you will, that it never does. You'll Match into a spot, maybe your top choice, after you ride the angst once again.

glasses.gif
Suddenly, you find yourself at age 26 - the prime of your life - in residency. You'll be expected to know and do everything, but you'll quickly realize that you don't really have any authority. You'll be working 90-100 hours (but only allowed to report 80 hours... wink, wink) a week making $38,000/year while your buddy who went to B-school just got promoted to Director of Some Department in a Manhattan business and is now pulling $175k. Your Friday night consists of disimpacting a 89-year-old man's rectum of retained stool. His Friday night consists of partying with a bunch of hotties looking to score a B-school grad and wondering where his doctor buddy is... if only he was there. This goes on for the next four years. It doesn't get better as you progress through residency. You just get more responsibility with the same level of authority: none.

9) Towards the end of your residency, you go on more interviews with people you don't really care about and, somehow everywhere you go you are vaguely reminded of those back-stabbing college "friends" that said to your face "congratulations" when you got accepted to Top Choice School of Medicine, but then discussed how much they hated you when you walked away with their next breaths. Guess what? These are your professional "colleagues" now, AND your future "partners".

So, then there's ...

10) CONGRATULATIONS! Now you're finished college, med school, and residency! You're a board-eligible anesthesiologist! And, you're thirty! You've just given the biggest part of your soul and the best years of your life away to be bombarded by people who think you're "not really a doctor" and battles with midlevels who think they can do your job just as well - if not better - than you can.

Going for my RN, then CRNA.
Considered Anesthesiologist but I need more time in my youth honestly.

I saw this earlier today, regarding med school and anesthesiology
1) You've probably already started too late. You need to kill the SAT's and get into a top 25 undergrad program somewhere. So, if you're under 1300 aggregate right now, you gotta tell your friends you can't hang with them next weekend because you're working on getting your score up at Sylvan. Start pimping the teachers in school who'll sponsor you for a spot in NHS, if you aren't already in it... (another leg down, I might add).

2) Next, get into college and go pre-med with a Biochem or P Chem major. Sure, you can do Biology, but you better shine brighter than Jesus on Easter if you want to get into a competitive med school. Now, don't party on the weekends... okay, maybe once a month or so and after exams... and study, study, study. Give up the best four years of your life to ensure that you get an "A" in all of your undergrad pre-reqs. Whatever you do, don't f-up 2nd semester Organic Chemistry. First semester ain't that hard. If you get anything less than a B+ in second semester, you're going to have a hard time getting into the med school of your choice. And, this is just the first two years of college.

3) Keep busting your $+% in your junior and senior years of college. Remember, you gotta keep that GPA above 3.5 to have a realistic shot at the better programs. And, you better score at least a 32 (or higher) on the MCAT. Oh, the MCAT! That's right. That thing, if you have a bad day, can screw it all up for you. And, don't forget about your extra-curriculars. You know? Volunteering at the homeless shelter, working extra hours shadowing a doc in the local hospital, etc., etc. And, you can't get jealous because some of your friends from home are reporting they're having the time of their lives. Your friends will be co-pre-meds, and they will be the most vicious, back-stabbing, competitive, two-faced people who exist only to make you miserable you've ever met. But, remember, they're your friends. Which, if you think about it, is actually pretty good training for learning how to deal with the type of people who will be future professional colleauges.

4) Apply for school through AMCAS, and fund this by getting in line with all the crack addicts at the local blood bank and selling your plasma. Don't worry, you can do this twice a month and it pays pretty well. You'll realize that, when they take your plasma, they're also probably taking that last little piece of what's left of your soul. That is, the part that you didn't give away while shoving your noise up some a-hole Ivory Tower professor's *@$+ just so he'd give you a good med school recommendation.

