Blu-Ray: What's the difference? How much better than DVD? Is it worth buying?

Originally Posted by jumpman23000

What's the deal with those 1080p up-converting dvd players ? Don't those make regular dvds look good?

yes but very few people find it worthwhile to spend $50 on a machine that will be obsolete when you can get a $200-$400 machine that will perform the samefunction and play Blu-Rays (and play games if its a PS3).

Yeah but those features weren't really on movies that people wanted. The reason Blu-ray won the war is because it has studio support from the get go. Eventhough HD DVD was a better bargain the titles available on Blu-ray were superior for the "ps3" audience that was working so well for Sony.

blu-ray 7.1 uncompress audio ...and HD-DVD uses compress audio ....i have the ps3 and XBOX360 HD-DVD player ....both look about the same, but blu-ray soundswayyyyy better ...

Originally Posted by infamousod

What's the deal with those 1080p up-converting dvd players ? Don't those make regular dvds look good?

yes but very few people find it worthwhile to spend $50 on a machine that will be obsolete when you can get a $200-$400 machine that will perform the same function and play Blu-Rays (and play games if its a PS3).
but blu-ray movies are 2-3 times more expensive than dvd
and the transition to online streaming has already begun..

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Originally Posted by akf0dy7

Originally Posted by MarleysProtege

Originally Posted by miss kidd0

Anyone excited about next month's releases?
smokin.gif

51S3LavyEmL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51R76CHQLYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51nSsWoFaGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51mTXt0ABML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

wait till you see shawshank on bluray ... you will be blown away made an already classic movie that much better ... i remember the day i watched it was the day the cowboys traded for roy williams, i was in heaven ...

the dark knight is a dark movie and the blu ray version didnt really excite me like some others ... cop iron man if you really wanna get the entire blu ray action effect

add Wanted to that list to. it drops next tuesday
pimp.gif

i think everyone should just cop a ps3 for the blu-ray player. its by far the easiest player to update as far as software updates & it gives you the option to upconvert standard dvd's to 1080p. b

but it would be pretty pointless imo to buy a BD player without an HDTV
Yeah Wanted and Lost are two other big ones i'm excited about.
How have you already seen The Dark Knight on blu-ray

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

yes but very few people find it worthwhile to spend $50 on a machine that will be obsolete when you can get a $200-$400 machine that will perform the same function and play Blu-Rays (and play games if its a PS3).
but blu-ray movies are 2-3 times more expensive than dvd
and the transition to online streaming has already begun..
Ehh don't buy into the hype with online streaming. Software isn't going anywhere for a WHILE. Blu-ray really isn't that expensiveeither compared to DVD these days. Usually only a few more bucks and a lot cheaper online...Like Wanted coming out this tuesday is only $19.99 at Sears.It's $27 at Best Buy and places like that. You just gotta do a little looking to find deals.

Word id love to see Online streaming sources succeed and provide a good 1080p picture... VUDU has come the closest so far with its HDX content but even thereyou need a LOT of hard drive space which you can only get with the VUDU pro or w.e where youd have 1 TB of space.... and on top of that the 1080p is not onlylimited as far as titles right now but its still compressed... its still not as good as Blu-Ray...

Good luck finding a source of 1080p DLed content being able to handle mass traffic any time in the near future...

BTW... did anyone else pick up that Sony S350 Blu-Ray player from SontStyle.com on Thursday for $150.00??? I got it but its on backorder so it might be a weekor 2 before i get it... but that player for $150 is
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif

OP should throw an "OFFICIAL " into the thread title... this would be a good thread to keep alive for a while....

Yall NEED to get Wall-E on Blu-Ray... its AMAZING.

also - how do i get ps3 to convert regular dvds to 1080p??

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

Originally Posted by kdwallace

Go back and watch a VHS movie then watch a Blu-Ray disc and that's what your DVD's look like.
Or he could just watch a dvd then watch a bd. And hddvd= Blu ray in terms of quality, don't think cuz it died it was trash.

HD-DVD was only 1080i vs Blu's 1080p.
WRONG
indifferent.gif

arent ps3 like 299 now? im not even a playstation fan but Ill throwin in the extra 100 for it, plus Im hearing ps3 blu ray player is the better of them all

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

Originally Posted by kdwallace

Go back and watch a VHS movie then watch a Blu-Ray disc and that's what your DVD's look like.
Or he could just watch a dvd then watch a bd. And hddvd= Blu ray in terms of quality, don't think cuz it died it was trash.

