*** Best Hip Hop Label Ever ***

Excluding labels like Def Jam & Loud because they have different structures . . .
MPW-17562

Its gotta be . . . from 1992 - 1998, there 4 year run was crazy, sellin almost 50 million worldwide. Had probabaly the BEST hip hop producer of all time andthe best at that time in Dr Dre . . . Snoop was the biggest rapper on the planet from 93-95, and when 2Pac jumped on board he was probabaly the biggest rapperfrom 95 until he died.

The Chronic owned 1992 . . . And basically held the street down until Doggystyle came out, which at the time solf like 450K its first week, breaking somerecord for an artists debut album (which was later beat out by 50 in 03) . . . Murder Was the Case was a huge soundtrack both on the charts and on the streets. . . The Above The Rim soundtrack had one of the biggest hip hop hits of the 90s in "Regulate" . . .

Chronic.gif

Released 1992
3x Platinum
snoop-doggy-dogg-doggystyle.jpg

Released 1993
4x Platinum
5019148628262.jpg

Released 1994
2x Platinum
B000003AEN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Released 1994
2x Platinum
B000003ABQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Released 1995
2x Platinum
2pac_aeem2.jpg

Released 1996
10x Platinum
s7386.jpg

Released 1996
4x Platinum
B00005AQGC.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Released 1996
2x Platinum
0291414.jpg

Released 1996
1x Platinum
298px-Gang_related.svg.png

Released 1996
2x Platinum
2258760-1201666307.jpg

Released 1998
9x Platinum

Classic albums
Classic tracks
Clasic videos

Discuss . . .

In regards to record sales absolutely, in regards to overall impact, I think that may be a tie between them and the ROC.

Its gotta be . . . from 1992 - 1998, there 4 year run was crazy,
I think you meant 1992-1996??

What impact did the Roc have that a label like say . . . Bad Boy or No Limit didn't??
The impact factor is more opinionated than anything else, but even with that being said, I don't recall Bad Boy or No Limit having a clothingline, if so let me know. Also, as minor as it might be, you have major athletes endorsing or repping the Roc, which in turns means more exposure or morespotlight for the label.

deathrow was owning in the 90s.

but don't discount the fact the master p was doing his thing as well. no limit was even an agency for athlete's. i remember ricky williams signed aninsane contract with the N.O. Saints when he was drafted.

Originally Posted by Tha Sun Child

The Roc, from 00-05, they had one of the best stables in hip-hop..........

Still not touching the impact Death Row had on the game. 2Pac, Snoop, & Dre = Best Hip Hop Trio in History
pimp.gif

but don't discount the fact the master p was doing his thing as well. no limit was even an agency for athlete's. i remember ricky williams signed an insane contract with the N.O. Saints when he was drafted.
No doubt, No Limit definitely did there thing as well. I know Shaq and other athletes did cameos in their video's and whatnot. I'd stilltake the Roc over them though, from a collective standpoint.

What do athletes have to do with it?? 50 Mill worldwide speaks for itself . . . The record label had 2 of the most recognizable hip hop artists in the historyof hip hop, and probabaly one of the most recognizable producers in all of music . . . And Bad Boy didn't have a clothing line?? Last time I checked BadBoy was started by P Diddy, the same P Diddy that started Sean John . . .

How bout Rawkus from about 98-02. They had some classic albums on there from Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Hi-Tek, Pharoah Monch, Soundbombing II!

What do athletes have to do with it??

I already answered this question champ, It's called endorsement. From a marketing standpoint getting or having a famous face endorsing your label is good business and equals more exposure.

50 Mill worldwide speaks for itself .

Again, please go back and re-read my post, I said from a sales standpoint they win out easily.

And Bad Boy didn't have a clothing line?? Last time I checked Bad Boy was started by P Diddy, the same P Diddy that started Sean John . . .
Thanks for proving my point, Bad Boy itself does NOT have a clothing line, Puff the individual himself has a clothing line, big difference. Of course Sean John most likely would not be possible without the success of Bad Boy but Sean John is not a Bad Boy collective business venture by name.

^ I think your just a ROC fan and they had a big impact on YOU. They had their run on top in the rap game but they aren't to be mentioned ahead of NoLimit or Bad Boy. This guy comes in here with this ROC talk
laugh.gif
how are yougonna try n equate Death Row's impact with them.

Just on the talk of quantity with No Limit being mentioned. When they had their run in the south I think they had the most album released right? in a 4or 5year span that they had, damn thats crazy
laugh.gif

Anyway regarding Death Row's reign I can't front they had that cut throat dominance on the game, no collabin with anbody but Death Row artists. Ilove West Coast music cuz of them and what came before them, just don't agree with how the other issh went down. Death Row had a grip of classics veryappreciated. To this day this is still the only label to continue keeping a region on the map and the West has not been the same since their fall.

smokin.gif

Can't believe he menntioned impact tho . . . They re shaped the sound of west coast hip hop AND east coast hip hop, BIG is probabaly the most influentialfiguire in east coast hip hop's history, and he modled his debut albums sound afrer Doggystyle and The Chronic. Death Row Records hands were in the RAMPARTscandal, which is still the biggest scandel in LAPD history, also in the center in the East vs West beef, and the murders of 2Pac and Biggie . . . If Death Rownever existed the WHOLE landscape of hip hop would be compeletely different, they were a center figuire in hip hop history . . . Can we say that +%%! about TheRoc?? I mean I could'nt tell who Larry Johnson was from the next dude juiced up on steroids . . . Ain't nobody signing to Roc A Fella because of LarryJohnson, or Dante Hall or who ever throws up "the roc" after they score a point or some +%%! . . .

Agreed ... Death Row was unstoppable back then ... can only imagine what would have happened if pac lived and they made Death Row East and released that Onenation joint ...

Although nowhere near the impact of Death Row, Rawkus records had an excellent roster in terms of talent.

Back
Top Bottom