Can you guys school me on wine?

Originally Posted by IRockTMacs

[h1]Gewürztraminer is one of my new favorites. Goes well with Salmon, Spicy Asian food or fatty (oily) game, according to wikipedia.
[/h1]

+1

I dont drink a ton of white, but I do like Gewurztaminer's and Albarino's when I do.

^^
Retro707 - usually i will do what you recommend and just power through and finish a bottle the night of, but sometimes I will be into bottle 2 and there is no way that I can power through that 2nd one and I have to keep it for later.  Do those air sucker outer things actuallly work or is it just bogus (im talkin bout the ones that come with the Rabbit sets)

Originally Posted by Retro707

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

Retro707 is the man. Gives me free bottles and a great VIP tour when I visited his winery 
pimp.gif

Youse my fambs, brohambs.  This man became a believer when I came through with dat juice!.  143!  You drink that rose bubbly yet bruhh or you trying to trade it for some southbeach lebrons?
pimp.gif

-UNDFT-

haha, nah fam. Still sitting on chill, might pop that jawn this weekend though.
smokin.gif

this thread is pretty much dead.  Not that much wine love out in da NT fambs.. I was actually enjoying this
ohwell.gif

I'am gonna go walk out in the vineyards and enjoy this nice heat we have.  Been seeing a lot of B-grade limos out today for some reason.  Bubbly tint jobs and dry/crumbled hard tops.  What's going on out here today!

-UNDFT-

*** EDIT

Forgot to answer your question.  Napa's best time to visit if you want to experience the visuals of wine making and how the process is, is during September-October.  It's harvest time, BUT it's crazy busy in the valley.  If you want a lot of the 1 on 1 personal attention, I recommend to book private tastings and avoid walk ins since tasting rooms will be super megaman packed. 

-UNDFT-
Thanks for all the info again. Hoping to take the gf up into wine country in a month or so. Would it be safe to assume that places are going to be real busy through the summer also?
On another note, this thread has me seriously interested in trying different wines now that I have a better sense for it. Craft beer is normally my thing, but I can definitely find a place for this too.

Originally Posted by GetYaShinebox

Malbec for red, pinot grigio for white

Malbec is inky spicy and has a lot of pepper flavor.  It's definitely something you build your pallet to.  Pinot Grigio, depending on the area it may be produced.  Remember, Wine regions grow what they can based on mother nature.  We can't just grow it all.  Every varietal requires a very unique micro climate.

-UNDFT-  #YOLO

Originally Posted by ikari XD

*** EDIT

Forgot to answer your question.  Napa's best time to visit if you want to experience the visuals of wine making and how the process is, is during September-October.  It's harvest time, BUT it's crazy busy in the valley.  If you want a lot of the 1 on 1 personal attention, I recommend to book private tastings and avoid walk ins since tasting rooms will be super megaman packed. 

-UNDFT-
Thanks for all the info again. Hoping to take the gf up into wine country in a month or so. Would it be safe to assume that places are going to be real busy through the summer also?
On another note, this thread has me seriously interested in trying different wines now that I have a better sense for it. Craft beer is normally my thing, but I can definitely find a place for this too.

Anytime bro.  It's already very busy and only getting busier.  Let me know when you come out, I'am sure I can help you out.  Any questions you have PM me fambs

-UNDFT-

First of all, Retro, you are carrying this thread so let me make a few modest contributions.

- Varietals (merlot, cabernet, zinfandel, ect.) are very sensitive to the weather conditions that occured in the spring and summer before they were harvested. The fruity and smooth red wines like Merlot and Syrah thrive when it is cool and foggy. Pinot Noir and Zinfandel love high heat and little fog during the summer. My family has a few vineyards in Central California and coastal vineyards are usually cool and foggy and they yield very smooth vintages. Pinot Noir and Zinfandel thrive in the hot, inland valleys and the hotter it was over the summer the more robust the flavors.

If you are buying a bottle that is over five years old, check on weather conditions during the summer in which it was grown, it really affects quality.

- California and France do not have a monopoly on good wines. Italian, Spanish, Greek, Australian, South African and Chilean and German wines can be great. States like Washington, Oregon and British Columbia produce some great merlot grapes and Central Texas has some great white wine grapes.

- Champagne is great if you are serving a multi course meal because it pairs well with every course escept for dessert. Moscato is a dessert wine, it is not a sparkling white wine, it is a wine to pair with dessert.

- If you use multiple bottles of wine to pair with a multicourse meal (this comes up if you have many guests, serve many courses, your friends drink a lot or some combination thereof), work from light to dark. Darker wines overpower the flavor of the little bit of the other, lighter wine that is left in the same glass. For dessert, clear the table and serve moscato or serve a digestif (end of the meal) liquor in very small glasses.

- Wine means wine made from grapes, every other wine has to be qualified as fruit or country wine. People in Anglo-Saxon countries look down on them as far in inferior substitutes to real, grape based wines. However, some fruit wines are excellent. I generally would not serve them through out a meal but a well made rasberry or blackberry wine can complement a dessert very well.

- Sangria and mulled wine are great ways to turn low quality red wine into something that is tasty and has a real kick.

pimp.gif

Get dat grown man Status up!  Thanks for the contributions!   After this thread, OP going to be on point when ordering dat juice.

-UNDFT-

Yea, wine is an acquired taste, like beer. Not everybody is going to like it.

Like Retro said, Reds are for red meats and whites and blushes are generally for ur seafood and poultry/foul

Mascato is a dessert wine, hence the sweetness. People who are ignorant to wines will go for this because of its sweetness but u have to take into account the meal.

I'm a Pinot Noir or Riesling man myself and some blushes. Reds are a lil too much for as far as tastes go.

If all else fails I'd suggest a mascato or pinot since the flavors aren't too strong. Something to get ur pallets used to wines.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom