Can you guys school me on wine?

Originally Posted by chiang2k6

Originally Posted by Retro707

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Damn, forgot bout that Retro707...still need to take you up on your offer to visit the winery...totally lost track of that.

anytime bro.  If any of you guys trying to come out to Napa Valley, hit me up.  I will set you up for comp tastings at several places.  Dat wine life bruhs
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

-UNDFT-
Oh shiiiiiiit, I've always wanted to go to Napa with my girl and wine taste but did not know where to start. I would thoroughly appreciate tips on exactly where to go and all haha.

Bro, LMK when. I will get you good rates on places to stay and set you up at different wineries.  I gotchuu fambs
-UNDFT-

Anything by Colgin, Ovid, Checkerboard, Morlet, Chateau Boswell, Hundred Acre and your set
pimp.gif

For restaurants order a Cake Bread Sauvignon Blanc goes well with seafood. I would def. do seafood.

Theres an app for smartphones called HelloVino or something like that. Basically, you pick what kind of meat, pasta, or whatever meal you'll be having, and it'll match up a wine to go with it.

HelloVino

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

so do people seriously drink moscato with dinner?

talk about buying into hype.

laugh.gif
 Really

OP, you just have to try the wines out for yourself and find your preference. If you're ordering steak and you want to sound classy ask for a bottle/glass/sample of "cabernet sauvignon" (cab-er-nay saw-vyawn) or Pinot Noir (pee-no nu-ar). For chicken/fish/pasta, you can order a Pinot Grigio (pee-no gree-jee-oh) or a Riesling (rees-ling). That should get you by. 

Source: My cougar.  

Thanks for the info guys. Going to an Italian place tonight, think I'll get a glass of pinot. Since that's what I hear everyone talking about.

and idk about anyone else but Moscato is delicious
laugh.gif
. Never had it with dinner but my girl used to keep a bottle at her place

Italian place? Roll with Chianti. Haven't had a bad one at any half decent Italian restaurant.

Some good info in here... I may need to get my grown man on one day and hit the napa valley +1.

[h1]Gewürztraminer is one of my new favorites. Goes well with Salmon, Spicy Asian food or fatty (oily) game, according to wikipedia.
[/h1]

Two other things:

1) Contemplate researching and just picking up your own bottle and paying the place's corkage (if not obscene). This would allow you to research a bit before being put on the spot.
2) Divide by 3 to get a sense for how much the bottle normally costs (i.e. - from a liquor store/winery).

I hope my info was helpful.  There's a lot more to it for sure.  I gave you a basic rundown on the most common wines you will see on a wine list.  I do recommend bringing your own bottle to avoid the premium markups.  Corkage fees can range anywhere between $3-25$.. atleast here in Napa anyways.  For all of you that have visited Napa and are looking to come back, please let me know! I would love to host you in a private seated tasting in our club room with the cheese/charcuterie platters.  There's a lot of wonderful vineyards out here and the scenery is always nice throughout the whole year.  I work at a very small family owned boutique "house of hoops"
laugh.gif
 style winery with a lot of small production bottlings.  I encourage you to PM me for more info and if any of you need good recommendations, I grew up in St Helena, and been in Napa forever!  Let me know Bruhs!

-UNDFT-

Originally Posted by Retro707

I hope my info was helpful.  There's a lot more to it for sure.  I gave you a basic rundown on the most common wines you will see on a wine list.  I do recommend bringing your own bottle to avoid the premium markups.  Corkage fees can range anywhere between $3-25$.. atleast here in Napa anyways.  For all of you that have visited Napa and are looking to come back, please let me know! I would love to host you in a private seated tasting in our club room with the cheese/charcuterie platters.  There's a lot of wonderful vineyards out here and the scenery is always nice throughout the whole year.  I work at a very small family owned boutique "house of hoops"
laugh.gif
 style winery with a lot of small production bottlings.  I encourage you to PM me for more info and if any of you need good recommendations, I grew up in St Helena, and been in Napa forever!  Let me know Bruhs!

-UNDFT-
Info was much appreciated! I've always relied on the waiter's suggestions, and while its always worked out well for me, it was nice to get somewhat educated on the topic 
laugh.gif
. And when is the best part of the year to go up to Napa in terms of the quality of wine?

