Chris Rock is the Best Black Comedian Of Our Time Vol. Sorry Chappelle

Originally Posted by 6 rings MJ

How do you defined "Our Time"?

80s/90s babys which excludes Pryor but includes Murphy. When I rank Rock over Chappelle I'm not strictly going off who is "haha" funny im including substance and going on more than just stand up and sketch. Chapelle has no good movies roles and outside of his stand up and his show he has little to show compared to everyone else. Longevity factors a lot also. Who knows what would of happened if he didn't go to Africa though..

rock & murphy are close to the same age
chapelle is much younger, became famous later
i wouldn't consider rock & chapelle of the same time

so if one considers them to be, i pick eddie murphy
over both

rock & murphy are close to the same age
chapelle is much younger, became famous later
i wouldn't consider rock & chapelle of the same time

so if one considers them to be, i pick eddie murphy
over both

You think Richard Pryor passed the torch to Dave...when I think Eddie had it for a minute and in the process became one of the biggest stars we've ever seen. Check out that Rolling Stone issue with Eddie Murphy and dude sheds light on a lot of stuff from back in the day. Most of it is career oriented, but I think if he focused on his stand up more Eddie could have been on of the best ever. As far as today I would have to go with Chris Rock simply because he makes you think and laugh. Few comedians can blend both in an act, but Chris always manages to do so. Dave had a short run, but the show will go down as one of the best in history. Better than Chris Rock's show, but behind Martin and and just ahead of In Living Color. Speaking of which, I'm not even excited about the possible rehash of old +$%$ that would only seem right if the entire original cast came back for a few appearances. I know Jim Carrey would be hilarious if he made a cameo here and there, along with David Allen Grier, Tommy Davidson, and the Wayans brothers. There have been so many funny black comedians throughout history, and I just went back recently and checked out the Dolemite films which were pretty funny. Seen a movie called Petey Wheatstraw not too long ago and it was a classic.

You think Richard Pryor passed the torch to Dave...when I think Eddie had it for a minute and in the process became one of the biggest stars we've ever seen. Check out that Rolling Stone issue with Eddie Murphy and dude sheds light on a lot of stuff from back in the day. Most of it is career oriented, but I think if he focused on his stand up more Eddie could have been on of the best ever. As far as today I would have to go with Chris Rock simply because he makes you think and laugh. Few comedians can blend both in an act, but Chris always manages to do so. Dave had a short run, but the show will go down as one of the best in history. Better than Chris Rock's show, but behind Martin and and just ahead of In Living Color. Speaking of which, I'm not even excited about the possible rehash of old +$%$ that would only seem right if the entire original cast came back for a few appearances. I know Jim Carrey would be hilarious if he made a cameo here and there, along with David Allen Grier, Tommy Davidson, and the Wayans brothers. There have been so many funny black comedians throughout history, and I just went back recently and checked out the Dolemite films which were pretty funny. Seen a movie called Petey Wheatstraw not too long ago and it was a classic.

Chris Rock's loud obnoxious delivery makes it tough for me to enjoy his standups at times, although as far as show his show's sketches.
roll.gif

Dave Chappelle is just that dude no matter how you look at it, he's always been that dude.
Eddie was funny, but I feel his subject matter during standup got repetitive at times, and SOME of his movies are CORNY as hell.
30t6p3b.gif

I've never seen any funny Jamie Foxx standups, but dude is one of a kind, triple threat, son brings the
laugh.gif

Pryor, AHEAD OF HIS TIME, GOAT, paved the way for comedians of all sorts.
Kevin Hart is one of my favorite newcomers, but dude recycles his jokes a lot which isn't that great, all of his new material always has me in tears though
roll.gif

Martin Lawrence, I'm sure everyone agrees he's top 4, at least. 

Chris Rock's loud obnoxious delivery makes it tough for me to enjoy his standups at times, although as far as show his show's sketches.
roll.gif

Dave Chappelle is just that dude no matter how you look at it, he's always been that dude.
Eddie was funny, but I feel his subject matter during standup got repetitive at times, and SOME of his movies are CORNY as hell.
30t6p3b.gif

I've never seen any funny Jamie Foxx standups, but dude is one of a kind, triple threat, son brings the
laugh.gif

Pryor, AHEAD OF HIS TIME, GOAT, paved the way for comedians of all sorts.
Kevin Hart is one of my favorite newcomers, but dude recycles his jokes a lot which isn't that great, all of his new material always has me in tears though
roll.gif

Martin Lawrence, I'm sure everyone agrees he's top 4, at least. 

I still think Affion Crockett is the best comedian of our time. The best we will ever see. I think Kenan too. Kenan and Affion are running the black comedians as of now. No one is touching them.

In the flow was a classic show. It got cancelled because contract issues. Hopefully Affion can bring it back with another network.

I still think Affion Crockett is the best comedian of our time. The best we will ever see. I think Kenan too. Kenan and Affion are running the black comedians as of now. No one is touching them.

In the flow was a classic show. It got cancelled because contract issues. Hopefully Affion can bring it back with another network.

If we're speaking strictly stand-up, Chris Rock is one of the best comedians, regardless of color of all-time. How you define our time is another question, because if you mean 90s-now, then I'd probably agree with you on a stand-up argument, but if you want to reach back into the 80s then we have more to pool from.

But Chappelle vs. Rock is a matter of what you consider, all things considered it's a harder call because Chappelle's Show was huge and while he's been in a lot, Rock is much, much stronger as a stand-up comedian than anything else.

If we're speaking strictly stand-up, Chris Rock is one of the best comedians, regardless of color of all-time. How you define our time is another question, because if you mean 90s-now, then I'd probably agree with you on a stand-up argument, but if you want to reach back into the 80s then we have more to pool from.

But Chappelle vs. Rock is a matter of what you consider, all things considered it's a harder call because Chappelle's Show was huge and while he's been in a lot, Rock is much, much stronger as a stand-up comedian than anything else.

Originally Posted by DajonDondo

floydthinking.png
he wasnt even the funniest person on the wild'n out

floydthinking.png

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

floydthinking.png

Exactly.
Dude's show got canned...after like 2-3 shows. 
sick.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

floydthinking.png

Exactly.
Dude's show got canned...after like 2-3 shows. 
sick.gif
roll.gif

did anyone see that hbo thing where louie ck, seinfield, rock, and gervais were chatting about comedy? rock was hilarious in that..gergvais was a snobby $(#$Y(

did anyone see that hbo thing where louie ck, seinfield, rock, and gervais were chatting about comedy? rock was hilarious in that..gergvais was a snobby $(#$Y(

Back
Top Bottom