Cancun, Mexico.....anyone been??

Extremely overrated IMO. The touristy aspect of it is really corny and there really ain't that much to do unless you got a group of friends that are down to just have a lot of fun on your own and make your own plans...but its no different form South Beach personally. Its expensive too because they don't even need to take Pesos down there like that and they mark up the price of the dollar on regular things, so they're making a KILLING of off you.

The clubs aren't anything special...just big venues that play SUPER outdated music.

Better off going to panama city or somewhere on the panhandle.
Its not worth it unless you're going to do something really "mexican" like viewing the ruins or something.
If you MUST go to Mexico, go to a place that isn't so damn touristy... i felt like I left the country...basically to go to Orlando or something. But if you do choose to go elsewhere, know that your safety isn't as guaranteed as it is in Cancun just because of the relative amount of tourists there.

If you want to go somewhere exotic, try Carnival in Trinidad or something (it might be too late), or another country that isn't so much "tourist trap" as it is "exotic location" where you can mix with locals and really feel like you visited another country. 

I went in 2008 for spring break with my frat brothers. All we did was drink and try to find stuff to do but it was just kinda boring walking up and down the strip in stupid souvenior shops after a while and the clubs continually sucked cause we never liked the music...like if this was 2008, they were playing nothing older than 2002...and for a group of black guys who threw house parties on the regular, this was just really annoying. The only memorable thing we did was not even in cancun, but visiting the ruins. That was my favorite memory. Not the overcrowded beach. Not the crowds of people. Not the feeling of a plastic environment. 

Looking back it was cool for what it was, but I'd recommend people to pass cancun up over other legitimate getaway spots where they can really embrace what it means to "travel" 

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Extremely overrated IMO. The touristy aspect of it is really corny and there really ain't that much to do unless you got a group of friends that are down to just have a lot of fun on your own and make your own plans...but its no different form South Beach personally. Its expensive too because they don't even need to take Pesos down there like that and they mark up the price of the dollar on regular things, so they're making a KILLING of off you.

The clubs aren't anything special...just big venues that play SUPER outdated music.

Better off going to panama city or somewhere on the panhandle.
Its not worth it unless you're going to do something really "mexican" like viewing the ruins or something.
If you MUST go to Mexico, go to a place that isn't so damn touristy... i felt like I left the country...basically to go to Orlando or something. But if you do choose to go elsewhere, know that your safety isn't as guaranteed as it is in Cancun just because of the relative amount of tourists there.

If you want to go somewhere exotic, try Carnival in Trinidad or something (it might be too late), or another country that isn't so much "tourist trap" as it is "exotic location" where you can mix with locals and really feel like you visited another country. 

I went in 2008 for spring break with my frat brothers. All we did was drink and try to find stuff to do but it was just kinda boring walking up and down the strip in stupid souvenior shops after a while and the clubs continually sucked cause we never liked the music...like if this was 2008, they were playing nothing older than 2002...and for a group of black guys who threw house parties on the regular, this was just really annoying. The only memorable thing we did was not even in cancun, but visiting the ruins. That was my favorite memory. Not the overcrowded beach. Not the crowds of people. Not the feeling of a plastic environment. 

Looking back it was cool for what it was, but I'd recommend people to pass cancun up over other legitimate getaway spots where they can really embrace what it means to "travel" 
Yup, I went there December 2010. Basically felt like I was still in the US with all those tourists. My hotel was on the quieter side of the city, but it was right on the beach, so it was cool to just relax there all day. The ruins were cool but it got hot as @#$% all of a sudden (80+), and it was also allergy season down there
sick.gif
, so all I wanted to do was go home
laugh.gif

worthless disgusting place filled with obese americans and zero culture. i went because i had a free hotel for a week and i got some cheap airfare with friends. i had fun because i made the best of it but i would rather visist afghanistan.

i knew i had made a huge mistake when i tried to get some cheap mexican food. every single mexican i asked about authentic food (aka the cheap carts where you can get a torta for like 2 bucks) would point me to some overpriced terrible mexican applebees.

seriously, cancun is a piece of @!%$. dont go. if you have to go to mexico, hit up puerto vallarta. thats a much better mix where its a tourist location but its not a goddamn mexican disney land.

but i recommend south east asia. thailand. go to it my friend.

Acapulco is better, way better, i want to go back soon, this time with my girl though. But last I heard crime and violence has out of control.

Went to Playa del Carmen (just south of Cancun) twice and I really liked it.  Never really left the resort.  Get treated like a king doing an all inclusive in a 5 star hotel is
pimp.gif

Liked puerto Vallarta better. Cancun was dope for the ruins, town was too touristy.

When i went last (About 2-3 years ago also been going every few years since i was 8 to cancun) I liked it i visit mexico in general often so maybe that helps me a bit? Either way i enjoyed it last time i went my hotel had a Footlocker in it lol 
pimp.gif

It's no where near as bad as people are making it out but there's also a lot of truth to a lot of what's being said.

I didn't feel like I was still in America, half the tourist I met were from Europe, met a lot of UK girls.

I also definitely recommend checking out the local clubs for a different experience from the big touristy clubs. Those are venues I had the most fun at.

Missed out on the ruins, big regret.

Rented jetski's and had a tour guide take as out the reef and snorkeled, that was hella fun.

All that said, Puerto Vallarta > Cancun

Man I hate they messed up Tijuana! I had mad chicks out there. I hear alot of them are dead now. They hung my ex by her neck and set her on fire last summer. I told her a couple years back she was playing with fire.

going to cabo next weekend thurs-monday.. any tips/advice for a college spring break? lookin forward to the breezies
devil.gif
devil.gif

Back
Top Bottom