Don't get me wrong.   Waiters are great! but the amount of personal time you get with them is limited since they are attending other tables.  Not to mention, a restaurants wine list can change weekly, it's tough to keep up with all the wines.  I know of some wine bars that have up to 100 wines on the list and it's changed biweekly.  It's crazy bruhhs, but definitely something to keep in mind.  Anytime you order a wine/bring a wine please allow it to "breathe".  Allowing the wine to breathe lets it open up and it triggers and enhances the aromatics and flavor of the wine.  Everything you read on a wine description is naturally acquired based on style/fermantation and or wine making technique.  No flavors, no sugars, no other product is added to wine to resemble what it does.  As wine ages, it changes,matures,evolves in the bottle.  Aging a wine too long can also give you the negative effect of what you wanted.  Tannins and the fruit need to be balanced well enough to allow the wine to be approachable, sometimes when it is too tart/strong/sharp edged with tannins, it requires a little bit more cellaring to get it where you want it to be.  Wine is going up an escalator, once it reaches the top, eventually it has to come down.  All wines have a peak time when they are at their best.  Over aging a wine, you'll catch it while it's going down the grid.  "Enjoy this wine til 2020" and such other comments give you an idea of when you should be looking forward to drinking that specific bottle, but hey, everyones taste is different and everyone has a unique definition of what's good and what's not.  Always remember, your favorite is someone elses worst and vice versa.  I luv dat wine life...I breathe it, I dream it, I drink it.. Da UNDFT be straight up on dat juice!

*** EDIT

Forgot to answer your question.  Napa's best time to visit if you want to experience the visuals of wine making and how the process is, is during September-October.  It's harvest time, BUT it's crazy busy in the valley.  If you want a lot of the 1 on 1 personal attention, I recommend to book private tastings and avoid walk ins since tasting rooms will be super megaman packed. 

-UNDFT-

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

Retro707 is the man. Gives me free bottles and a great VIP tour when I visited his winery 
pimp.gif

Youse my fambs, brohambs.  This man became a believer when I came through with dat juice!.  143!  You drink that rose bubbly yet bruhh or you trying to trade it for some southbeach lebrons?
pimp.gif

-UNDFT-

Quick question about storing wine Retro707. I like buying wine bottles for personal usage at home. Can you explain the proper technique to store wine after opening? Sometimes Ill pop one open, pour a few glasses and save it. I dont own one of those cork storage tops (whats the name of that?) so i usually just try and squeeze the cork back in as adequately as possible. Will this affect the bottle in the long run? Should I invest in one of those bottle tops?

Originally Posted by GRideBounca11

Quick question about storing wine Retro707. I like buying wine bottles for personal usage at home. Can you explain the proper technique to store wine after opening? Sometimes Ill pop one open, pour a few glasses and save it. I dont own one of those cork storage tops (whats the name of that?) so i usually just try and squeeze the cork back in as adequately as possible. Will this affect the bottle in the long run? Should I invest in one of those bottle tops?
Great question brewwseffph.  Proper way to store wine after opening, it all depends on the wine.  All wines tend to hold different from one another.  White wines can typically be stored for 2-4 days as long as temperature is constantly steady.  Also depends on VOLUME of what is left in the bottle.  Red wine after 24-48 hrs is DONE.  You can use it for cooking but it will not taste anywhere near how it did on that first glass.  Wine loves oxygen because it allows the pureness to come out but at the same time oxygen will oxidize the wine.  When a wine has too much contact with oxygen it basically flattens out the flavor.  If you open a bottle of 2008 Cabernet , it is young and full of life so it will last you that extra day in the bottle on oppose to opening a 1997 bottle of cab that is already very soft and mellow and may not hold up as long.  All depends on vintage (year) and varietal (type of grape).  For those who have a glass today and save it for a week, that wine is GONE bruhhs.  The only wines that will keep for quite a bit of time are dessert wines and port style wines.  Dessert wines have 2 forms of preservatives, sugar and alcohol.  Port style has both also but they tend to be Fortified (mixed) with another form of spirit, in most cases Brandy.  If you have 3/4 of the bottle left, chances are the next day it will be fine.  If you have less than half the bottle left, suck it up and YOLO.  If its below half a bottle, too much air is inside going through the small volume a lot quicker.  Hope this helps brawwseffph.

-UNDFT-

Back
Top Bottom