Career Guidance - All questions answered! Vol: I'm tired of the negativity

With all the constant negativity surrounding the job market, I'd love to help anyone that's willing to try.

I'm by no means satisfied with my career, yet, but I would like to help people with resumes/job searching/skill honing, and pretty much anything career related.

As for my background, I have BS in Business Administration and General Engineering. I graduated with a 3.2 GPA (not that impressive), but I've landed a full-time job right out of college, working as a consultant for a big firm, and will be moving to a new company in June as an Operations Lead.

I want to help with anything, so post here with a question you think many can benefit from, pm me if you don't want to share.

How did you manage to land that job? Just by doing online apps or were there connects involved?

Originally Posted by jmb1523

Help me find a internship in Industrial Engineering. Please?

Perfect! Industrial Engineering is the closest to what I'm doing, working with manufacturing sites and what not, can you give me more info on what companies you're looking at?

Originally Posted by Antidope

How did you manage to land that job? Just by doing online apps or were there connects involved?

What job are you talking about? But either way, both full-time positions were landed completely on my own, no connections involved at all.

While I'm definitely not satisfied with my job right now I'd also be willing to help.
I can help with putting together/editing resumes, proofreading/editing papers for

people here that are still in school etc. Just let me know if anyone wants help in

these areas and I got you.

By the way my background: BA in English Writing on a Journalism track from 

the University of Pittsburgh, graduated last May and I'm currently working entry 

level at a publishing company in Pittsburgh.

Young people helping other young people 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleD Productions

While I'm definitely not satisfied with my job right now I'd also be willing to help.
I can help with putting together/editing resumes, proofreading/editing papers for

people here that are still in school etc. Just let me know if anyone wants help in

the University of Pittsburgh, graduated last May and I'm currently working entry 

pimp.gif
Haha, right on! And have you ever heard of Razorfish or Digitas?

Originally Posted by LosPollosHermanos

Originally Posted by Antidope

What job are you talking about? But either way, both full-time positions were landed completely on my own, no connections involved at all.
I was talking about the consulting job, I should have been more clear. Good work man

Originally Posted by DoubleD Productions

pimp.gif
Haha, right on! And have you ever heard of Razorfish or Digitas?
Nope, I haven't but please enlighten me... 

Perfect! Industrial Engineering is the closest to what I'm doing, working with manufacturing sites and what not, can you give me more info on what companies you're looking at?

I just did a interview with Lowes Distribution Center.  I really liked Eaton,Crown, and Miliken, but i couldn't even get through with them due to my GPA (below 3.0).  But right now Im just tryna to get anything i can, just so i can get my foot in the door, and have some experience when I start looking for a full time job.

So if you want to get a job in a Consulting firm, get ready for long hours, honestly, but there's a good amount of traveling and freedom.

Look at Accenture (always hiring), PWC, Deloitte, Boston, Cognizant, E&Y, KPMG, but you already know about the accounting firms.

Do you want to stay accounting, or are you willing to change industries. Currently, my client is a HUGE telecom player, and telecom is booming right now.

PS. most of these firms, especially Accenture don't care which major you are.

got my Bachelor of Science in Public Policy in December 2011.
Things I've notice.

1. People say network..network... networking is fine and dandy but the problem you face is getting someone's contact and they never return emails or calls.. its one thing to be persistent but at some time you have to be like F it.

2. You will NEVER EVER get a job just applying online especially a recent grad.

3. Establish a great relationship with your school's career services and keep up relationships with alumni, people will help you when there's a commonality.. I've notice.

With all that said 3 months later I am still unemployed but staying hopeful I practice 3 P's Proactive, Persistence and Patience. This job market is tough, don't let anybody fool you but just stay hopeful.

