Bosses that are younger than you FTL......

I'm younger than 70% of my staff. At first it was very challenging, but now I'm good w/ it.

I'm 20 and have to manage people 30+ years older than me.

Like other said, you earn their respect by working hard and knowing your $!%!.

It's the other way around for me.

I'm the young guy in charge
pimp.gif

at my last job i was the assistant manager, and i to manage people that could be my parents. we was cool because they respected me because i was always workinghard. plus i didnt feel it was my job to be telling grown people what they need to do. if they wasnt doing what they was supposed to be doing i was sendingthem home, simple as that

man let me tell yall about my super anal boss....ever since i was hired this guy has made my life a living hell...."hmmm let me do a uniforminspection" this guys ridiculous with it god i wear the same damn uniform every day and this dude HAS to check my uniform everyday i swear another thingthey pay this dude 25.42 an hour to supervise us meaning only about 3 workers at a time...and i swear i do more work than his !$! does all day.....and when itstime to give someone else a break he goes and does it himself so he could sit down and make me stand up....another thing today when he came to relieve me for abreak the second i stand up from my seat hes like your gunna have to tuck your shirt in....IM LIKE DUDE I JUST GOT UP GOD DAMMIT LET ME AT LEAST TAKE A FEWSTEPS BEFORE YOU TELL ME THIS. and i swear i think that when his wife doesnt give him none he comes grumpy to work....i cant believe im actually wasting mytime venting about my boss . thanks nt for providing me somewhere to vent geezz...and no hes not younger than me hes around his late 40s and im in 22

@@#$ is annoying tho.

I'd been at a place a whole year and some chick 4 years younger got promoted to GM on my vacation since something bad happened.

I came back and just about EVERYTHING is broken/messy/depleted. On top of that I did all the work to fix it up and the owners ain't show me no kinda love.
smh.gif

That's why their $17,000+ cooling unit stayed broke. @#$# them.

i feel the pain of those that have gone through what i went through or that your going through it now i tell you this much the first sign i see to bounce imout and i think i will try to insight this bastard cuz if he get out a line i'm a GTS his behind.... lol

Originally Posted by PH3N0M3N0N

@@#$ is annoying tho.

I'd been at a place a whole year and some chick 4 years younger got promoted to GM on my vacation since something bad happened.

I came back and just about EVERYTHING is broken/messy/depleted. On top of that I did all the work to fix it up and the owners ain't show me no kinda love.
smh.gif

That's why their $17,000+ cooling unit stayed broke. @#$# them.

is that what the company gets for hiring you?
eek.gif

I guess you get mad when younger cats have more money than you too.

I mean...
laugh.gif
Your whole existence is a disgrace.

Originally Posted by JayHood23

I've never experienced that but I have been in a situation when my boss was like 2 or 3 years older than me and wanted to kick it all the time. Dude would get real sore when I told him I would pass. He had it out for me, fired me for being late even after I called the job to let him know I wouldnt be on time

you shouldve thrown him a bone here and there and gone out for a beer or something. Then when promotion time comes, BAM!

Am i the only one who fakes sincerity in order to get ahead?

Its the opposite with me, im the boss at a kids center day camp and there is this guy whos 21, he think he can do whatever he wants cause of his age and causehes older then other summer youth employers......so sent him home.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

eh. I'm younger than my staff.

it's awkward sometimes giving older people orders....but if you know your stuff....they have to respect that
basically, at my dads job I stay bossing 30-40 year old employees
laugh.gif
simply because you know more

Originally Posted by Club29

I've never experienced that but I have been in a situation when my boss was like 2 or 3 years older than me and wanted to kick it all the time. Dude would get real sore when I told him I would pass. He had it out for me, fired me for being late even after I called the job to let him know I wouldnt be on time

you shouldve thrown him a bone here and there and gone out for a beer or something. Then when promotion time comes, BAM!

Nope, a lot of people do that. And it is sad, and pathetic to see how far people would go being fake.
You can easily be successful by just being yourself, being smart, and working hard.

I had two supervisors in my previous jobs that were younger than me. They weren't all that knowledgeable they just been there longer than me.

Originally Posted by TheRav4

Nope, a lot of people do that. And it is sad, and pathetic to see how far people would go being fake.
You can easily be successful by just being yourself, being smart, and working hard.

hey, you can call me pathetic all you want.

in fact, call my secretary while im out golfing at noon on a Wednesday and give her the message.

im younger then my bosses, but i would straight boss em outside of work.

one of my co-worker did at the work place. +%#@ as funny.. it didnt end well.

I'm a team lead (supervisor, whatever) and I'm the youngest on my team with only one other who's under 30 as well (I'm 26). Age means nothingman. Some people are just douchebags who'll never realize that you need to treat your colleagues (that includes people who work under you) with respect andcommon decency.

in fact, call my secretary while im out golfing at noon on a Wednesday and give her the message.
laugh.gif
Noted. No offense, but you just gave me a greatopening...I had to.

Club29 wrote:

Club29 wrote:
JayHood23 wrote:

DEADED
laugh.gif

Anyways, you need to play the game to get ahead in corporate America.
You tired of having a boss younger than you, you should have played golf with the mid level managers and Vice Presidents last weekend
laugh.gif
Maybe you could have done some networking and made moves.

Most companies are bureaucracies, so it's 50% hardwork and 50% positioning(politics, timing, etc.) when it comes to moving up the ladder. You need to be self-promoting without being arrogant. Claim as much work done as you can evenif you were only a proxy to the assignment. It's survival of the fittest (or who has the most connections) in Fortune 500. I like to call it,"Corporate Darwinism". There is a reason why your boss is younger than you. Be happy you work at a company that even allows your boss to beyounger than you. Some companies are very strict on "up or out". You either get promoted in X amount of years or you are asked to leave.

Only professional services firms like consulting firms, law firms, investment banks, etc. tend to be true Meritocracies and even those firms become bureaucracies at the Partner level.

Back
Top Bottom