Canada Sports channels Unnapreciation

So, its near 1 AM EST, and im watching the tv, looking for some raptors highlights.

TSN - TSN thats hockey, followed by the NHL all stars charity poker tournament
Sportsnet - The talk radio show with... forget his name. The dude with the sunglasses and the beard. He does have a good talk show, but is always about hockey.
The Score - The Spin with Steve "I have a problem with everything" Kouleus.

Notice a pattern?

Damn hockey runs this country. Tonight, there were 12 games in the association. In the NHL tonight, there were 3 games. 3 friggin games. And yet tonight,theraps not only win, but Jamario gets a career high of 5 blocks. So, I stay up till 3 AM EST, and finally, The Score gets off the Steve "Ranting"Kouleus, and spends three total minutes on basketball highlights. 3 FRIGGEN MINUTES. And yet, is followed by a 15 minute preview of all the hockey gamestommorow, including a special on how the Phoenix Coyotes, an american team, is becoming better because of Gretzky's coaching abilities.

smh.gif

What does it take to get more than three minutes of air time to see any other sport than hockey?

Every damn sports channel shows hockey... hockey... hockey... and more of, you guessed it... hockey.

Canadian sports channels = Unnapreciated.

I want ESPN, but the SCORE is pretty cool.

But for my NBA highlights I just watch NBA TV Daily on Raptors TV.

^ yeah, but for those of us who dont have it (its in my parents room, and they were sleeping already), it kinda sucks. I have never liked how Canada showssports. Ever.

The only channel that I like is The Score, but if I see Kouleus on TV, i throw the remote against the wall (after changing the channel obviously)

agreed its hockey followed by hockey with a finale of hockey its damn near impossible to watch any sort of basketball hilights.

I really like the Score...especially when Sid and Tim do Score Tonight.

I usually watch hilights before work each morning, so I don't ever have to deal with Kouleas. His is bad, but I would take him over Pierre McGuire, BobMcKenzie, Nick Kypreos, or Mike Toth.

Everytime I hear Mike Toth say "...wearin (insert some player no one cares about from 78 years ago)'s old number" , it makes me want to punchbabies.

co motherf*n sign i hate canadian sports channels! like how many highlights u need to see of hockey, first they show the pre game interviews then thehighlights then the post game interviews, like who#!+#!!@ cares lol. and when they finally show the ball highlights they just show maybe 2 plays in the 4thquarter than the score.

Definitely appreciated. I tried once to catch highlights, cause I missed the Raptor game the past night and I waited so damn long and they finally showed thehighlights from the game. Not to mention that highlights from the game was only a minute long, while highlights for hockey games are at least 3-4 minutes long;PER PERIOD.

smh.gif

Well, thank God im not the only one that thinks Canadian TV is garbage. And, to add, why in God's name is there always three hockey games on in one night(when there are 2 games... ok exagerating a bit), when there are 12 games on in the association, and none get TV coverage. Got Damn Canadian Broadcasters.

But Sid, Tim, Cabbie = Appreciation

So far I've only been able to catch ONE friggin' G'Town game (and that was on Buffalo's CBS feed) and a big fatZERO UNC game. I'm paying for TSN (they're obsessively enamored with hockey and curling), SCORE (with all the annoying hockey statsrunning at the bottom of the screen), all of the Sportsnet (which seldomly have any game I'd like to watch) AND Raptors NBATV (that doesn't always showthe games NBATV scheduled, they'll selectively blackout games when the Raps are playing...on OTHER channels!!!!!) and yet I'm finding myself watchingless and less games that I really want to watch....do I really have to dish out an extra $26.95 or whatever it is and get NBA League Pass to watch some decentgames on TV??? This is just wrong.

And don't get me started on ESPN and ESPN2, which should be the most basic of the basics. My co-worker's got a dish and he's getting seemingly allthe friggin' college games that are played no matter D1, D2, D3 or JUCO. I definitely echo post-starter's sentiments.

You've got to love TSN's basketball coverage...

"Suns and Mavs highlights, lets pick it up in the 4th quarter, Suns up by 2 when Dirk nails the 3 pointer at the buzzer for the win, Mavs win by1".
laugh.gif

Then they go back to hockey.
laugh.gif

And I cant see Canada getting ESPN in my lifetime, that channel would just kill the ratings of TSN, The Score and Sportsnet.

the score did show the pistons and spurs game last night, and two nights ago they also showed the kings against the magic. the score has the most basketballout of all the canadian sports broadcasting shows. But god bless espn and nba TV. SHOUTS OUT TO SID ON THE SCORE FOR HOLDING IT DOWN FOR ALL THE PORTUGUESE!

Oh yeah, the Score is the best basketball channel aside from RTV. But the fact that they have Steve "the ranting bastard" Kouleus all the friggintime makes me want to throw up.

I've made this post how many times in my years on NT?

For people with Regular Cable "The Score" is easily the best channel, tonight was a perfect example Raps win in NYC that and the Nets/Celticswe're the first highlights shown with Tim & Sid. While on TSN it was Hockey for the first 15 minutes, it's terrible Leafs suck move on give theRaps some priority.

I never rate TSN/Sportsnet both are trash and the only time either one is good is during NBA All Star Weekend. The only downside to the "The Score"is even though they DO show a bunch of NBA games 75% of the time it's terrible wack games!%+! wants to see the Magic @ Kings when the Spurs are at GState?

They also use to have the Highlights Clock which would tell you exactly what time the NBA, NFL, NHL Highlights would come on so you don't have to sit thereand watch endless Highlights your not interested in.

Another thing I noticed is in past years NBA wise there use to be ALOT of Double Headers but I'm guessing that went down when Raptors TV came into place.Don't even get me started on the Playoffs when there are games on and NONE of the networks are showing them instead choosing Poker or Wrestling instead.

I gotta get another receiver for my house because only 1 TV here has Raps TV, ESPN etc.

Outside of that LOVE The Score shoutout my dudes there that browse NT....and I saw that one clip of Sid playing Soccer he isn't great @ all
laugh.gif
Thosedudes seem to be up on their Music too Old and Current $+*#.

Incidentally, the G'Town vs. UCONN game was on one of the "NBA league pass" channels (or within the bundle of channels that normally televise allthe NBA league pass games) and apparently so were quite a few UNC games that I really wanted to watch earlier in the season.
mad.gif

Oh man, you young'uns don't know how much better Canadian TV has actually improved for basketball coverage over the years. Back when I was a kidduring the late 80s, early 90s, it was almost impossible to see any sort of basketball highlights that didn't have Michael Jordan in em.

TSN would only broadcast a game every 2 weeks. Sportsdesk (before it changed to Sportcenter) used to just show scores, but if you happened to take a pee breakat the time they showed them, you were screwed, because they didn't have a sports ticker back in those days. They'd only show highlights for one game,and that was that. Out of their half hour show, I'd say they dedicated about 1.5-2 minutes for basketball coverage.

The Score didn't exist yet, but when it first started out, it was just a sports ticker 24/7. At the time, I was elated, because if I missed the score, Iwouldn't have to wait 3-4 hours for the next show to begin. You were guaranteed to see the score at least twice during that hour.

No Sportsnet existed back in the day either.

And don't gas yourselves into thinking that ESPN's version of Sportscenter is that much better than TSN's version. I have an FTA receiver so I getto watch pretty much anything on Dishnet. ESPN uses the same format where they'll go from one sport into another. You won't just have a segmentdedicated to each sport. I guess they figured out how to trap people into watching the whole show, whereas before, if you were just a b-ball fan, you'dchange the channel after you got a night's worth of scores and highlights. And if you're ticked off about hockey always taking up a huge chunk ofspace, ESPN's doing the same thing, except with NFL coverage. One last thing to remember - TSN is pretty much owned by ESPN, hence the similarities intheir sports news.
Seriously, Canadian TV has grown leaps and bounds when it comes to basketball coverage. We have Raptors TV which is essentially the same as NBA TV
pimp.gif
. TSN, Sportsnet and the Score all show games on top of what we get to see fromABC on the weekends.

One more thing to remember - hockey is the dominant sport in Canada, so it gets higher ratings than basketball. I'm sure if basketball miraculously becameCanada's sport overnight, we'd get to watch basketball all the time. But TSN, Sportsnet, the Score - they're all businesses. They're going toshow whatever gets them the most ratings. It's like if you were a DJ at a club - you might like hip hop personally, but if your crowd enjoys punk music,the majority of your spins will involve that genre of music.

But again, don't get discouraged. The Raptors and Steve Nash have paved the way for basketball to grow in Canada. We've got more and more playersbeing recruited to play Division I ball in the NCAA. Heck, those living in area with Rogers cable can even shell out for NBA League Pass now. Things aredefinitely looking up for basketball fans in Canada. If you're still ticked off about the lack of coverage, you could always just shell out for an FTAreceiver (although it's sometimes unreliable).

you know, as much as I do hate canadian sports TV, i have to agree with you ill4eva that it has gotten better.

Its just very frustrating to see, on a sunday night, that there are no raptors highlights to be seen, no NFL highlights to be seen, and two of the threechannels have poker, while the third has a hockey talk show. Its just tough to put up with.

you know, as much as I do hate canadian sports TV, i have to agree with you ill4eva that it has gotten better.

Its just very frustrating to see, on a sunday night, that there are no raptors highlights to be seen, no NFL highlights to be seen, and two of the threechannels have poker, while the third has a hockey talk show. Its just tough to put up with.

OK OK somebody please correct me if Im wrong but did I just see an interview on Courtside with Nikki Reyes rocking bootleg V's?...The worst part is she wasasking people about J's.......

If this is true she should never have anything to do with shoes or sports......If Im wrong accept my apologies...The Branded spot on the XX3's wasneat...but this is unacceptable...

i dont think ESPN would ever come here because TSN is owned by ESPN or somewhat affiliated with them?
so thats technically Canadian ESPN.
but maybe you should buy 1 less pair of kicks and get rapstv, its really worth it IMO.

Originally Posted by wttm

i dont think ESPN would ever come here because TSN is owned by ESPN or somewhat affiliated with them?
The Sports Network (commonly known as TSN) is a Canadian English languagecable television specialty channel and is Canada'sleading English language sports televisionchannel. TSN premiered in 1984, in the second group of Canadian specialty cable channels. Essentially designed as a Canadian version of ESPN, the extremely successful American all-sports cable channel, TSN remains the top-rated service on Canadiancable and satellite television owned by CTV Speciality Television Inc. (managed by CTVglobemedia.)

LOL at Nikkie's boogleg Js.
Good coverage on the 23s though.
Off to the see Hawks tonight.

blah blah blah
leafs suck

blah blah blah

leafs still suck

im waiting for the day internet TV takes off and i can watch the highlights i want when i want

Back
Top Bottom