5) Now, you're in med school. Think you were miserable before? Be prepared for the hardest two years of your life. You will feel like jumping off of a bridge at certain points because there is no way that anyone can actually expect you to learn the volume of information coming at you in the time it is coming at you. Somehow, you get through it, though. And, now you are faced with the first of the "Steps". You'll spend 6-12 weeks preparing for this, and the next four waiting for your score afterwards in a complete panic that you failed it. Because, you know, so much rides on what you get on that test. You can pass it, but you better at least get a 220 or better, or your probably not going to get your spot at that top tier anesthesia program you've been eyeing since you were sixteen.

6) Third and fourth year teach you about the abuse you're going to take as an intern. Sure, you'll be fresh off learning all of this medical knowledge in the first two years of school and ready to apply it. Problem is, no one will let you because they know that you have no earthly idea how to apply it and, you will soon learn, they are right. Soon, you'll figure out that the first two years of med school were - for all intents and purposes - one big masturbatory session that has little to do with actually practicing medicine.

7) Now, you'll apply to anesthesia residency. You'll waste another huge chunk of money applying to 30 or 40 programs, get tons of interviews, and drag yourself all over the country trying to impress people you don't know and don't really care about all over again. You'll wonder to yourself, "when does this end?" to which someday you'll sadly realize in a moment of brilliant insight, an epiphany if you will, that it never does. You'll Match into a spot, maybe your top choice, after you ride the angst once again.

glasses.gif
Suddenly, you find yourself at age 26 - the prime of your life - in residency. You'll be expected to know and do everything, but you'll quickly realize that you don't really have any authority. You'll be working 90-100 hours (but only allowed to report 80 hours... wink, wink) a week making $38,000/year while your buddy who went to B-school just got promoted to Director of Some Department in a Manhattan business and is now pulling $175k. Your Friday night consists of disimpacting a 89-year-old man's rectum of retained stool. His Friday night consists of partying with a bunch of hotties looking to score a B-school grad and wondering where his doctor buddy is... if only he was there. This goes on for the next four years. It doesn't get better as you progress through residency. You just get more responsibility with the same level of authority: none.

9) Towards the end of your residency, you go on more interviews with people you don't really care about and, somehow everywhere you go you are vaguely reminded of those back-stabbing college "friends" that said to your face "congratulations" when you got accepted to Top Choice School of Medicine, but then discussed how much they hated you when you walked away with their next breaths. Guess what? These are your professional "colleagues" now, AND your future "partners".

So, then there's ...

10) CONGRATULATIONS! Now you're finished college, med school, and residency! You're a board-eligible anesthesiologist! And, you're thirty! You've just given the biggest part of your soul and the best years of your life away to be bombarded by people who think you're "not really a doctor" and battles with midlevels who think they can do your job just as well - if not better - than you can.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

PA's don't have the freedom of an MD. You can't own your own practice as a PA. Lots of them will eventually testify that if they could redo it, they'd do MD or DO.

Yeah we can. We just have to have an MD/DO on staff.

PA's don't have the freedom of an MD. You can't own your own practice as a PA. Lots of them will eventually testify that if they could redo it, they'd do MD or DO.

Yeah we can. We just have to have an MD/DO on staff.

I never really saw the point of being a PA. You're nothing more than the doctor's minion. If you're already planning on going down that road, why not put in a little more effort and have "MD" next to your name. 

Less debt, if any, coming outta school (most likely will accrue some debt though). Start your career faster and younger (assuming you went straight).

Make money faster.

More time for yourself/family...etc as PA programs are often 2+ years after your Bachelors, whereas an MD is 4+ years excluding residencies and all that other stuff.

Of course, this is in the short run. In the long run, an MD will gain all these benefits on top of higher pay (potentially) depending on the field they choose to specialize in.

If this is the case pretty much every job where u make 80-90 grand a year with minimal schooling>>>>>>>MD

Make money faster.

If this is the case pretty much every job where u make 80-90 grand a year with minimal schooling>>>>>>>MD

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Make money faster.

i think PA's argument would be that you are still involved within the medical realm which you are "passionate" about, without the demanding commitment of an MD.

I also heard that PA's are able to switch between concentrations they're involved in without having to go back to school...while MD's have to go back.

