Cash 4 Clunkers (A Retrospective) Vol. 310 Toyota SUPRAS Destroyed!!!

�I came across this and thought it might make for intresting discussion.

�Among the victims are 3 Alfa Romeo Milanos - 4 Audi S4's and 4 S6's - 45 BMW 6 Series - 1 M3, 1 M5, and 1 Z3 - 52 Allantes - A Few 1994 - 96 Impala SS - 132 Corvettes - 200 El Caminos - 39 TC By Masarati - 24 Lightnings - 107 Ford Taurus SHO - 9 Jaguar XJR - 1 2006 350Z Roadster - 310 Toyota Supras

Another vid I couldnt embed :

WARNING: These videos are graphic watch at your own risk.
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by seniosoul

i wonder how much platinum they got from all those catalytic converters.

Not much.  Most modern day converters no longer contain platinum and the ones that do only contain about $5.00 worth.

This plan did nothing but make things worse. Not only did it destroy a bunch of good used cars that could have been sold most of the sales went to Asian car producers
30t6p3b.gif

This whole thing just baffles me. One of the requirements to be a "clunker" in this program was that your car had to be driveable. I understand the need for getting dangerous vehicals with improper eqipment off our roads but many of these cars were still fit to be driveable for 10 or more years. I just don't understand why they would destroy perfectly good engines.

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

This whole thing just baffles me. One of the requirements to be a "clunker" in this program was that your car had to be driveable. I understand the need for getting dangerous vehicals with improper eqipment off our roads but many of these cars were still fit to be driveable for 10 or more years. I just don't understand why they would destroy perfectly good engines.

^
eek.gif
. I don't know a lot about cars, but wow. What a waste.

Originally Posted by taymane23

how would I go about buying a car from cash for clunkers?
Basically, you can't. 

I suppose you might be able to find a body that was in the program but EVERY SINGLE engine was destroyed with "liquid glass" and spray painted orange. The VINs for these engines have been blacklisted and will not be able to be registered again. 

Originally Posted by taymane23

Basically, you can't. 

I suppose you might be able to find a body that was in the program but EVERY SINGLE engine was destroyed with "liquid glass" and spray painted orange. The VINs for these engines have been blacklisted and will not be able to be registered again. 

On a few of those youtube videos the people said they saved the cars they had from that program though, so there's no possible way to save a car like they did?

Literally throwing $ and jobs down the drain. Whats wrong with our world sometimes? 
30t6p3b.gif

Thanks for posting op.

taymane23 wrote:

taymane23 wrote:
Basically, you can't. 

On a few of those youtube videos the people said they saved the cars they had from that program though, so there's no possible way to save a car like they did?

If your talking about the guy with the Mercury Grand Marquis, he states in his comments section that the particular car  was not actually in the governments "cash for clunkers" program, but was found in a local junkyard about to get scrapped and he saved it. This is always a great option when trying to find a car DIRT cheap, but be prepared to get your hands dirty because its going to need some work.

When the program was still in effect you could check out the yet to be destroyed "clunkers" and buy them from the dealership before they were sent to the scrapyard be destroyed. Most people that did this worked at a dealership or had some kind of dealership connect.

I also suppose there were probably a few shady dealerships that re-VINned certain cars. There are skewed reports of a GNX that may or may not have been destroyed in the program.
nerd.gif
devil.gif
nerd.gif

Some more cars that were trashed

1997 Aston Martin DB7 Volante:

1988 Aurora Cars Ltd. (Shelby cobra replica)

1992 BMW 850i

1987 Buick GNX

1987 Excalibur Autos Phaeton

1990 Laforza

1985 Maserati Quattroporte

1999 Mercedes C43 AMG

1992 GMC Typhoon

1997 Rolls-Royce Continental R

2006 Roush Stage 3 F-150

And 37 people even tried to clunk models that were less than a year old. 

I can really see the effects. CL usually has a couple good deals a week but now its barely a couple a month.

Good used trucks are almost impossible to find these days.

For a quality used truck, people are asking like $7,000 since there are so few of them left.

^ Its the same thing with old ecoboxes. Most people are holding on to theirs and the ones that are selling them are doing so at a premium.

Be a service writter at the time, the dealership ordered us to lock all engines and tow them away:frown:

I have a 1994 ford explorer that I considered turning in but I didnt and 100,000 miles later its still goen,I drive it 240 miles everyday for a delivery job and it runs even better than when I bought it,I consider myself about 20k richer,thanks to the people who did turn in there explorers because I can always find good used parts at my local junkyard for about 15% of what they would be new.I do get kinda sad when I think of all the quality vehicles people gave up on.

Damn I would have taken that Vette too!

I read this article in a motortrend magazine a few years back whoever destroyed those M3's, M5's, Vette's, 850i's Grand National, S4's, S6's, and Supra's need to be slapped with a hot metal pole. Unless they were completely rusted out.

Back
Top Bottom