Are you an Atheist? What Promted Your Choice?

^^^^what?
roll.gif
well that convo is over.

url

Agnostic FTW. I just don't know. %+! it. I just can't put my hopes and faith in something i can't see

Agnostic FTW. I just don't know. %+! it. I just can't put my hopes and faith in something i can't see

I grew up as a Christian for most of my life. After having so many unanswered questions and unraveling the many flaws persistent in Christian beliefs, I could no longer convince myself that the Christian god existed. Once you understand the implications of Christian teachings, it becomes apparent that the Bible disproves itself. I think the problem is that people aren't willing to think about it and rely on faith as a crutch because they are too afraid to accept that their beliefs are not true.

I grew up as a Christian for most of my life. After having so many unanswered questions and unraveling the many flaws persistent in Christian beliefs, I could no longer convince myself that the Christian god existed. Once you understand the implications of Christian teachings, it becomes apparent that the Bible disproves itself. I think the problem is that people aren't willing to think about it and rely on faith as a crutch because they are too afraid to accept that their beliefs are not true.

Atheist and a lot of theists just see things in black and white.

Because if your only reason for not believing in a God is because of your delayed realism to the "fairy tales" taught to you in some religions well that puts you in the same room as those who only believe in God because of the fairy tales taught to them.

The idea of God is more complex than that. thats why most great minds tend to be agnostic. because no rational mind can believe all of what these religions teach and at the same time no rational mind can deny that a creator is impossible.

The idea that there is a point in time at which the universe began to exist. Is mind boggling. The beginning must either have been caused or uncaused. It cannot have been uncaused and thats what keeps agnostics and people with no religious affiliation unwilling to commit to atheistic views.

And no I dont believe a man with sandals and a beard created the universe(s) but that doesn't make me an atheist either.

And I understand how claiming to be atheist can help boost ones ego. Nothing can empower someone's psyche more than to deny an ultimate authority. Especially for people going to work or school everyday being controlled by authoritative figures. Pardon my human psychology
smile.gif

Because if your only reason for not believing in a God is because of your delayed realism to the "fairy tales" taught to you in some religions well that puts you in the same room as those who only believe in God because of the fairy tales taught to them.

The idea of God is more complex than that. thats why most great minds tend to be agnostic. because no rational mind can believe all of what these religions teach and at the same time no rational mind can deny that a creator is impossible.

The idea that there is a point in time at which the universe began to exist. Is mind boggling. The beginning must either have been caused or uncaused. It cannot have been uncaused and thats what keeps agnostics and people with no religious affiliation unwilling to commit to atheistic views.

And no I dont believe a man with sandals and a beard created the universe(s) but that doesn't make me an atheist either.

And I understand how claiming to be atheist can help boost ones ego. Nothing can empower someone's psyche more than to deny an ultimate authority. Especially for people going to work or school everyday being controlled by authoritative figures. Pardon my human psychology
smile.gif

Originally Posted by cartune

smile.gif

No, claiming my love for our creator, God, boosts my ego.
smile.gif

smile.gif

No, claiming my love for our creator, God, boosts my ego.
smile.gif

smile.gif

Not even Richard Dawkins would say that the idea of a higher being is impossible...

But the chances of any God existing is exactly the same as the chances that Zeus or Thor exists.  I can't say to 100% certainty, but it's pretty much 99.99% that none actually exist.

Am I closer to the agnostic or atheistic view?  I'd say atheist because can anyone know anything to 100% certainty?    No one really "knows" anything then.  Everything you "know" is really a belief if you want to think of it that way.

smile.gif

Not even Richard Dawkins would say that the idea of a higher being is impossible...

But the chances of any God existing is exactly the same as the chances that Zeus or Thor exists.  I can't say to 100% certainty, but it's pretty much 99.99% that none actually exist.

