Bobby Fischer Dead At 64 Vol. Search Called Off

I'm not surprised he went crazy but I am kinda surprised he didn't burn out much earlier than he did, Genus (especially genius of a mathematical naturewhich is what chess mostly is) + Fame at an early age is never a good combination.

he taught me the 4-move checkmate
did that once by accident. I was
eek.gif

I seriously need to learn how to play chess...
frown.gif

Fischer was wanted in the United States for playing a 1992 rematch against Boris Spassky in Yugoslavia in defiance of international sanctions.
Excuse my ignorance, but what kind of sanctions would get someone in trouble with the law for playing a game of chess¿

He was a US citizen entering Soviet controlled territory without permission from the US government

Edit: I should clarify, the UN had launched a massive embargo against Yugoslavia which prevent any sort of commercial transaction taking place and the US wasupholding that as a UN member. The embargo also included sporting events.

Originally Posted by Falcon4567

He was a US citizen entering Soviet controlled territory without permission from the US government

Ok so it had nothing to do with chess at all. That's what I was trying to figure out. Thanks.

RIP....

not too fond of the anti american and anti semetic stuff but great player and interesting story

When play got under way, days late, Fischer lost the first game with an elementary blunder after discovering that television cameras he had reluctantly accepted were not unseen and unheard, but right behind the players' chairs.
LOL!!
Thats like everybody waiting to see a TYSON vs. Muhammad Ali fight and just because Muhammad Ali doesn't like the cameras he lets Tyson KO him.

Also I play on YAHOO chess and I taunt people with THOR quotes all the time!!

Back
Top Bottom