Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Followup:
-Didn’t realize “Briones Bedell” is such an Asian name. I’m overwhelmed by her woke bleeding heart on such a monumental issue of our time. You go girl.

https://mobile.twitter.com/brionesbedell

-Suggestion for rebrand names: Trader Joe-san, Senor Trader Joe, Trader Joe 先生, Signore Trader Joe, Trader Joe 씨.

:rolleyes:

what about the fact that Apu was played by a white guy?

I get how its problematic and props to Azaria for stepping away when the issue came up. He was damn good at the voice though and it was a different time. A white man voicing a caricature/stereotype of a PoC doesn't sit right, but IMO Apu himself in context of the show is ok.

That’s an interesting question cause personally feel Voice acting different from Visual acting. Theoretically anyone can play anyone in Voice. But can you find and cast who voice represents. Feel production companies just go for easy choices, those well known in industry.
I came here and went to kindergarten like everyone else so my flat Midwestern no accent would sound fairly whitebread.

I never paid it any mind until i'd read that the writers asked azaria to do it with the most offensive accent possible. idk if there's truth to it. nonetheless, i'll give Azaria props for being able to do the voice overs for multiple simpsons characters. man is skilled

Followup:
-Didn’t realize “Briones Bedell” is such an Asian name. I’m overwhelmed by her woke bleeding heart on such a monumental issue of our time. You go girl.

https://mobile.twitter.com/brionesbedell

-Suggestion for rebrand names: Trader Joe-san, Senor Trader Joe, Trader Joe 先生, Signore Trader Joe, Trader Joe 씨.

:rolleyes:

i dont think they need to rebrand the names for their "ethnic" food. just call it trader joes ________ . why not just normalize the idea that "ethnic" food is just as capable of being American as a hamburger or hotdog?

Indian kids getting bullied using the Apu character is telling of the context the character Apu is in within the broader scheme of American media.

Would Apu or any Indian character of that significance be allowed to exist in American media, especially at that time, if it weren't to be mocked.

If negative characterizations aren't a big deal, then the same should apply to positive characterizations but when it's positive it seems to be a huge deal to networks and creators.

Indian kids getting bullied using the Apu character is telling of the context the character Apu is in within the broader scheme of American media.

Would Apu or any Indian character of that significance be allowed to exist in American media, especially at that time, if it weren't to be mocked.

If negative characterizations aren't a big deal, then the same should apply to positive characterizations but when it's positive it seems to be a huge deal to networks and creators.

IMO Apu isn't being mocked in the show, he just exists as a character. In the same sense that every other character in the show is an exaggeration of some sort. He's a different ethnicity than most/all of the town but no one points it out as an issue either positive or negative (aside from the immigration episode lol). It sucks that those guys got bullied over that but that isn't necessarily the problem with Apu moreso than representation, portrayal in other media and kids being jerks.

Someone like Fez from That 70's Show would be more of an issue IMO, he's actively made fun of and his "otherness" is pointed out constantly. Shoot, it's even his name. Within the context of the show it makes sense I guess.

I hope I'm understanding your argument. I also have to disclaim that I will defend this show to my death lol.

Maybe indian kids just soft.

If other Asian kids gotta deal with ching chong being yelled at us & hearing all Asians look the same then apu stuff is kinda light.

Both of these arguments about Apu and Trader Joe's have a common thread for me which is the lack of diversity at the table. It's easy for white ppl to write about an Indian character and have a white guy do the voice when there isn't an Indian person in the room that they have to face. Imagine how uncomfortable Hank would be if he had to do Apu's voice in the booth while the sound guy was Indian. Just the thought of that being awkward should let ppl know something is wrong.

And I'm pretty sure if there was an Asian person at the Trader Joe's table when naming foods, ppl would think twice before raising their hands saying "how about we name it Trader Ming's?" And even if they did, having an Asian at the table would at least shed some light on the reality of that idea.

It's hard not to take someone into consideration when they're sitting right across from you. But when there's no one there, considerations can easily go out the window.

Maybe indian kids just soft.

If other Asian kids gotta deal with ching chong being yelled at us & hearing all Asians look the same then apu stuff is kinda light.
Soft? Why are you comparing like it's a competition lol. What if an Indian says your soft because C**** C**** is nothing compared to being called a terrorist? Point is, why would anyone have to deal with any of it without saying something? Do you not complain if someone calls you C**** C****? What about when a white guy does an Asian character on tv, does that not offend you also? So if that offends you, then why is it hard to see why Indians would be offended also?

Last edited:
i dont think they need to rebrand the names for their "ethnic" food. just call it trader joes ________ . why not just normalize the idea that "ethnic" food is just as capable of being American as a hamburger or hotdog?

Let’s take what you said and think about the unintended consequences get from “normalize the idea that ethnic food is just as capable of being American as a hamburger or hotdog”.
First you removed any specific ethnic identifier of product. So in effect you have whitewashed the product. For example “kimchi” becomes pickled spicy vegetables, “baozi” becomes stuffed meat/veg bun and “tam mak hoong” becomes papaya salad. Boba/bubble tea becomes just tapioca jelly drink.

Exciting. Just to become Americanized. No. I want the consumer to know product has an origin. Not talking about the Asian American food items.

Soft? Why are you comparing like it's a competition lol. What if an Indian says your soft because C**** C**** is nothing compared to being called a terrorist? Point is, why would anyone have to deal with any of it without saying something? Do you not complain if someone calls you C**** C****? What about when a white guy does an Asian character on tv, does that not offend you also? So if that offends you, then why is it hard to see why Indians would be offended also?
Yeah, they soft. Indians are terrorists now? Maybe that's more associated with Pakistanis.

Yeah, they soft. Indians are terrorists now? Maybe that's more associated with Pakistanis.
lol, can you read? I never said they were terrorist. I said they get CALLED terrorists. Just like c**** c**** is associated with Chinese but ALL asians get called this. You act like racism cares to associate the difference.

But you never answered my question. How do you feel when ppl call you c**** c**** or offend your race? Does it bother you?

You're the one calling them terrorists, get mad at yourself.

It is what it is. Dealt with that stuff in high school and at random times in public.

Different than not liking a cartoon character who has an accent that your people do and a job commonly associated to having. Seems like they're more embarrassed or ashamed than offended. I said it before, it'd be like Filipinos not liking a character with an accent and is a nurse. Don't get mad at reality.

It is what it is. Dealt with that stuff in high school and at random times in public.
Wow, you still didn't answer my question. So, did it bother you? Does it offend you?

Different than not liking a cartoon character who has an accent that your people do and a job commonly associated to having. Seems like they're more embarrassed or ashamed than offended. I said it before, it'd be like Filipinos not liking a character with an accent and is a nurse. Don't get mad at reality.
How does this make you feel? A white guy playing an asian guy? This ok too?
bk_breakfasttiffanysmovieprotest_2011_07_15_bk01_z.jpg

And I'm not the one who thinks of them as terrorist. It's a known fact that white racists lump Indians in with terrorists. I'm from Chicago where there's a huge Indian population. It's happens, even if you want to play ignorant to it

Last edited:
Understand what you are saying about all South Asians getting lumped in with bad elements. That is a legit concern and problem. Not sure cartoon character approaches that level.
Specifically Apu character is not portrayed in a negative stereotype. Comedy works cause there is enough truth to be relatable and real. And I’ve said before: Voice acting different from Visual acting.
Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany’s movie is all the negative stereotypes in one that we all despise. If I didn’t tell someone was Asian American, my voice would be considered regular flat no accent Midwestern whitebread.
There’s a lot of things to be agitated in Life to get all offended by. Cartoon voice and store label pretty low on my Personal list of priorities. And at my age and level in Life, I’ll be dmned if take blatant discrimination from anyone in person.

EOFN4-.gif

Understand what you are saying about all South Asians getting lumped in with bad elements. That is a legit concern and problem. Not sure cartoon character approaches that level.
Specifically Apu character is not portrayed in a negative stereotype. Comedy works cause there is enough truth to be relatable and real. And I’ve said before: Voice acting different from Visual acting.
Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany’s movie is all the negative stereotypes in one that we all despise. If I didn’t tell someone was Asian American, my voice would be considered regular flat no accent Midwestern whitebread.
There’s a lot of things to be agitated in Life to get all offended by. Cartoon voice and store label pretty low on my Personal list of priorities. And at my age and level in Life, I’ll be dmned if take blatant discrimination from anyone in person.

EOFN4-.gif
I see what you're saying. But if Indian ppl are saying the character being voiced by a white person offends them then who are we to say it shouldn't? I mean, do you think it's okay for other races to tell you what you should and shouldn't be offended by? I always found it funny when people of one race use their personal experience to say how people of other races should feel about things.

And I’ve said before: Voice acting different from Visual acting.

Back
Top Bottom