Asian Culture Discussion Thread

I see what you're saying. But if Indian ppl are saying the character being voiced by a white person offends them then who are we to say it shouldn't? I mean, do you think it's okay for other races to tell you what you should and shouldn't be offended by? I always found it funny when people of one race use their personal experience to say how people of other races should feel about things.

Fair point regarding the Apu character. Personally not vested enough to be directly affected. But your next example I take issue.

They’re animals, native to Thailand (Siam). I’m not any of those things. Least of all a person with an accent. Mentioned this multi times. And citing an animal with accent from old Disney Lady and the Tramp movie from 1955 after a 1961 film doesn’t help your cause.
Gone from remake:
“The Siamese Cat Song, long notorious for its depiction of Asian characters as duplicitous and vicious. Variety also reports that the characters are no longer Siamese cats.”

Does the Taco Bell Chihuahua negatively affect Latino people?

I’ve stated multi times who and what I am.
Now I’m curious who and what are you.

Last edited:
They’re animals, native to Thailand (Siam). I’m not any of those things. Least of all a person with an accent. Mentioned this multi times. And citing an animal with accent from old Disney Lady and the Tramp movie from 1955 after a 1961 film doesn’t help your cause.
Gone from remake:
“The Siamese Cat Song, long notorious for its depiction of Asian characters as duplicitous and vicious. Variety also reports that the characters are no longer Siamese cats.”
I might be missing your point here. You said voice over is different from visual acting. That's a voice over role played and written by a white person. So you don't think that cartoon is offensive? I'm not of that race either and I can clearly see it's offensive.

And it's not from Lady and The Tramp

Last edited:
Why the big fuss over Indian specifics?
It's not about any race in particular. It's about any race that gets disrespected for finding something offensive. Because someone saying something like Indians are "soft" for finding Apu offensive and perpetuating that idea is the same as someone coming in here and saying Asians are "soft" for finding our discrepancies offensive. I don't know, I guess it baffles me how someone asian can't see how someone from another race could find something offensive considering we gone through it as well. Is what it is I guess.

I might be missing your point here. You said voice over is different from visual acting. That's a voice over role played and written by a white person. So you don't think that cartoon is offensive? I'm not of that race either and I can clearly see it's offensive.

And it's not from Lady and The Tramp

What are you talking about?
The original Lady and the Tramp movie had the two Siamese cats.

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Si_and_Am

Are we Animals? Did I just not cite the year 1955 for the cartoon? And remake dropped the scene. What year is this? How far back are you willing to go to make your point? Are you even old enough to have seen the original cartoon? I am.
I’m not an Animal, Thai nor have an accent.

Charmin-Ultra-Soft-Mega-hero.png

What are you talking about?
The original Lady and the Tramp movie had the two Siamese cats.

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Si_and_Am

Are we Animals? Did I just not cite the year 1955 for the cartoon? And remake dropped the scene. What year is this? How far back are you willing to go to make your point? Are you even old enough to have seen the original cartoon? I am.
I’m not an Animal, Thai nor have an accent.
It's from the movie The Aristocats in the 70's. Not Lady and The Tramp.

I'm not an animal, Thai, nor have an accent either. Still looks offensive to me. Surprised you don't think so. It's all good man. We'll agree to disagree. At the end of the day, it's just 2 separate opinions.

It's from the movie The Aristocats in the 70's. Not Lady and The Tramp.

I'm not an animal, Thai, nor have an accent either. Still looks offensive to me. Surprised you don't think so. It's all good man. We'll agree to disagree. At the end of the day, it's just 2 separate opinions.

As weird as it sounds, actually have not seen The Aristocats. Ever. Not into cartoon movies. Why didn’t understand your supporting evidence.
Good to clear the misunderstanding.

I do get your point of view and can respect the opinion. Appreciate you able to carry conversation. That’s important to me in this Thread. Can disagree but still be mature civil.

Having actual extended Family members with accent and growing up with few Asian cultural influences, believe that things are better now and will continue to be than before. And trust that I don’t tolerate racial attack in person either. Don’t ever be afraid to flip stuff back.

Yea, my bad if I came off as an *** in here to anyone. No shots intended. I get how Apu's character isn't as bad as others as well. I can concede to that. It's not that offensive to me either. It was more about it being offensive to Indians.

My whole original point was about diversity being at the table. Things are definitely better now then they were before. Every inch forward towards progress is a mile for all minorities.

Let’s take what you said and think about the unintended consequences get from “normalize the idea that ethnic food is just as capable of being American as a hamburger or hotdog”.
First you removed any specific ethnic identifier of product. So in effect you have whitewashed the product. For example “kimchi” becomes pickled spicy vegetables, “baozi” becomes stuffed meat/veg bun and “tam mak hoong” becomes papaya salad. Boba/bubble tea becomes just tapioca jelly drink.

Exciting. Just to become Americanized. No. I want the consumer to know product has an origin. Not talking about the Asian American food items.

no one's advocating that they go from bao to "meat bun".. that's just theft and appropriation rebranded as political correctness. they can keep calling their products sriracha, dumplings and kimchi as such to honor the respective origins of the food. but let's be honest, how authentic is trader joes "ethnic food?" calling their wonton-wrapped meat "siu mai" is disrespectful to actual dim sum

i'm not sure if you read the original petition on change.org but it states this:

"The Trader Joe's branding is racist because it exoticizes other cultures — it presents 'Joe' as the default 'normal' and the other characters falling outside of it — they are 'Arabian Joe,' 'Trader José,' and 'Trader Joe San.'"

it's 2020, companies shouldn't depend on contrived racial stereotypes to market their products and posing it as being inclusive. it's the same reason aunt jemima's syrup and the washington football team are being rebranded.

Last edited:
no one's advocating that they go from bao to "meat bun".. that's just theft and appropriation rebranded as political correctness. they can keep calling their products sriracha, dumplings and kimchi as such to honor the respective origins of the food. but let's be honest, how authentic is trader joes "ethnic food?" calling their wonton-wrapped meat "siu mai" is disrespectful to actual dim sum

i'm not sure if you read the original petition on change.org but it states this:

it's 2020, companies shouldn't depend on contrived racial stereotypes to market their products and posing it as being inclusive. it's the same reason aunt jemima's syrup and the washington football team are being rebranded.

Who makes Trader Joe’s food products? The very same companies who already make the exact same food items. Trader Joe’s just gets to put their name on label and sell at lower price.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Who-s-making-Trader-Joes-food-brand-relationships-6680520.php

And regarding your idea that all products should be under the “Joe” name. Why does “Joe” get to be the only name used? You don’t know anybody Asian named “Ming”, anybody Latino named “Juan”, anybody Italian named “Giotto”, etc?

Said before, I don’t have an English name. What is wrong with my given Chinese name? Why the heck should I Anglicize my name.

The straight use of an actual foreign name is not exotic nor racist nor stereotype. Aunt Jemima and the Washington football team’s name have a proven historical lineage to actual prejudice. Not comparable.

Edit:
Do I need a white high school gal to tell me what names are acceptable and not racist, exotic or stereotype?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom