Becoming A Teacher. Ya/Nay

I am a teacher. You can't go into with the "I can save the world" mentality. It will ruin your life because there are so many things out of your control. It can be a great job if you know what you are getting yourself into. You don't have that much flexibility on lesson plans and some places will fire you if your students don't do well on standardized tests. I would try to sub for a few days to get a feel of the classroom.

I have the exact same sentiments, dude. I'm currently majoring in Computer Science, but I want to join a program similar to Teach For America and start teaching at the HS level.

A lot of people are saying it's impossible to reach this kids. I know for a fact that isn't true. A couple of my teachers literally changed my life, and inspired me to be successful. More so than that "Be all you can be" crap they feed to kids these days. While admittedly there is a problem with today's youth, I think another overlooked problem is the quality of teachers. Not everyone is cut out to teach. And even those who can get by, many of them don't really connect with the students and try to make a difference. They treat it as just a job, and I think it's a lot more than that. You're not only teaching students what they should learn from the texts, but you're a role model to them. It's not your job just to make sure they learn, but I think its your job to inspire them to actually want to learn. Granted, you aren't going to save the world. You should be realistic, but at the same time, strive to make a difference within your means.

As for the questions:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

1. How much freedom would I have in terms of lesson plans? I hear these days that teaching is nothing more than training kids to take standardized tests. How true is this?

2. Contacting kids out of the classroom. Is that legal? I hear this really isn't allowed as much as it once was.
1. The freedom with your lesson plans really depends on what you want to teach. If you want to teach math, then your lesson plan would have to be a lot more structured than say Psychology. Each state's (and probably school district) curriculum is different, and your school will have a set goal of how many students should be proficient in the subject. (E.g. 80% of your math class should be able to calculate derivatives by the end of the semester.) Theoretically, your method of teaching doesn't matter as long as you can reach your goals. However, as a new teacher, you will probably be strongly encouraged to stick to the basics.

There is a lot of truth behind the "teaching to take tests" theory. Public schools get a majority of their funding from the state, and the better the students at any given school do on the state's standardized tests, the more money they'll get. While you don't necessarily have to teach specifically for the test, the schools will essentially make you in order to keep your job. But once you get tenure,
pimp.gif

2. This is more of a grey area. It really depends on the school, whether or not you know the students family, etc. There are a lot of variables that come into play. But, from my understanding, it's strongly discouraged.

I'd love too but the pay sucks.  Of course you hear Obama talk about the need for good teachers during the State of the Union couple months back cause the American education system is so damn +%**%%, but the only way to do that is to raise teacher salary to make it more appealing to smarter candidates.

If I'm in my mid-twenties and not much is going on for me though, I'd consider going back to school to get a degree in teacher administration.  I don't want to teach really but I wouldn't mind being a principle/dean or whatever.  I've worked with kids underprivleged kids before and there was nothing I've ever felt more comfortable doing.  I was 15 working next to college grads and I was prolly better than anyone else despite me being a blanquito.

I heard it sucks at first, since noob teachers are first to be laid off, but after a few years benefits pile up. My teacher has taught for 15+ years and is now taking in $80k+ annually, and a some dope pension plan AND he gets winter/spring/summer break etc.
pimp.gif

I have the exact same sentiments, dude. I'm currently majoring in Computer Science, but I want to join a program similar to Teach For America and start teaching at the HS level.

A lot of people are saying it's impossible to reach this kids. I know for a fact that isn't true. A couple of my teachers literally changed my life, and inspired me to be successful. More so than that "Be all you can be" crap they feed to kids these days. While admittedly there is a problem with today's youth, I think another overlooked problem is the quality of teachers. Not everyone is cut out to teach. And even those who can get by, many of them don't really connect with the students and try to make a difference. They treat it as just a job, and I think it's a lot more than that. You're not only teaching students what they should learn from the texts, but you're a role model to them. It's not your job just to make sure they learn, but I think its your job to inspire them to actually want to learn. Granted, you aren't going to save the world. You should be realistic, but at the same time, strive to make a difference within your means.

As for the questions:

1. How much freedom would I have in terms of lesson plans? I hear these days that teaching is nothing more than training kids to take standardized tests. How true is this?

2. Contacting kids out of the classroom. Is that legal? I hear this really isn't allowed as much as it once was.
1. The freedom with your lesson plans really depends on what you want to teach. If you want to teach math, then your lesson plan would have to be a lot more structured than say Psychology. Each state's (and probably school district) curriculum is different, and your school will have a set goal of how many students should be proficient in the subject. (E.g. 80% of your math class should be able to calculate derivatives by the end of the semester.) Theoretically, your method of teaching doesn't matter as long as you can reach your goals. However, as a new teacher, you will probably be strongly encouraged to stick to the basics.

