Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Screenshot_20200916-213643_Facebook.jpg
20200916_213820.jpg

i appreciate their attempt to provide some interpretation of the "typical asian" but all i think it did was reinforce the concept that asians are still the "model minority myth."

the notion that people of different racial communities are "shot" onto a different mountain or path is really just a way to say asians and other people of color can enjoy privileges that exist relative to white privilege. my issue with his analysis/framework is that he really dances around the issue of structural racism's role in producing poverty that disproportionately impacts black, latinx, southeast asian communities. i get what he's trying to say, but it's oversimplistic and generalizes all asian people as being of one narrative (i.e. "maybe you're 1 out of the 100 asians that don't fit this" actually, there are entire communities of Cambodian, Hmong, Mien, Viet, Lao, Filipinx that don't fit this bull **** pathway he's talking about). hearing this narrative makes me feel disconnected from the "Asian" race.

also, I'm just curious why is this concept of "go to school get educated, become a doctor.. blah blah blah" associated only with asians? what communities aren't telling kids to go to school or be successful?

Agree with most of what you wrote besides including filipinos in with those other asian immigrant groups in the U.S, Filipinos rank really high up there for average income of all ethnic groups here in the U.S, i think 2nd right behind Indians in Cali

i appreciate their attempt to provide some interpretation of the "typical asian" but all i think it did was reinforce the concept that asians are still the "model minority myth."

the notion that people of different racial communities are "shot" onto a different mountain or path is really just a way to say asians and other people of color can enjoy privileges that exist relative to white privilege. my issue with his analysis/framework is that he really dances around the issue of structural racism's role in producing poverty that disproportionately impacts black, latinx, southeast asian communities. i get what he's trying to say, but it's oversimplistic and generalizes all asian people as being of one narrative (i.e. "maybe you're 1 out of the 100 asians that don't fit this" actually, there are entire communities of Cambodian, Hmong, Mien, Viet, Lao, Filipinx that don't fit this bull **** pathway he's talking about). hearing this narrative makes me feel disconnected from the "Asian" race.

also, I'm just curious why is this concept of "go to school get educated, become a doctor.. blah blah blah" associated only with asians? what communities aren't telling kids to go to school or be successful?

No interest in the movie topic, but her shot seems misguided. He’s an award winning renowned director and pretty sure dude picked him. Vid does a solid response. Wonder her thoughts when someone like Ang Lee, John Wu, etc does non Asian related films. Wrong fight to fight.

No interest in the movie topic, but her shot seems misguided. He’s an award winning renowned director and pretty sure dude picked him. Vid does a solid response. Wonder her thoughts when someone like Ang Lee, John Wu, etc does non Asian related films. Wrong fight to fight.

She a dumbaşs. If you don't have talent or won't make the most money for the movie at your position, you will be overlooked. Having Ron Howard there is a brand name alone that will attract media attention.

I never watched the anime Your Name but I remember hearing the adaptation wasn't going to have Asians in it.

I *think* they changed their mind. The original director and writer, Marc Webb and Eric Heisserer, were replaced.

Director and writer is now Lee Isaac Chung and another writer is Emily V Gordon. Lee Isaac Chung just directed/wrote Minari, an Asian-American film that's predicted to get some Oscar nominations. Emily Gordon wrote The Big Sick starring Kumail, an Indian-American actor (her husband), and is vocal about representation on her Twitter.

Hopefully will be another big Asian lead film and hopefully it'll have some new young faces. We been recycling the same actors forever.

Last edited:
Biden was against Vietnamese refugees coming to America that's why Vietnamese hate him.
is this related to something about Communism he said/did?

His votes and words so Yes.

His votes and words so Yes.

I'm not putting any faith into the Washington Examiner lol but I'm about to dive into this rabbit hole. Some articles I read so far

https://vietfactcheck.org/2020/08/3...d-democrats-were-against-vietnamese-refugees/

https://link.medium.com/B2KOYQnN99

say that claim is taken out of context, but I'm sure there's a concrete reason. From what I understand Vietnamese immigrants from that era are staunchly Republican just based on anti-Communist ideology, no matter what. Similar to how Cubans vote R also.

is this related to something about Communism he said/did?

Filipinos are stupid. 34% probably believe that Duterte is doing a great job.

Older Filipinos definitely sounding stupid. I know the racist ones are mad about all the blm stuff and supporting trump. They don’t realize trump don’t care about their brown selves and would happily spit in their faces and give them rona.

What in actual F. SF really worse than when I worked there. Absolute toilet bowl.

was just reading this on IG. SMH, I'm down to get a mob together and beat these fools down.

there was a comment that said SFPD arrested a suspect in this case and another elderly attack, still wanna see him get beat down though.

Back
Top Bottom