HD-DVD was only 1080i vs Blu's 1080p.
WRONG
indifferent.gif
What is it about this that people cant comprehend?
laugh.gif
smh.gif

so what rate are ps3's going nowadays?

so I should just buy a ps3 instead of a blue ray player?
You should be cool if you keep your eyes out for a deal on a BRP.... Like i said i got mine for $150 and its one of the better models out...should be able to find some good ones around for like $199 soon... look out tomorrow for them on "cyber monday"... Im gonna keep my eyes out fordeals and post them in here if theres anything good online
nerd.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted by BABY JUICE

You need to have your PS3 connected to your HDTV by a HDMI cord. That's the only way regular dvds can be upconverted. I tried using Component cables= nodice

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

arent ps3 like 299 now? im not even a playstation fan but Ill throwin in the extra 100 for it, plus Im hearing ps3 blu ray player is the better of them all

if you can find the 40gb models
or you can use ebay and get cashback thru live.com

Originally Posted by BABY JUICE

Yall NEED to get Wall-E on Blu-Ray... its AMAZING.

I really have no desire to see the movie, still

I think ill be good with a 40gb model, because I probably wont even play it that much I believe the 40gb is discontinued though correct?

you absolutely need an HDTV to get the HD (high definition) resolution that a Blu-Ray player outputs. A regular TV, even early plasma/LCDs only got 480p resolution tops, meaning 480 pixels stretched across the screen. Compare that to 720p or even better 1080i or 1080p. where you have more than twice as many pixels meaning you can get smoother edges and higher quality picture. In my spoiled opinion it makes a whole world of difference. Plus a good player will upconvert DVDs so they look better when you play them on Blu-Ray players (some DVDs more than others).

the quality of the TV makes the biggest difference. As long as you use an HDMI cable and a Blu-Ray player that is. Blu-ray is 1080p which means if you get 720 or 1080i you're missing something, but it still looks a lot better than an old fashion tv. (the "i" stands for interlaced and the "p" stands for progressive, which is the method in which the pixels are laid out, progressive is a lot better for fast-moving scenes).

$900 Blu-Ray players are dead, just like there were once $900 VCRs and $900 DVD players and $5000 computers. But make sure you get a Blu-Ray player that can plug into the Internet for firmware updates. If Blu-Ray changes the way its disks are read slightly to prevent copying or to improve quality (which is rare but they already did) then your player may not work as well without the update. Not sure how much if at all it will make a difference. Also some more expensive players may upconvert better.

and yes, HD-DVD is dead

as far as PS3, its what I have and it works great except for the lack of an IR receiver so I can't use my universal remote to control it. it makes the most sense at this point but I wouldn't frown upon a regular BR player if its a good deal on a good player.
there are still $5k computers

HD-DVD was only 1080i vs Blu's 1080p. It also held a lot less data on each disk. Relatively speaking, it was trash.
HD-DVD did support 1080p. The amount of of storage is irrelevant to picture quality.
indifferent.gif

WORD i forgot about cashback.... i would get on that ASAP with it at 30%... end up paying like sub $300 shipped
nerd.gif

PS3 is a deal if you want to be able to have a great Blu-ray player that can double as an entertainment system. If you're going to do some gaming and stuffit's most DEF worth it imo. I haven't looked back or regretted my PS3 purchase.

And that was when they were $600...

BTW Borders has CRAZY HD DVD sale goin on right now... get some good stuff for under $10

this is what i just got..... The Kingdom is in the DVD/HD DVD combo format which is
pimp.gif
... i got like 3-4 others that are the same way... i buy regular DVDsfor $10 so why not one that can do both for when my HD DVD player is gone (not anytime soon)

[table][tr][th=""]Item[/th] [th=""]Status[/th] [th=""]List Price[/th] [th=""]Your Price[/th] [th=""]Quantity[/th] [th=""]Total[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
The Sopranos: Season Six, Part 2 [HD]

James Gandolfini
HD-DVD
SKU: 026359425486
[/td] [td]Backorder [/td] [td]
$126.99
[/td] [td]
$8.89

(save: $118.10 93%)
[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]$8.89[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
The Sopranos: Season Six, Part 1 [HD] [4 Discs]

James Gandolfini
HD-DVD
SKU: 026359392986
$126.99
[/td] [td]
$8.89

(save: $118.10 93%)
[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]$8.89[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
The Kingdom [HD]

Jamie Foxx
HD-DVD
SKU: 025193266521
$24.99
[/td] [td]
$9.75

(save: $15.24 61%)
[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]$9.75[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]Item Total $27.53

[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Shipping[/td] [td]$0.00[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tax[/td] [td]$2.22[/td] [/tr][/table]
ORDER TOTAL$29.75

Back
Top Bottom