There is a lot of truth behind the "teaching to take tests" theory. Public schools get a majority of their funding from the state, and the better the students at any given school do on the state's standardized tests, the more money they'll get. While you don't necessarily have to teach specifically for the test, the schools will essentially make you in order to keep your job. But once you get tenure,
pimp.gif

2. This is more of a grey area. It really depends on the school, whether or not you know the students family, etc. There are a lot of variables that come into play. But, from my understanding, it's strongly discouraged.

I heard it sucks at first, since noob teachers are first to be laid off, but after a few years benefits pile up. My teacher has taught for 15+ years and is now taking in $80k+ annually, and a some dope pension plan AND he gets winter/spring/summer break etc.
pimp.gif

I'd love too but the pay sucks.  Of course you hear Obama talk about the need for good teachers during the State of the Union couple months back cause the American education system is so damn +%**%%, but the only way to do that is to raise teacher salary to make it more appealing to smarter candidates.

If I'm in my mid-twenties and not much is going on for me though, I'd consider going back to school to get a degree in teacher administration.  I don't want to teach really but I wouldn't mind being a principle/dean or whatever.  I've worked with kids underprivleged kids before and there was nothing I've ever felt more comfortable doing.  I was 15 working next to college grads and I was prolly better than anyone else despite me being a blanquito.

Originally Posted by ricky409

its sad to say... but your gonna deliver a positive message... a very self-fulfilling message...

but these kids just aint gonna hear it...
Honestly, I just need to reach one person. One person can slightly hear the message. That person can grow up and think, "I remember Mr. American teaching me how to save $ on my cable bill." And he can teach someone else the same. I don't expect to save the world.

I am just tired of being all talk. Really. I have been talking for a while man. Nothing to show for it. Well I have done it through other methods, so I won't say I haven't done anything. But I need to do more.
If that's your mindset you'll be just fine. I've worked with 'at risk' youth for in a wide range of environments for a good five years now and that's exactly how I look at it. 
Even if you think you only reached one kid, you may have actually reached 10 you just didn't know it. These kids keep their guard up at all times. They might hear what you're saying, actually be thankful for you saying it, and still assertively present them selves as not giving a flying @**#. 

Even if my success rate is less than 5% I can honestly say I feel good about the lives I've impacted over the years. 

Originally Posted by ricky409

its sad to say... but your gonna deliver a positive message... a very self-fulfilling message...

but these kids just aint gonna hear it...
Honestly, I just need to reach one person. One person can slightly hear the message. That person can grow up and think, "I remember Mr. American teaching me how to save $ on my cable bill." And he can teach someone else the same. I don't expect to save the world.

I am just tired of being all talk. Really. I have been talking for a while man. Nothing to show for it. Well I have done it through other methods, so I won't say I haven't done anything. But I need to do more.
If that's your mindset you'll be just fine. I've worked with 'at risk' youth for in a wide range of environments for a good five years now and that's exactly how I look at it. 
Even if you think you only reached one kid, you may have actually reached 10 you just didn't know it. These kids keep their guard up at all times. They might hear what you're saying, actually be thankful for you saying it, and still assertively present them selves as not giving a flying @**#. 

Even if my success rate is less than 5% I can honestly say I feel good about the lives I've impacted over the years. 

I just feel like I need to do more for my people man. I am not trying to be a Messiah or anything but the more and more I see senseless acts by kids, the more I feel like I have failed them by spending all of these years chasing my personal dreams. Maybe I am growing up?

Just looking for other opinions on the teaching world.

Please respond
MIDDLE SCHOOL US HISTORY TEACHER CHECKING IN 
devil.gif

1) Depending on the institution, usually all classes aim towards a set of standards.  It's up to you, how you get them there.  Lesson plans = total freedom (you wouldn't believe some of the cool stuff I do in my class - biggie/pac lessons, history of jordans, etc)

2) Depending on the age it becomes an ethical issue, and depending on the context of the contact you keep is also huge.  Most teachers are blessed with the schedule to also be able to coach a sport, which is another relationship that you can have with the students (I coach basketball and it is awesome)

3) It is such a rewarding feeling to be a positive influence on a child's life.  It's something that no paycheck can make up for.  Watching a student come into your classroom as an average kid, leave as a confident individual, and then come back later in life as a successful adult is PRICELESS 
pimp.gif
  On a short term level, for me at least, seeing my athletes improve their game and eventually get college scholarships is a great feeling too
glasses.gif

