Campus officer kills naked freshman at University of South Alabama

(CNN) -- Authorities are investigating why a University of South Alabama officer fatally shot an 18-year-old freshman who they say was naked and acting erratically outside the campus police station early Saturday.

With few details of the shooting, the student's mother and one of his friends said they could not understand how a six-year varsity wrestler and good-natured teenager could have died under such strange and sad circumstances.

According to a statement from the school, the campus police officer heard a loud banging noise on a window at the station at 1:23 a.m. CT (2:23 a.m. ET) Saturday. When he left the station to investigate, the school said, "he was confronted by a muscular, nude man who was acting erratically."

The man, later identified as Gilbert Thomas Collar, of Wetumpka, Alabama, repeatedly rushed and verbally challenged the officer in a fighting stance, the school said.

The officer, whose name hasn't been released, drew his weapon and ordered Collar to stop, the school said. The officer retreated several times to try to calm the situation.

"When the individual continued to rush toward the officer in a threatening manner and ignored the officer's repeated commands to stop, the officer fired one shot with his police sidearm, which struck the chest of the assailant," the school statement said. "The individual fell to the ground, but he got up once more and continued to challenge the officer further before collapsing and expiring."

Collar's mother, Bonnie, said the two people who called her with the news of her son -- someone from the school and another involved in the investigation -- did not mention that her son was trying to attack anyone when he was shot.

"He was wearing no clothes and he was obviously not in his right mind," she told CNN. "No one said that he had attacked anybody, and obviously he was not armed. He was completely naked."

Bonnie Collar said she did not know why her son was acting that way when he was killed. She said he weighed 135 pounds and was 5-foot-7 with a wrestler's build.

"The first thing on my mind is, freshman kids do stupid things, and campus police should be equipped to handle activity like that without having to use lethal force," she said.

Campus police immediately contacted the district attorney's office to request an external investigation, and the Mobile County Sheriff's Department will assist, the school said.

The officer has been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of internal and external investigations, according to the school, which enrolls about 15,000 students.

Investigators are looking at security camera tape of the shooting, Collar's mother said. CNN's calls about the tape were referred to school spokesman Keith Ayers, who did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Earlier Saturday, Ayers called it a "campus tragedy" for the university family but offered no other details, citing the active investigation.

One of Collar's oldest friends was Chris Estes, 18. He said the boys became friends at age 5 and grew up playing baseball together. Along with their friend Jared, they became three best friends with the slogan "JGC for life," Estes told CNN by e-mail.

"Gil was a very 'chill' guy, mellow and easy going," Estes wrote. "That's why I don't understand the story that he attacked the cop. He got along with anybody at school no matter who you were. He could always have a conversation with anyone. As many times as I've hung out with Gil, I've never seen aggression in him, especially not towards a cop."

As the boys grew up in Wetumpka, Estes said, Collar stopped playing baseball to focus more on his dominant sport, wrestling. Collar's mother said he was a two-time state qualifier in wrestling, and Estes said he could have wrestled at the collegiate level if he chose.

"Gil loved to hang out with friends, he loved having a good time and made the best out of every situation, always keeping his head up," said Estes, who stayed behind to attend nearby Auburn University at Montgomery.

Estes said it's unfortunate he didn't go off to college with his friend. "If I did, I think the whole situation would have been avoided," he said.

Collar's mother said their hometown of nearly 8,000 people is in disbelief about the shooting. On Twitter, some used the hashtag #WetuFam (Wetumpka Family) on Saturday in remembering Collar.

"Our entire community is in shock because this is so different than his demeanor and his personality that we've seen for the 18 years that he's been on this earth," she said.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/07/justice/alabama-student-killed/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I guess the naked wrestler was so physically imposing that deadly force was justified from the cop's perspective?

"well, he shouldn't have been naked. The cops were scared and had to act."

"he shouldn't have been reaching. What if he had a gun up his ***?"

How frail was this officer that a 135 pound, nude male caused him to draw his weapon? Deadly force doesn't seem necessary in this case at all. Could've just pepper sprayed the kid.