Make money faster.

i think PA's argument would be that you are still involved within the medical realm which you are "passionate" about, without the demanding commitment of an MD.

I also heard that PA's are able to switch between concentrations they're involved in without having to go back to school...while MD's have to go back.

Originally Posted by Nikekidwonder

Three00ZeeX wrote:
Originally Posted by LongRange3Ball
roll.gif
comedy since my parents pretty much led me down this path to become a doc... thank God i actually like it

please dont do this just for the money... theres a ton of other legal ways to make more money in a shorter period of time without acquiring so much debt.
im 28, in my second year of residency and am scared to look at my sallie mae loans account... looks like a damn timer the way it keeps increasing.

i truly believe you would be happier doing what you love/making less money than making more being a doc and hating it
Can you please name some ?�
nerd.gif

if all you care about is money, then petroleum engineering would probably be the best out of all majors. only 4 years of school and salary starts around 90k, and mid careers up to 140k.
or go into finance, which is a lot more competitive 

Originally Posted by Nikekidwonder

Three00ZeeX wrote:
Originally Posted by LongRange3Ball
roll.gif
comedy since my parents pretty much led me down this path to become a doc... thank God i actually like it

please dont do this just for the money... theres a ton of other legal ways to make more money in a shorter period of time without acquiring so much debt.
im 28, in my second year of residency and am scared to look at my sallie mae loans account... looks like a damn timer the way it keeps increasing.

i truly believe you would be happier doing what you love/making less money than making more being a doc and hating it
Can you please name some ?�
nerd.gif

if all you care about is money, then petroleum engineering would probably be the best out of all majors. only 4 years of school and salary starts around 90k, and mid careers up to 140k.
or go into finance, which is a lot more competitive 

Originally Posted by blazinRook

Make money faster.

meh, the autonomy and potential for earning is higher with MDs. Most people would not turn down med school to become PAs/RNs.

Residency/ fellowships is "training" I wouldn't refer to it as school-even tho it certainly feels that way but atleast you'll be getting paid and have way more hands on experiences and responsibility that a mere student. When you say "go back to school" you make it seem like they'll have to do med school all over again. It is impossible for a doctor to switch concentrations without getting some kind of training (not sure how PAs can afford to do this but I suppose its a testament to the level to responsibility and knowledge required of PAs).

Not tryna knock PAs at all, its a great job in a great field but it isn't a substitute for MDs. Becoming a doc takes an incredible amount of sacrifice that some people are not willing to make and honestly I don't blame them. Dental is another route one could go if they wanted to avoid a lengthy/rigorous medical training.

Originally Posted by blazinRook

Make money faster.

meh, the autonomy and potential for earning is higher with MDs. Most people would not turn down med school to become PAs/RNs.

Residency/ fellowships is "training" I wouldn't refer to it as school-even tho it certainly feels that way but atleast you'll be getting paid and have way more hands on experiences and responsibility that a mere student. When you say "go back to school" you make it seem like they'll have to do med school all over again. It is impossible for a doctor to switch concentrations without getting some kind of training (not sure how PAs can afford to do this but I suppose its a testament to the level to responsibility and knowledge required of PAs).

Not tryna knock PAs at all, its a great job in a great field but it isn't a substitute for MDs. Becoming a doc takes an incredible amount of sacrifice that some people are not willing to make and honestly I don't blame them. Dental is another route one could go if they wanted to avoid a lengthy/rigorous medical training.

Make money faster.

Yeah, but you usually don't go into medicine for a short term job. You go into it for a career. Don't get me wrong, PA's have their place and are a great position, but this is one thing I've seen that's common. Lots of DC's and PA's tend to feel limited after a little while. They don't have the power to fully treat their patients the way they want to. Chiropractors can't prescribe medicine. PA's don't have the freedom of an MD. You can't own your own practice as a PA. Lots of them will eventually testify that if they could redo it, they'd do MD or DO.

Yes.

But just as well, most people don't venture into PA and DC programs for the short term either.

