Artists That Changed Their Style Up For The Worst

For me, it would have to be Brian McKnight.

Dude went from this

to this...

Talkin about" let me show you how how your p***y works"   
laugh.gif

Last edited:
When it comes to switching up styles I always refer to Jay-Z " moment of clarity" verse 2 I believe:

The music business hate me
'cause the industry ain't make me
Hustlers and boosters embrace me
And the music I be making
I dumb down for my audience
And double my dollars
They criticize me for it
Yet they all yell "Holla"
If skills sold
Truth be told
I'd probably be
Lyrically
Talib Kweli
Truthfully
I wanna rhyme like Common Sense
(But I did five Mil)
I ain't been rhyming like Common since
When your sense got that much in common
And you been hosteling since
Your inception
**** perception
Go with what makes sense
Since
I know what I'm up against
We as rappers must decide what's most important
And I can't help the poor if I'm one of them
So I got rich and gave back
To me that's the win, win
The next time you see the homie and his rims spin
Just know my mind is working just like them.

Basically saying you can continue to do you and make the kind of music you want, and take whatever success you may get from it or you switch your style and become a superstar. Now it's 2 people I would like to talk about that did this.

Wiz- yea Wiz was an ok Rapper and people might love how he was. But being how he was he never was going to reach the success he has. At first he was just another dude that can rap to me. Now he has his own lane and I really like what' he is doing.

Wayne - I think he just found gold. Around the Carter 2 when was just killing the game. On his way to dropping the Carter 3 and straight shutting **** down. But it got leaked(basically most of the songs on them empire mix tapes)
Now he has to rush and make a whole new album. Tries his hand with lollipop and it blows! Wack song but he struck gold with it. Now he has a choice to make. Make songs like lollipop and sell a mil in a week or Make the Carter 1 and sell 1 mil overall? We all know what he choose and I don't blame home at all. Dude is a Superstar and he never would have become one with songs like BMjr, he just wasnt.

Can't blame these dudes, they want to eat and this is what sells

Rick ross, still a fan but I want more amsterdam less bmf

Wiz & Wayne are without a doubt the worst culprits of this. Granted I still like both of their music but when I go back and listen to Flight School or Kush & OJ and the videos he had for his singles, or when I go back to the Drought series or listen to songs like "I'm Me" I just almost feel sad at what has become of these two. Such a shame man
mean.gif
mean.gif

Yeezy HAS to be mentioned because the music he was making before 808s and Heartbreaks was IMO timeless. Songs like "All Falls Down", "Diamonds From Sierra Leonne", "Jesus Walks", etc. all put him in a different place artistically back then, and now we get songs like "H.A.M." where he feels the need to rap over Lex Luger beats about absolutely nothing.

$$ killed these dudes hunger.

Last edited:
Kanye West Lil Wayne

Its really unfortunate. Kanye not soooo much but i feel its coming soon. Weezy its just undeniable... :smh:

Kanye - Went so far left since Graduation. Even on that album you can tell he was crossing over big time. Never liked Stronger or Can't Tell Me Nothing.

Wiz - Like dude said earlier, go back and listen to Kush & OJ and watch the videos he had for those singles. He was an everyday man, doing things a lot of people can relate to.

Big Sean - I'm going to catch heat for this one, but I don't know how anyone likes that Detroit mixtape over anything he did before it. I though the album and FF 3 were arms lengths a head of Detroit. Now you hear him trying too hard (if that was even possible from before) on trap songs.

Wale - Ya'll know.

^^ Big Sean is definitely someone I forgot to mention. FF3 is HEADS AND SHOULDERS above any work he has done since. Dude is a punch line machine now. Detroit had a few good songs on it, but the majority was trash.

Last edited:
juicy j anyone?

Honestly I wouldn't say so. He's pretty much rapped about the same stuff since the early 90s the only change is he slowed his flow down a bit. Production is a different story, but he's not even producing a lot of his own stuff now, its mostly Lex Luger and Crazy Mike.