(CNN) -- Authorities are investigating why a University of South Alabama officer fatally shot an 18-year-old freshman who they say was naked and acting erratically outside the campus police station early Saturday.

According to a statement from the school, the campus police officer heard a loud banging noise on a window at the station at 1:23 a.m. CT (2:23 a.m. ET) Saturday. When he left the station to investigate, the school said, "he was confronted by a muscular, nude man who was acting erratically."

The man, later identified as Gilbert Thomas Collar, of Wetumpka, Alabama, repeatedly rushed and verbally challenged the officer in a fighting stance, the school said.

The officer, whose name hasn't been released, drew his weapon and ordered Collar to stop, the school said. The officer retreated several times to try to calm the situation.

Come on dude... don't try to act like the cop didn't a reason to act the way that he did.

I hate the cops just as much as the next dude... believe me I've got stories living in NYC :smh:

But... put yourself in the cops shoes... or better yet what if that was your Dad and this situation went down there's not telling what that kid was on he probably was on some drugs that gave him some type of Hulk power the cop was thinking, and on top of that the cop was probably thinking about bath salts and all that other crap from the stories he's heard about.

Poor man must have been scared out his mind... for sure it was out of the element of anything that he's encountered before being that it's quiet Alabama... whereas you see crazy **** like this all the time in NYC trains.

I mean yeah they should investigate the situation, but I don't think the cop was wrong in this situation.

And on top of that the article states that the kid had a wrestlers build... that cop was done for if he let him get in too close... no telling what the outcome would have been for the officer.

Last edited:
I'm 160 and 6'1, 6'2 and still frail as hell

Then again, he did have a "wrestlers build", and drugs can make you do crazy ****

RIP

And we have person number one defending this.

He was NAKED. Why shoot him in the chest? He was outside the campus station. you know how much stupid crap freshmen do? He Could have easily been on drugs

and you forgot to highlight the 5'7 135 pounds part. Ohhhhh so scary

Already people are giving the kid the benefit of the doubt. You don't know what the kid was high on. You wouldn't believe what kids on campus are capable of getting their hands on if they know the right people. If he was on PCP, pepper spray wouldn't have done a damn thing and the story would be titled, South Alabama officer in critical condition.

taser....nightstick...

the police have non lethal ways of subduing a potential threat...

why is their glock the first thing they always use???

While reading the story... I thought he was 6'5", 260...

Homey was a pip squeak...

Cop was scared, but hr shoulda shot him in the leg or something else...

Guess he didn't want to shoot him in the D... no man wants to do that...

Last edited:
taser....nightstick...

Because people will always excuse them for it. No Consequences. Oh except paid vacation time at home

Come on dude... don't try to act like the cop didn't a reason to act the way that he did.
I hate the cops just as much as the next dude... believe me I've got stories living in NYC :smh:
But... put yourself in the cops shoes... or better yet what if that was your Dad and this situation went down there's not telling what that kid was on he probably was on some drugs that gave him some type of Hulk power the cop was thinking, and on top of that the cop was probably thinking about bath salts and all that other crap from the stories he's heard about.
Poor man must have been scared out his mind... for sure it was out of the element of anything that he's encountered before being that it's quiet Alabama... whereas you see crazy **** like this all the time in NYC trains.
I mean yeah they should investigate the situation, but I don't think the cop was wrong in this situation.
And on top of that the article states that the kid had a wrestlers build... that cop was done for if he let him get in too close... no telling what the outcome would have been for the officer.

Nice to see you have so much sympathy for the person who's still breathing. I don't care where this took place or how old the cop MAY HAVE been. As an officer he should have been trained diffuse this situation without a loss of life if the individual was UNARMED. You make it sound like this was some civilian trying to protect his family. This is an officer with training. In the very worst case scenario the naked dude should've took one to the leg. There's no reason to shoot an unarmed man in the chest. The fact that you're defending this is disturbing.

:lol: Shot him in the leg. Any marksman is taught to hit center mass. This isn't a movie where you can hit a moving target in the limb. You risk missing and hitting someone else.

A taser or a nightstick? Both of which have been proven to be ineffective when used against someone that is under the delirium of certain drugs. Also, non-lethal weapons such as those have killed before. You're also forgetting that the kid was a champion wrestler, no way the cop wins using a nightstick. He'd be dead right now.

