Are we really going to let this go? Overturning a backcourt violation. VOL: Kevin Durant.

So uh, how was this allowed?

The ball is in-bounded.
Kevin Durant tiptoes along the half-court line, whether he establishes possession or not isn't relevant because...
They called a backcourt violation.

And then they overturned it?

And just allowed OKC to in-bound the ball again, and KD scores a pivotal two points?

Wait what?
eek.gif

Maybe I'm just the only one, maybe I'm just not that familiar with the rules, but how in the hell do you call a violation like that, and overturn it?

It'd be like calling a foul on someone, saying whoops my bad, and then just resetting the clock and put the ball back in play.

I'm not that mad, I'm not at all, but if that happened to my team? In an elimination game? In the fourth quarter with less than two remaining? I'd be heated.

It's not the first time the Nuggets got screwed out of a call late in a game either (Game 1).

So am I just missing something, or was this MAD sketchy?

So uh, how was this allowed?

The ball is in-bounded.
Kevin Durant tiptoes along the half-court line, whether he establishes possession or not isn't relevant because...
They called a backcourt violation.

And then they overturned it?

And just allowed OKC to in-bound the ball again, and KD scores a pivotal two points?

Wait what?
eek.gif

Maybe I'm just the only one, maybe I'm just not that familiar with the rules, but how in the hell do you call a violation like that, and overturn it?

It'd be like calling a foul on someone, saying whoops my bad, and then just resetting the clock and put the ball back in play.

I'm not that mad, I'm not at all, but if that happened to my team? In an elimination game? In the fourth quarter with less than two remaining? I'd be heated.

It's not the first time the Nuggets got screwed out of a call late in a game either (Game 1).

So am I just missing something, or was this MAD sketchy?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw the ref who first called it in perfect position, and then some other ref way out of his zone overturned it? And they still got it wrong on replay?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw the ref who first called it in perfect position, and then some other ref way out of his zone overturned it? And they still got it wrong on replay?

Originally Posted by ill be rite bak

The ref in the back-court (@ The Half-court line) called the backcourt.

I don't even know if they reviewed it, I thought they just huddled.

If they reviewed it, it'd make a little more sense, I didn't know it was reviewable.

they didnt replay it. the ref closest to the line made the call but the other ref came and corrected him on the rule or something like that. they got it right.

they didnt replay it. the ref closest to the line made the call but the other ref came and corrected him on the rule or something like that. they got it right.

If they reviewed it, it'd make a little more sense, I didn't know it was reviewable.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

Okay that makes more sense. But like JA said what's the rule again?

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

Okay that makes more sense. But like JA said what's the rule again?

If you inbound the ball in your opponents basket (the basket you're trying to score into), on their side of the half-court line, are you allowed to go into the backcourt?

I thought you had to be on your own basket if you want to throw it into the backcourt?

I thought there was a situation where you still can't throw into your own backcourt?

Maybe I'm wrong.

But still, once a call is made, play is stopped, I just find it mad sketchy that you can overturn it and just in-bound the ball again. Right call or not.

None of these calls even faze me too much, after the end of Bos-NY Gm1.

I get the correction, but you gotta be truly beloved to get that and KD is.

None of these calls even faze me too much, after the end of Bos-NY Gm1.

I get the correction, but you gotta be truly beloved to get that and KD is.

If you inbound the ball in your opponents basket (the basket you're trying to score into), on their side of the half-court line, are you allowed to go into the backcourt?

I thought you had to be on your own basket if you want to throw it into the backcourt?

I thought there was a situation where you still can't throw into your own backcourt?

Maybe I'm wrong.

But still, once a call is made, play is stopped, I just find it mad sketchy that you can overturn it and just in-bound the ball again. Right call or not.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

How would it make more sense if they did review it (I am not familiar with what is reviewable in the NBA)?  Referees/Umpires huddle up all the time to talk about calls to get them right. 

How would it make more sense if they did review it (I am not familiar with what is reviewable in the NBA)?  Referees/Umpires huddle up all the time to talk about calls to get them right. 

Originally Posted by dland24

I meant review it by video.

Originally Posted by dland24

I meant review it by video.

Horrible call. Charles was right when talking about this on TNT last night as well. How the hell did the ref who was the farthest overturn the call?

Stern was probably in their ear piece or somethin

Horrible call. Charles was right when talking about this on TNT last night as well. How the hell did the ref who was the farthest overturn the call?

Stern was probably in their ear piece or somethin

the first time he stepped on the line it wasn't backcourt (since he had yet to establish himself in the 'frontcourt').. the 2nd time yes..

the ref called the backcourt on the 1st touch, right?

rule:
c. A ball being held by a player: (1) is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt, (2) is in the backcourt if either the ball or player is touching the backcourt.
d. A ball being dribbled is (1) in the frontcourt when the ball and both feet of the player are in the frontcourt, (2) in the backcourt if the ball or either foot of the player is in the backcourt.
e. The ball is considered in the frontcourt once it has broken the plane of the midcourt line and is not in player control.

source:
http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_4.html

I have no idea how they overturned it, but it wasn't a backcourt, his foot never crossed the line

the first time he stepped on the line it wasn't backcourt (since he had yet to establish himself in the 'frontcourt').. the 2nd time yes..

the ref called the backcourt on the 1st touch, right?

rule:
c. A ball being held by a player: (1) is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt, (2) is in the backcourt if either the ball or player is touching the backcourt.
d. A ball being dribbled is (1) in the frontcourt when the ball and both feet of the player are in the frontcourt, (2) in the backcourt if the ball or either foot of the player is in the backcourt.
e. The ball is considered in the frontcourt once it has broken the plane of the midcourt line and is not in player control.

source:
http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_4.html

I have no idea how they overturned it, but it wasn't a backcourt, his foot never crossed the line

Back
Top Bottom