My advice - kids can smell a rat a mile away.  If you know that you have the ability to influence kids, it's a gift that YOU HAVE TO USE FOR THE POSITIVE.  It doesn't matter what subject you teach, to be a positive influence and a role model for 100+ kids, year in and year out, is a lifetime of goodness.  Put it this way, every year I have the chance to get to know 200 students/athletes.  I have been teaching for 4 years now.  That is a total of 800 young adults out there, who when I see at the mall or out in town greet me with a smile and let me know how they are doing... you can't beat that IMO 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pm me if you need advice and have any questions... good luck on whatever you decide to do in life 
smokin.gif

I just feel like I need to do more for my people man. I am not trying to be a Messiah or anything but the more and more I see senseless acts by kids, the more I feel like I have failed them by spending all of these years chasing my personal dreams. Maybe I am growing up?

Just looking for other opinions on the teaching world.

Please respond
MIDDLE SCHOOL US HISTORY TEACHER CHECKING IN 
devil.gif

1) Depending on the institution, usually all classes aim towards a set of standards.  It's up to you, how you get them there.  Lesson plans = total freedom (you wouldn't believe some of the cool stuff I do in my class - biggie/pac lessons, history of jordans, etc)

2) Depending on the age it becomes an ethical issue, and depending on the context of the contact you keep is also huge.  Most teachers are blessed with the schedule to also be able to coach a sport, which is another relationship that you can have with the students (I coach basketball and it is awesome)

3) It is such a rewarding feeling to be a positive influence on a child's life.  It's something that no paycheck can make up for.  Watching a student come into your classroom as an average kid, leave as a confident individual, and then come back later in life as a successful adult is PRICELESS 
pimp.gif
  On a short term level, for me at least, seeing my athletes improve their game and eventually get college scholarships is a great feeling too
glasses.gif

My advice - kids can smell a rat a mile away.  If you know that you have the ability to influence kids, it's a gift that YOU HAVE TO USE FOR THE POSITIVE.  It doesn't matter what subject you teach, to be a positive influence and a role model for 100+ kids, year in and year out, is a lifetime of goodness.  Put it this way, every year I have the chance to get to know 200 students/athletes.  I have been teaching for 4 years now.  That is a total of 800 young adults out there, who when I see at the mall or out in town greet me with a smile and let me know how they are doing... you can't beat that IMO 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pm me if you need advice and have any questions... good luck on whatever you decide to do in life 
smokin.gif

It starts with the parents handling business at home. If that doesn't happen it makes a teachers job that much harder.

I feel you on the reaching one though.
smokin.gif

It starts with the parents handling business at home. If that doesn't happen it makes a teachers job that much harder.

I feel you on the reaching one though.
smokin.gif

Do it DC.. it sounds like you actually wanna teach kids

if youre planning to teach elementary kids.. be ready for all the stress u get from them.

I don't think teacher's paychecks are fat, so make sure you marry a rich woman 
grin.gif

Do it DC.. it sounds like you actually wanna teach kids

if youre planning to teach elementary kids.. be ready for all the stress u get from them.

I don't think teacher's paychecks are fat, so make sure you marry a rich woman 
grin.gif

I'm not a teacher yet, but I do begin my student teaching this fall.

You have to follow state standards as far as what to cover, but you do/should have freedom and creativity as far as lesson planning. If you're hesitant, ask a veteran teacher or administrator to make sure the lesson plan is appropriate. And yes, there is a focus on standardized testing these days.

I suppose it depends on the situation.

I'm not a teacher yet, but I do begin my student teaching this fall.

You have to follow state standards as far as what to cover, but you do/should have freedom and creativity as far as lesson planning. If you're hesitant, ask a veteran teacher or administrator to make sure the lesson plan is appropriate. And yes, there is a focus on standardized testing these days.

I suppose it depends on the situation.

I've actually been thinking about doing the exact same thing man!

To those that teach:

When you started, did your initial experiences meet your expectations (how you thought teaching was going to be)?  And as you went on, did your perspective on teaching change, and if so, how?

I've actually been thinking about doing the exact same thing man!

To those that teach:

When you started, did your initial experiences meet your expectations (how you thought teaching was going to be)?  And as you went on, did your perspective on teaching change, and if so, how?

Start my student teaching this fall, from what I've heard it all depends the situation and what you make of it.

Start my student teaching this fall, from what I've heard it all depends the situation and what you make of it.

Back
Top Bottom