For those that think that unarmed people can't do harm to a cop:
El Paso police officer dies after severe beating
By Chris Roberts/El Paso Times
Posted: 10/06/2012 12:05:54 AM MDT

Click photo to enlarge
Officer Jonathan Molina died today from injuries he sustained during... (El Paso Police Department)

»

Reporter
Chris Roberts

Police officer assaulted
Injured El Paso police officer critical; police warn of scam
El Paso police officer suffered fractured skull, internal head injuries in assault
El Paso police: Car damage led to attack on off-duty officer
Off-duty El Paso police officer hurt in attack; 2 detained

Guestbook: Offer condolences to friends and family

An El Paso police officer allegedly knocked unconscious and then beaten violently by a 17-year-old died Friday morning at University Medical Center, police said.

Officer Jonathan Molina, 29, who did tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan with the Marine Corps, died a little more than nine days after suffering a fractured skull, internal head injuries and facial fractures.

The suspect, Juan Antonio Gonzalez, who had been arrested on suspicion of assaulting an officer, was charged with capital murder on Friday.

Gonzalez, who was being held at the El Paso County Jail, saw his bond raised from $200,000 to $5 million.

"It is with a sad heart today that the El Paso Police Department is notifying you of the death of Officer Jonathan Molina," said Police Chief Greg Allen, who paused to control his emotions during a news conference at police headquarters. "Officer Molina will be sorely missed."

Based on three complaint affidavits, including one released Friday with the capital murder charge, here is what happened:

The incident started on Sept. 25 at 4:53 p.m. when Molina, who was off-duty, saw a young man scratch his personal vehicle with a piece of metal. The vandal was with
two other man, one of whom was Gonzalez.

The silver Pontiac Grand Prix had "fresh" scratches on its right side, hood and bumper.

Molina left his home to confront Juan Antonio Gomez, who allegedly scratched the car. Police did not provide an age for Gomez, who, as of Friday afternoon, had not been charged with a crime.

Gomez, Gonzalez and the other youth, identified as Alan Medrano, 19, ignored Molina and kept walking east on the sidewalk next to Trowbridge.

Molina got into his car and followed them a way before parking in front of a home at 4120 Trowbridge.

After getting out of his car, Molina identified himself as a police officer and confronted Gomez.

Molina was "attempting to begin an investigation," the affidavit says.

Sometime during the confrontation, Molina asked a bystander to call 911.

The situation began to escalate when Gonzalez stepped between the officer and Gomez.

Molina "pushed" Gonzalez out of the way and redirected his attention to Gomez, the most recent affidavit says.

Then Gonzalez allegedly punched Molina in the face with his fist, stunning the officer.

Gonzalez then quickly grabbed Molina around his knees and jerked his legs upward, the affidavit says.

That caused Molina "to fall backwards and head first onto the concrete driveway," the affidavit says. The blow to Molina's head knocked him unconscious, it says.

Gonzalez then "squatted over (Molina) and began to beat (him) multiple times around the face and head," the affidavit says.

Bystanders approached the group and the youths "fled the scene," the affidavit says.

An ambulance took Molina to University Medical Center. Police interviewed witnesses who provided statements and a physical description of the assailant that matched Gonzalez, the affidavit says.

At 5:18 p.m., another police officer responded to the Trowbridge location on an "officer-down" call.

Officer Jose Rosales drove east into the 5100 block of Trowbridge when he saw three men -- including Gonzalez, who matched the description he heard over the radio -- walking into some apartments. Gonzalez lives in that area.

As Rosales approached the three men yelling, "Stop, police," they ran into an alley to the north.

Gonzalez and Gomez ran east down the alley, and Medrano ran west.

Rosales described all three over the radio and another officer detained Medrano in the 1300 block of Chadbourne Street. Medrano was charged with evading arrest and released on bond.

Gonzalez was found and taken into custody.

Police later contacted Gomez, who gave a voluntary statement that was recorded on video. In his statement, Gomez admitted scratching the car, demonstrated the attack by Gonzalez and confirmed that Molina had identified himself as a police officer, the affidavit says.