Am I closer to the agnostic or atheistic view?  I'd say atheist because can anyone know anything to 100% certainty?    No one really "knows" anything then.  Everything you "know" is really a belief if you want to think of it that way.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

The hypocrisy of many religious people doesn't help. I wanna call myself a Christian but I was cheat on my wife, commit fornication and act a fool completely ignoring Jesus' principles. What part of the game is that?
Are you a Satanist? I ask because of your screename.

Depends on what you mean by "Satanism", but according to some Christians if you don't ride with God you might as well be riding with the devil so I adopted this SN in a satirical manner. LaVey is a very interesting fella tho, I do adopt some of his philosophy.
Such as?

The hypocrisy of many religious people doesn't help. I wanna call myself a Christian but I was cheat on my wife, commit fornication and act a fool completely ignoring Jesus' principles. What part of the game is that?

Depends on what you mean by "Satanism", but according to some Christians if you don't ride with God you might as well be riding with the devil so I adopted this SN in a satirical manner. LaVey is a very interesting fella tho, I do adopt some of his philosophy.
Such as?

Such as?

do not harm little children
do not kill animals unless used for food
the immorality and hypocrisy of the church
his emphasis on individualism

Like I said, my sn satire and meant to show someone like this isn't any worse than self-righteous religious folks....but if you wanna know more check out his website. If I had to label myself as anything, it would be "Strict Agnostic" and "Secular Humanitarian"

Such as?

do not harm little children
do not kill animals unless used for food
the immorality and hypocrisy of the church
his emphasis on individualism

Like I said, my sn satire and meant to show someone like this isn't any worse than self-righteous religious folks....but if you wanna know more check out his website. If I had to label myself as anything, it would be "Strict Agnostic" and "Secular Humanitarian"

smile.gif
Concluding that there isn't sufficient evidence to prove whether a god exists or not has nothing to do with boosting one's ego.

smile.gif
Concluding that there isn't sufficient evidence to prove whether a god exists or not has nothing to do with boosting one's ego.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by Stockholm Patriot

Me personally I've reached the point of psychosis where I just can't endure the anguish and restraints that something non-existent (or yet to be seen) has over one's life.
I deal with real life issues, real life problems, real life pain ...It's just preposterous to give control of my life to something that has yet proven to be viable.
People aimlessly limiting themselves to chance and it rules in their favor it's "God" and if it doesn't it's Lucifer. *#*+ that, faith in "God" is mental disease....religion is a
cash cow that exploits the stupid. "Sin", is mental terror for the weak who are scared to explore horizons to obtain knowledge of self.

God doesn't exist
clap23.gif
This.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by Stockholm Patriot

Me personally I've reached the point of psychosis where I just can't endure the anguish and restraints that something non-existent (or yet to be seen) has over one's life.
I deal with real life issues, real life problems, real life pain ...It's just preposterous to give control of my life to something that has yet proven to be viable.
People aimlessly limiting themselves to chance and it rules in their favor it's "God" and if it doesn't it's Lucifer. *#*+ that, faith in "God" is mental disease....religion is a
cash cow that exploits the stupid. "Sin", is mental terror for the weak who are scared to explore horizons to obtain knowledge of self.

God doesn't exist
clap23.gif
This.

30t6p3b.gif
Tired of these blanket statements.

Atheism and agnosticism are not an either or thing. You can be both. I seriously think many of you flippantly using these words do not know the definitions of them and instead of learning what they are have developed your own definitions to separate the two due to bias and ignorance.

Any theist claiming to be a gnostic theist does not need faith and should be able to prove the deity they know is real. Any atheist claiming to be gnostic should be able to prove that any deity/deities do not exist.

30t6p3b.gif
Tired of these blanket statements.

Atheism and agnosticism are not an either or thing. You can be both. I seriously think many of you flippantly using these words do not know the definitions of them and instead of learning what they are have developed your own definitions to separate the two due to bias and ignorance.

Any theist claiming to be a gnostic theist does not need faith and should be able to prove the deity they know is real. Any atheist claiming to be gnostic should be able to prove that any deity/deities do not exist.

Back
Top Bottom