There are innumerable factors that influence these individuals who pursue these specific careers. I just think that it's silly and quite honestly, disrespectful, to relegate a PA or a DC, or any other non-MD profession that deals with patient care, to a position of inferiority--or as durty pancakes put its, a "minion" position--simply because of some bias, clearly, that you may have surrounding those career fields. Not everyone who gets into the health field wants to be a doctor; not everyone wants to prescribe medicine; not everyone want the full responsibility that an MD takes on. It's just a matter of how you CHOOSE to interpret the situation.

As for those professionals who got fed up with their PC/DC position because of the limitations in position, that's probably in the minority. And frankly, if they feel that way, then clearly they made the mistake when it came down to picking a career.

Yes...if money is your sole reason for getting/wanting the job in the first place, then yes, making 80-90 grand a year with minimal school is >> MD.

Why go through all that schooling, all that stress, accumulate all that debt, spend all those years paying back that debt + interest, when money is all you care about and the betterment of people and the alleviation of pain and/or suffering are the least of your concerns.

An MD is not the end all be all, you know.

I may be at the polar end of the spectrum, but I can understand why a person would choose to care only about money and making it as fast as possible.

Make money faster.

Yes.

But just as well, most people don't venture into PA and DC programs for the short term either.

There are innumerable factors that influence these individuals who pursue these specific careers. I just think that it's silly and quite honestly, disrespectful, to relegate a PA or a DC, or any other non-MD profession that deals with patient care, to a position of inferiority--or as durty pancakes put its, a "minion" position--simply because of some bias, clearly, that you may have surrounding those career fields. Not everyone who gets into the health field wants to be a doctor; not everyone wants to prescribe medicine; not everyone want the full responsibility that an MD takes on. It's just a matter of how you CHOOSE to interpret the situation.

As for those professionals who got fed up with their PC/DC position because of the limitations in position, that's probably in the minority. And frankly, if they feel that way, then clearly they made the mistake when it came down to picking a career.

Yes...if money is your sole reason for getting/wanting the job in the first place, then yes, making 80-90 grand a year with minimal school is >> MD.

Why go through all that schooling, all that stress, accumulate all that debt, spend all those years paying back that debt + interest, when money is all you care about and the betterment of people and the alleviation of pain and/or suffering are the least of your concerns.

An MD is not the end all be all, you know.

I may be at the polar end of the spectrum, but I can understand why a person would choose to care only about money and making it as fast as possible.

There are other high paying jobs. Someone mentioned Petroleum Engineering. The average starting salary for a college grad with 4 year degree is $95,000. The median salary is about $150,000. That's balling

There are other high paying jobs. Someone mentioned Petroleum Engineering. The average starting salary for a college grad with 4 year degree is $95,000. The median salary is about $150,000. That's balling

Im in between my third and fourth year of med school and if you want to be a doctor for the money, you should definitely do something else. You can make better money doing other things and probably working less

Im in between my third and fourth year of med school and if you want to be a doctor for the money, you should definitely do something else. You can make better money doing other things and probably working less

I'm trying to get into Pharmacy school, but plan B is getting my masters in chemical engineering or biochemistry. Either way I'm happy

I'm trying to get into Pharmacy school, but plan B is getting my masters in chemical engineering or biochemistry. Either way I'm happy

Originally Posted by DEMIZE

^^true, but all this bs about choose something youll be happy with....
Money ain't gonna guarantee you happiness. Real talk, who knows if you're even cut out to be a doctor...they go through a whole bunch of !#+@. Go do pre-med and let us know how that works out. I was pretty much on track to do physical therapy but the unhappiness and lack of interest I have in the classes is not enough to keep me in this field...boutta do something else soon.

Originally Posted by DEMIZE

^^true, but all this bs about choose something youll be happy with....
Money ain't gonna guarantee you happiness. Real talk, who knows if you're even cut out to be a doctor...they go through a whole bunch of !#+@. Go do pre-med and let us know how that works out. I was pretty much on track to do physical therapy but the unhappiness and lack of interest I have in the classes is not enough to keep me in this field...boutta do something else soon.

Back
Top Bottom