Police would not discuss the investigation, and an El Paso County District Attorney's Office spokeswoman could not comment on it because prosecutors have not seen the case.

However, federal law states that 17-year-olds are not eligible for the death penalty, she said. A 2005 U.S. Supreme Court split ruling outlawed the death penalty for anyone younger than 18.

Chris Roberts may be reached at [email protected]; 546-6136.

Last edited:
taser....nightstick...

Tasers don't always work. The fact that he's naked might be funny to you but to the officer it means that this guy is on something hard. And when someone like that rushes you the only thing they're thinking is stopping them. Hell the kid got back up after being shot center mass.

They teach shooting center mass. Do you know how hard it is to shoot someone in the leg.

Last edited:
Already people are giving the kid the benefit of the doubt. You don't know what the kid was high on. You wouldn't believe what kids on campus are capable of getting their hands on if they know the right people. If he was on PCP, pepper spray wouldn't have done a damn thing and the story would be titled, South Alabama officer in critical condition.

So being naked = high or PCP
PCP = justified use of deadly force

Therefore being naked = justified use of deadly force.

in the military they PREACHED to us escalation of force pre-deployment...

ive seen dudes sent to the brig in the middle east for not properly using the escalation of force...

let me tell yall this, FIRING YOUR WEAPON WAS THE LAST OPTION of that escalation...

we had dudes in 4 layers of clothes nd a turban running towards us they still want us to pop a flare, send warning shots, etc all before firing our weapon...this is in a country where half these dudes take pride in being a 'martyr' ..where the enemy looks the same as the civilians...where u think its sweet cause women and children are all around then BOOM...some ish blows up...

completely diff than a naked college kid with the body of a middle schooler..

im sure cops go thru very similar escalation of force training...

TRUST ME, THERE WERE OTHER NONE LETHAL WAYS TO SUBDUE THE STUDENT!!!!!

who cares if tasers dont work on everyone, or dude was a black belt and would take the cops nightstick..who cares if dude was high on meth, bath salts, whatever...WHO CARES...none of that matters...lethal force shouldnt have been the first response...

period..no other variable matters...this is on the cop..100% on the cop...

Last edited:

Nice to see you have so much sympathy for the person who's still breathing. I don't care where this took place or how old the cop MAY HAVE been. As an officer he should have been trained diffuse this situation without a loss of life if the individual was UNARMED. You make it sound like this was some civilian trying to protect his family. This is an officer with training. In the very worst case scenario the naked dude should've took one to the leg. There's no reason to shoot an unarmed man in the chest. The fact that you're defending this is disturbing.

What if he missed the shot to the leg or he tried a tazer or pepper spray, the kid took a shot to the chest and stood back up like the Undertaker, then we would have been reading about a hard working blue collar Dad/worker killed by some college kid high off some new illicit drug.

The fact that you're giving this kid the benefit of the doubt is what's disgusting and foolish.

The officer was in no way shape or form wrong in this situation... he tried multiple times to defuse the situation, but it didn't work... hence why the outcome was what it was.

:smh:

What if he missed the shot to the leg or he tried a tazer or pepper spray, the kid took a shot to the chest and stood back up like the Undertaker, then we would have been reading about a hard working blue collar Dad/worker killed by some college kid high off some new illicit drug.
The fact that you're giving this kid the benefit of the doubt is what's disgusting and foolish.
The officer was in no way shape or form wrong in this situation... he tried multiple times to defuse the situation, but it didn't work... hence why the outcome was what it was.
:smh:

Benefit of the doubt. Really because I said an unarmed kid shouldn't have been shot in the chest. Whatever you say. You make it sound like this cop was just some schmuck. This was a person who was trained and should've handled the situation better. I'm tired of all these what if's they mean nothing. If you carry a weapon there's a certain level of responsibility that comes with it.

This officer should be charged with murder.

Naked man with no weapon? This is when you slide the leather gloves on, call for back up, and throw hands until the other officers arrive.

There was no need for a gun as mentioned before. Pepper Spray would have been more than enough...at the most the Retractable windsheild breaker to the knee.

Just disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom