Best Albums of the Year. (Mixtapes are a different thread).

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Why does LDR have her own thread?!? Instead you got so many garbage artists with threads, how about we discuss someone who is actually talented

Stop it, five.

Originally Posted by Noskey

Why does LDR have her own thread?!? Instead you got so many garbage artists with threads, how about we discuss someone who is actually talented

There is a Lana thread somewhere around here. Havent seen it in a while, but yeah... like I said there's a lot of hate around her because dudes think she's nothing more than a product of a record label. Even on here some dudes say that.

I agree though; but this being a rap dominated board, there aren't enough fans of anything else to keep these non-rap threads sustained. Ce la vie.

I don't understand that thought process. How is she a product of a record label? She's a product of amazing talent and a great album from start to finish

Lana's album is good, nothing more, really. Far from amazing.
laugh.gif
 Complaining about the talent level of the artists who get more attention on here, then saying Lana should receive such attention, in contrast to those artists, exaggerates her talent. I mean, there are artists miles ahead of Lana in the talent department, who don't get half the attention she's received in such a short span of time.
Anyway, some of my favorites up to this point are:

The Men - Open Your Heart 

The-Men-Open-Your-Heart-front-630x630-300x300.jpg

Chairlift - Something

chairlift-something_jpg_300x300_crop-smart_q85.jpg

Memoryhouse - The Slideshow Effect

Memoryhouse_TheSlideshowEffect_jpg_630x900_q85_jpg_300x300_crop-smart_q85.jpg

Frankie Rose - Interstellar 

frankieroseinterstellar.jpg

Jonquil - Point of Go

jonquil-2.jpg

Wow. After listing those albums, I now realize I've been slacking way more than usual. I need to dig deeper.

My favorites also consists of others mentioned, like Beach House, Big K.R.I.T, Grimes, Santigold, Chromatics.

^ I was really let down by that Memoryhouse album. One of the more disappointing releases I've heard recently. Jonquil, Frankie Rose, and Chairlift weren't too bad, but they're very forgettable to me. Still haven't heard The Men's album yet. Might have to check that out later. Their music doesn't seem like it's my cup of tea, but who knows, I might like it.

I'm with you on that slacking comment. There's still a lot of stuff I need to hear.

^ That just hit my Honorable Mentions list.

Didn't even know Chairlift had an album out. Gonna get that soon for sure.

Oh yeah, found this the other day. Been listening, and it's grown on me a lot.

Kindness - World, You Need a Change of Mind

s29491f18pk.jpg

Watch this video first. Or dont, but make sure you watch it:

http://youtu.be/xmwCxCVsWV4

Here's the song itself:

Originally Posted by Noskey

There is a Lana thread somewhere around here. Havent seen it in a while, but yeah... like I said there's a lot of hate around her because dudes think she's nothing more than a product of a record label. Even on here some dudes say that.

I agree though; but this being a rap dominated board, there aren't enough fans of anything else to keep these non-rap threads sustained. Ce la vie.

I don't understand that thought process. How is she a product of a record label? She's a product of amazing talent and a great album from start to finish

because....
Lana Del Rey went from complete anonymity to the front page of magazines, not to mention intense internet buzz and an SNL appearance. But along with this (almost literal) overnight success came revelations regarding the rising star: She is a total creation of her management team. When her previous artist persona named Lizzie Grant became a monumental flop, she underwent intense retooling including: A new name (which was assigned to her by her label), plastic surgery, a new musical style, a new image and a new marketing strategy. She is now signed with Interscope, Lady Gaga’s label.

not to mention her father is a billionaire with connections.....so maybe you can now understand why such a thought process might exist. 

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

Lana Del Rey went from complete anonymity to the front page of magazines, not to mention intense internet buzz and an SNL appearance. But along with this (almost literal) overnight success came revelations regarding the rising star: She is a total creation of her management team. When her previous artist persona named Lizzie Grant became a monumental flop, she underwent intense retooling including: A new name (which was assigned to her by her label), plastic surgery, a new musical style, a new image and a new marketing strategy. She is now signed with Interscope, Lady Gaga’s label.

not to mention her father is a billionaire with connections.....so maybe you can now understand why such a thought process might exist. 

... VERY interesting info. 
But the album is still VERY good. Thanks to those who posted it, and thanks for the other albums everyone posted, about to work my way to them.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Love these threads. Will keep an eye out.

Word. It really gives me a chance to listen to different genres of music.
pimp.gif

I'm really diggin' what Grimes, Tanlines and Santigold put out!

Thanks to whoever recommended the Kindness record. I like it a lot. Especially the track 'House.'

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Thanks to whoever recommended the Kindness record. I like it a lot. Especially the track 'House.'

I woulda thought you would have been on that record already. It's a solid effort. Saw them last night at LPR for their first NYC show. It was a really good time.

Been slacking .. But Bloom .. and The Money Store

awesomeness.
new ab-soul is pretty nice too .. 

Big K.R.I.T. - 4eva And A Day

Apollo Brown & O.C. - Trophies

Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

Originally Posted by hugebird

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

I woulda thought you would have been on that record already. It's a solid effort. Saw them last night at LPR for their first NYC show. It was a really good time.
Finishing up undergrad and smoothing out plans to move to Brooklyn next month have left me without much time to keep up with the music 
laugh.gif

I never even heard of Kindness or that album before this thread.
laugh.gif

I downloaded the album and skimmed through it last night and I really liked what I heard. I'm gonna give it a full listen soon.

168515d0ff66a7f5d21382891df1608b.jpg

SEPTICLPBOX1_lrg.jpg

Ty-Segall-and-White-Fence-608x608.jpg

Chromatics, Death Grips,  Spritualized, and The Men already mentioned.

Liars should be up there once it comes out.  I am loving the samples I heard.

Ab Soul - Control System

The Internet - Purple Naked Ladies

Schoolboy Q - Habits and Contradictions

Originally Posted by CadillacFLOW

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

... VERY interesting info. 
But the album is still VERY good. Thanks to those who posted it, and thanks for the other albums everyone posted, about to work my way to them.

absolutely none of that has been proven 
laugh.gif
...her father being a billionaire is a new one...
she just changed her image which is actually pretty normal...a lot of artist do with age...maybe she just started feeling a different type of music or wanted to create a different mood with hers...although i do agree, she's not the most talented singer and gets by off her songwriting capabilities and production, but bottom line, she made a amazing album which is all i really care about...

Jack White - Blunderbuss
The Shins - Port Morrow
Santigold - Master of My Make-Believe
Miike Snow - Happy To You
Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror

Silversun Pickups - Neck of the Woods (is making its way up my list quickly, just didn't have time to fit it in my rotation with all the other stuff out there)

Back
Top Bottom