I just did a interview with Lowes Distribution Center.  I really liked Eaton,Crown, and Miliken, but i couldn't even get through with them due to my GPA (below 3.0).  But right now Im just tryna to get anything i can, just so i can get my foot in the door, and have some experience when I start looking for a full time job.
So you want to work with warehousing? Are you still in school? do you have a concentration? (Supply-chain, procurement, aggragate planning, operations, quality, etc.)

January 2012 Electrical Engineering Grad from George Mason, no experience, looking for related entry level position anywhere in the DC area. any help is appreciated. don't care if it's consulting, networking, or whatever, although Networking and Communications is preferred

Originally Posted by Shahin1189

January 2012 Electrical Engineering Grad from George Mason, no experience, looking for related entry level position anywhere in the DC area. any help is appreciated. don't care if it's consulting, networking, or whatever, although Networking and Communications is preferred

Try Accenture, and Deloitte for sure. They both have Technology Consultant positions. Excelacom is a small firm, that is getting larger. Also, have your tried working for the gov't, the navy does have positions for people aren't part of the armed forces, as electrical engineers. I know in Philadelphia, they do, down by our Naval Yard.

Let me know if this helps or not.

ok man thanks, I'll try them. I've applied to so many places, i'm getting tired of this whole thing. I had an interview at the USPTO 3 months ago, but they take forever to make a decision, they told me hopefully sometime this month. it just seems tough without any technical experience, starting fresh.

Originally Posted by Shahin1189

ok man thanks, I'll try them. I've applied to so many places, i'm getting tired of this whole thing. I had an interview at the USPTO 3 months ago, but they take forever to make a decision, they told me hopefully sometime this month. it just seems tough without any technical experience, starting fresh.

In August, when I was working for my current position, I applied to over 40 different positions, some I heard from, some I didn't. And that's ok, you just gotta persevere. It doesn't hurt to apply right?

This thread couldn't have come at a better time.

Got my Bachelors of Science in Finance in May 2010 from Florida State University. No experience. I'm looking for an entry level position that will hopefully lead to a financial analyst job. I've been looking in Florida for a while but I haven't had much luck. I'm willing to relocate to anywhere in the US. Any help is appreciated.

Originally Posted by maddog345

Got my Bachelors of Science in Finance in May 2010 from Florida State University. No experience. I'm looking for an entry level position that will hopefully lead to a financial analyst job. I've been looking in Florida for a while but I haven't had much luck. I'm willing to relocate to anywhere in the US. Any help is appreciated.

Have you applied anywhere yet? I would suggest the obvious, GS, BR, Barclays (Big firms), do you know of any smaller local firms? In philadelphia, we have SIG and Turner Investments, both relatively large institutions.

Do you have a high GPA? Any experience?

Have you applied anywhere yet? I would suggest the obvious, GS, BR, Barclays (Big firms), do you know of any smaller local firms? In philadelphia, we have SIG and Turner Investments, both relatively large institutions.

I graduated with a 3.2 GPA. I used to run my own business so I have a little experience when it comes to financial reporting, budgeting & modeling. Even thought I have a little experience in those fields, I still think firms would look at me as an entry-level candidate because I did those things on a small scale. I'm pretty proficient when it comes all the Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, Powerpoint & Access).

I graduated with a 3.2 GPA. I used to run my own business so I have a little experience when it comes to financial reporting, budgeting & modeling. Even thought I have a little experience in those fields, I still think firms would look at me as an entry-level candidate because I did those things on a small scale. I'm pretty proficient when it comes all the Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, Powerpoint & Access).
Absolutely, they def. would. Besides what I listed already, I know JNJ has a FLDP, so does Lockheed Martin. With that being I know there are hundreds of companies that have something similar (2 years of work, rotating a couple of times in various roles).

Craigslist.com has gotten me all of my jobs with a Bachelors degree in IT... I love it

if you want info on how to do it LMK

Anybody interested in the following:

Management/Strategy Consulting, Finance/Banking, TFA, or B-School feel free to throw out some questions. I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Back
Top Bottom