I have to say Lil Flip. His early freestyle tapes and his 1st 2 albums were that classic Houston sound, along with him having this real smooth easy going flow. And since like 2006, he's been rapping like this B grade Jeezy/Ross/Wayne fusion, including even using their ad libs. Its a shame too cause I was a huuuuuge fan of his, and feel like I'm forcing myself to listen to his new stuff just to see if there's an ounce of the old Flip left. Ill see the old Flip at the same time ill see Detox, a new Cee-lo and 3K non circus sounding rap album, and anything full length from Jay Electronica.

damn he got worse? he was awful when g-unit first hit he scene. But def kanye for me. loved his first two albums. dudes head got huge. at least jay-z bails him out on some tracks. on a side note 50 is also horrible and has been since after the massacre. heard my life this weekend...em kills it...50 just goin thru the motions with weak as lyrics and no energy. awful

:x people really feel this way?

Eminem
Kanye West (still makes good music but like someone said earlier he's regressed lyrically)

speaking of this thread.  Why is ASAP Rocky dressing like this?  lol with a man purse now? WTF

Eminem
Kanye West (still makes good music but like someone said earlier he's regressed lyrically)
The Crazy thing about Kanye is that he doesn't write most of his lyrics.   He's like Dr. Dre he has several ghost writers.  To me his topics changed.  Kanye is full of himself now.  College Dropout is one of my all time favorite albums because of what he was talking about.  It was classic.  Now all he talks about is himself and how much money he has.   lol it gets old quick.

Kanye all day...this dude went from being a champion of black consciousness to being the precursor to fashion rap. 

50 and Wayne. Both 'em just got lazy as **** after they started really getting paper.

juicy j anyone?

Honestly I wouldn't say so. He's pretty much rapped about the same stuff since the early 90s the only change is he slowed his flow down a bit. Production is a different story, but he's not even producing a lot of his own stuff now, its mostly Lex Luger and Crazy Mike.

I have to say Lil Flip. His early freestyle tapes and his 1st 2 albums were that classic Houston sound, along with him having this real smooth easy going flow. And since like 2006, he's been rapping like this B grade Jeezy/Ross/Wayne fusion, including even using their ad libs. Its a shame too cause I was a huuuuuge fan of his, and feel like I'm forcing myself to listen to his new stuff just to see if there's an ounce of the old Flip left. Ill see the old Flip at the same time ill see Detox, a new Cee-lo and 3K non circus sounding rap album, and anything full length from Jay Electronica.

For real what happened to Flip? Did the T.I. beef hurt his career that much? Dude disappeared so fast

Last edited:
50 and Wayne. Both 'em just got lazy as **** after they started really getting paper.
For real what happened to Flip? Did the T.I. beef hurt his career that much? Dude disappeared so fast
Not sure if true but I remember hearing back in the day that he grew up with money and he wasn't really from the hood and it hurt his rap career.   Only if he would of came out nowadays no one would even care.  lol

When it comes to switching up styles I always refer to Jay-Z " moment of clarity" verse 2 I believe:

Basically saying you can continue to do you and make the kind of music you want, and take whatever success you may get from it or you switch your style and become a superstar. Now it's 2 people I would like to talk about that did this.

Wiz- yea Wiz was an ok Rapper and people might love how he was. But being how he was he never was going to reach the success he has. At first he was just another dude that can rap to me. Now he has his own lane and I really like what' he is doing.

Wayne - I think he just found gold. Around the Carter 2 when was just killing the game. On his way to dropping the Carter 3 and straight shutting **** down. But it got leaked(basically most of the songs on them empire mix tapes)
Now he has to rush and make a whole new album. Tries his hand with lollipop and it blows! Wack song but he struck gold with it. Now he has a choice to make. Make songs like lollipop and sell a mil in a week or Make the Carter 1 and sell 1 mil overall? We all know what he choose and I don't blame home at all. Dude is a Superstar and he never would have become one with songs like BMjr, he just wasnt.

Can't blame these dudes, they want to eat and this is what sells
Truth.

Anyone saying Kanye...did you just completely forget about MBDTF and WTT. Dudes cant come out with a party single anymore??
mean.gif

Cant really defend that GOOD music album tho.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom